WoW dueling rules or proper ethics?

[Fate]Doom

Limp Gawd
Is there some unwritten rulebook to dueling in World of Warcraft?

Yesterday I went to the local dueling spot in Westfall where people seem to hang out and bet on duels. As usual I wore my "second tier" gear to entice people into dueling me and a Level 25 Night Elf Hunter took the bait.

I have a Level 22 Paladin with some decent gear and once he inspected me and the bet was on I switched into my top flight stuff. People do this all the time to not "show thier cards" until it begins. He was also a jerk and beating much lower levels than him and talking smack to them after.

Anyhow, my Paladin when geared up with Rings, Spells, and + stat gear has over 900 HP and can do melee damage between 120 and 200 per strike with my "Orc Crusher +3" not counting Judgements and Criticals. So it begins and we are pretty even at first until I land a Critical taking off almost 250HP. He rallies back and gets me down to less than 150HP. Then I use "Lay on Hands" which costs all my Mana but gives me all my HP back and I win about ten seconds later.

He immediately says "healing during a duel is wrong" and I did not deserve the win because I broke the dueling rules. "Lay on Hands" is a Redemption Spell that Pals have that does cost Mana so whats the big deal? Others were agreeing with him, but some with me saying its legit.

Is there some mysterious rule book or guidelines to follow? I mean he was 3 levels above me and all. I thought duels were anything goes?

What gives?

Noodle Boy

Limp Gawd
Oh please, he is just a sore loser. Why can't you heal during a duel with someone who's levels above you? If there is some kind of "code", then would'nt there be some "rule" where you can only fight players at your level?

$$grh$$

n00b
Of course you should be able to heal, it's one of a Paladins main advantages over a straight fighter. That's like telling a mage he can't Nuke.

UltimaParadox

Supreme [H]ardness
There is stuff like this in any MMORPG, just tell him to suck it up and if he doesn't like it, he doesn't have to duel you again.

Those are the people when you watch them die, you can not help but to laugh

BassTek

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm not sure about WoW, but some games let you heal with items like potions and whatnot. Using those during a duel would be wrong, but using healing skills is completely fine. If healing items were allowed it would basically be a battle of who has the most in their inventory, not who has the best build/skills/weapons.

Acceptable_Risk

[H]ard|Gawd
I could see not using potions or something since, whoever could afford more would win. But using a skill that's fundamental to your character is just common sense.

r00k

2[H]4U
although the skill may be fundamental to the character in pvm, pvp duels in my experience have always been without the use of healing. its an unfair advantage even if it is a skill, because a duel is a measure of who can kill who first, of who has the better reaction times and / or more powerful attacks / better defenses. after the work one would put into taking a high HP character down, i would feel pretty upset if they healed and i couldn't / wasn't allowed to. only case in point where healing was not an issue was in Diablo 2 where weapons took %of hit life steal, because both characters could get hits on one another to heal, but weapons could do enough damage to kill a character before amount of life stolen could heal the dying.

kpedge

Gawd
If it's allowed by the game, then do it. If it was cheating, it would be off limits.

Acceptable_Risk

[H]ard|Gawd
I still fail to see how a healing skill built into a character is any different than a form of defense. It's not free. It costs mana that could be utilized in other ways to do damage or activate defensive skills of another kind. Taking away a Paladin's healing because most other characters don't have it is like saying a hunter can't use a pet because it's two-on-one. It's part of the survivability of the class.

Nyx

n00b
when dueling you can do anything you want if you have the skill...however you look like a better dueler if you don't use these healing abilities or extra abilities you have. I always call somone cheap if they heal while i am dueling them but i do acknowledge that it is a skill their character has so jebus christ they can use it!! thats what its meant for! you just need to learn how to get around other classes benefits... such as if a paladin starts healing.. use a stun skill if you have one... if a mage trys to freeze you in place stun him before he can... I always never use healing spells unless my adversary uses one in which case he is asking for trouble anyway because i will still kill him lol. There is always something to counter what other classes can dish out usually.... and nothing is unfair if you can do it... it may look cheap but its still part of the game lol.

The people trying to limit the skills that you can use because they see it as fair are crappy duelers and just looking for the edge.

{EB}NuTSymPToM{EB}

[H]ard|Gawd
thats why i dont duel paladins...i accept that lay on hands is a part of the game...its the cheapest and easiest way to have a garaunteed win in almost any situation

ill admit it blows being a warrior sometimes cuz i hafta start fighting just to have enough rage to use any abilities, let alone a good one like mortal strike...for me paladins are basically unbeatable in 1v1, and only once last week did i ever time a shield bash to keep him from laying on hands and then executing....that was my #1 moment in my WoW career

i wont hate on paladins though...teaming up with one makes instances so much easier

everybody has there place

Bennyb

2[H]4U
I was getting kinda borde with my mage, waiting for friends to lvl up, so I made a Warrior. At lvl 16 I was challenged to a duel by a 17 pali and said what the hell. I managed to beat him 3 times but that was only because he wasn't healing.

Honestly, with my mage it is pretty easy to beat a pali. If i just poly morph, blast with 2 fireballs, nova, and counterspell the heal I can usually win.

wood

Limp Gawd
IcedEmotion said:
I'm not sure about WoW, but some games let you heal with items like potions and whatnot. Using those during a duel would be wrong, but using healing skills is completely fine. If healing items were allowed it would basically be a battle of who has the most in their inventory, not who has the best build/skills/weapons.
I disagree (on some counts). Healing is totally legal, and people bitching about are [insert flame from above posts here]. However, there is a cooldown time on pots, so even if one had amassed hundreds of uber-pots, they could only concievably get one out during a duel. Cooldown is 1-2 min. for pots, i think.

Gustavus

Limp Gawd
1. Healing is totally fine in duels anything goes
2. NERF PALLLYYSSS

30 Undead priest =P Galgamar {Legion of Doom}
Bleeding Hollow

sojumk

[H]ard|Gawd
[Fate]Doom said:
Is there some unwritten rulebook to dueling in World of Warcraft?

Yesterday I went to the local dueling spot in Westfall where people seem to hang out and bet on duels. As usual I wore my "second tier" gear to entice people into dueling me and a Level 25 Night Elf Hunter took the bait.

I have a Level 22 Paladin with some decent gear and once he inspected me and the bet was on I switched into my top flight stuff. People do this all the time to not "show thier cards" until it begins. He was also a jerk and beating much lower levels than him and talking smack to them after.

Anyhow, my Paladin when geared up with Rings, Spells, and + stat gear has over 900 HP and can do melee damage between 120 and 200 per strike with my "Orc Crusher +3" not counting Judgements and Criticals. So it begins and we are pretty even at first until I land a Critical taking off almost 250HP. He rallies back and gets me down to less than 150HP. Then I use "Lay on Hands" which costs all my Mana but gives me all my HP back and I win about ten seconds later.

He immediately says "healing during a duel is wrong" and I did not deserve the win because I broke the dueling rules. "Lay on Hands" is a Redemption Spell that Pals have that does cost Mana so whats the big deal? Others were agreeing with him, but some with me saying its legit.

Is there some mysterious rule book or guidelines to follow? I mean he was 3 levels above me and all. I thought duels were anything goes?

What gives?

you have too much time to worry about these kind of things...just a game so enjoy and ignore the stupidity of some ppl

Micas

Limp Gawd
Just use divine protection before you heal.. they won't be able to interrupt you.. then finish them off..

HRslammR

2[H]4U
RancidWAnnaRIot said:
after reading this... i just feel like a dweeb now...

i did too at first, then i realized i knew everything he was talking about. ;)

i'm not a fan of duel's persay, i'd rather be out questing and run across some alliance members and a mini battle breaks out. but to be perfectly honest, of all even 1v1 fights i've seen, the horde wins 98% of the time. alliance seem to only win when it's 34-24 and the 24 is fighting a mob and not expecting to be attacked.

obs

Supreme [H]ardness
In a duel, all of your skills are fair game. The only real rule is no potion popping.

Steel Chicken

Supreme [H]ardness
hes a whiner, period
tell him to go back to pvp'ing characters 5 lvls below him

when I PvP a pally, and they are about to heal, I stun them, which interrupts the process. end of problem.

auxout

Limp Gawd
HRslammR said:
even 1v1 fights i've seen, the horde wins 98% of the time. alliance seem to only win when it's 34-24 and the 24 is fighting a mob and not expecting to be attacked.

Of course if you're horde you're gonna see more horde winning :p
On my server (az(zs)galor) I see more horde high lvl gankers, but of course it's probably cause I'm alliance. My new rule is red you're dead, I've tried to be nice to the lower lvls it just doesn't work! But I still refuse to corpse camp, I give em some space, if they run I let em go, if they try to fight well.....

Speakin of the 34-24, the other night in lakeshire 3 lvl 35+ that got thier asses handed to them not once, not twice, but three times by 4-5 lvl 25 alliance. It was great fun! I was really suprised I could even hit them, thier lvls appearing as skulls and all.

Now on topic, what a whiner, if it's in your power to do and it's not cheating then use it, man thats like telling me I can't vanish with my rougue. As for no potions, why the hell not if you are a serious dueler/pvp you should have exactly the same as they have.

wood

Limp Gawd
auxout said:
On my server (az(zs)galor)
Heh, my friends and I started on that server, but switched to Laughing Skull cuz the lag was horrible. It's too bad, we were getting kinda attached to that server, what with it being a homonym for "ass galor." We dubbed it the T & A server, but were forced to jump ship, due to 5 min. + waiting time to loot a freakin corpse on launch day.