Yet another Sarver Systems build, no name yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

SarverSystems

Supreme [H]ardness
Yeah yeah, I know. It's been FOREVER since I worked on a new mod. Divorce will do that to you. If you have a membership, you'd already know all about it in the GenMay section.

Anyways, onto the fun stuff.

Parts are all ordered, but not all parts have come in yet.

Case:
Apevia X-QPack2, black with silver trim, 3 windows.

Motherboard:
Asus M2NPV-VM

CPU:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+

RAM:
(2)Corsair 1GB DDR2 modules

Video Card:
XFX Geforce 84400GS

HD:
250GB Western Digital, SATA

DVDROM:
Lite-On 16X DVDROM, black, SATA

DVDRW:
Lite-On 20X DVDRW, black, SATA, lightscribe

Reader:
Mitsumi floppy drive with card reader, black

Input:
Microsoft Wreless Optical Desktop 4000

Speakers:
Logitech X-530

Software:
Vista Home Premium 64-bit, Norton 360, Microsoft Office 2003, Nero 7, etc....

Mods:
Too many to list. Lets just say it's gonna be bright! Watch this post, I'll post pics of everything as it progresses.

I've ordered parts for this mod from 4 different online resellers, Ebay, a science store, and even Hong Kong! There's gonna be some "typical mods", not-so-typical mods, and some new mods that you probably haven't seen on here yet.

Obligatory "first page pic":

purple2-002.JPG

oneil

Limp Gawd
Isint there a rule about having pics in the first post of a worklog? :rolleyes: :D :D
I'm waiting to start my worklog because I dont have pics to put up :(

Looks good, your promise of new modding has teased my curiosity!

pjaank

[H]ard|Gawd
Interesting on the floppy/memory card reader combo. Where did you get it from? Directly from Mitsumi?

SarverSystems

Supreme [H]ardness
I took some pics last night. Working on my website to get the pics up. I promise, this will be worth it.

More parts are due in today!!!! Probably sitting on my porch getting soaked in the rain.

game14

[H]ard|Gawd
Interesting on the floppy/memory card reader combo. Where did you get it from? Directly from Mitsumi?

newegg or zipzoomfly got them , got one some time ago , it works ok - but cardreader is kind of very slow ... :(

BMWlover

Limp Gawd
I am looking froward to seeing the X-Qpack 2. I have seen a few pictures of it but I can't grasp its scale. Lots of pics please ;)

Subscribed

SarverSystems

Supreme [H]ardness
First, some destruction!!!

Here we can see one of the standard Logitech X530 speakers:
purple2-019.JPG

We've just GOTTA mod it. But first, we have to take it apart! Pop the grill off VERY carefully, and it exposes 6 screws. Take out the 6 screws, and the speaker will literally fall apart in your hands. Take out the 2 screws holding each speaker to the faceeplate and you should have the speakers knocked down as far as they'll go. Be extra careful when removing the grill on the speaker with the volume controls on it. I had a harder time getting the grill to pop off.

Here's what all the parts look like when they're taken apart:
purple2-018.JPG

purple2-008.JPG

Hopefully this weekend, if the weather permits, I will be able to paint these.

SarverSystems

Supreme [H]ardness
Next up is destruction of the subwoofer.

This one was a little more difficult. To take this apart, carefully pop the grill off, then remove the screws holding the speaker in place. DO NOT remove the 2 screws on the bottom of the subwoofer. They hold in the power transformer, and are VERY difficult to get back in place. Trust me on this.

BEFORE:
purple2-028.JPG

AFTER:
purple2-022.JPG

purple2-029.JPG

SarverSystems

Supreme [H]ardness
Mmmmmm, FINALLY some SATA optical drives that are affordable!!!!

We'll be modding these slightly as well.
purple2-005.JPG

purple2-003.JPG

SarverSystems

Supreme [H]ardness
This is something my sister (who this is being built for) specifically requested: LED case feet.

purple2-014.JPG

purple2-007.JPG

However, because they are blue, they must be disassembled to be replaced with the proper color LEDs.

purple2-010.JPG

SarverSystems

Supreme [H]ardness
I decided to split this project into several smaller mini-project logs.
Hopefully it'll make it easier to track each part of the project as it progresses. I'll be able to go into more detail if I focus each project log on individual parts of the project.

All of the pics will be available on my site if you want to track them all in one place.

Mods: I'll be sure to make each thread different enough so it doesn't come across as forum spamming.

Status
Not open for further replies.