WOW, 1g ram or 2g?

i've got 1g, should I add another?

• Total voters

dekard

2[H]4U
The system specs are in my sig, I'm just looking for comments on how much of a difference adding another gig of ram will make. I've heard some comments that it eliminates lag in IF on mid-high end systems. What would you all say?

Unit-0

Limp Gawd
The amount of RAM you need is actually not related to the lag problem in Ironforge / Orgrimmar. You're referring to the 30+ seconds of freeze where your computer takes a dump to try to load all the character data in those cities' hot spots right?

If so, that lag is caused from the huge chunk of data in your HD trickling into your RAM, thus allowing the CPU to operate the game using RAM memory. Once every texture you need is in RAM memory (after the 30+ sec of freeze lag), based your comp specs, you don't get FPS issues anymore am I right?

Two of the the solutions to the problem is to upgrade your RAM latencies (lower the latency = faster in/out RAM data transfers) and to upgrade your hard drive into RAID-0 (two hard drives work to send data to RAM instead of just one).

But anyway, your rig looks great for WoW.

Trepidati0n

[H]F Junkie
I call BS on those who say no. I am so sick and tired of every Tom, Dick, and Harry say "you don't need 2GB of RAM" when they don't have your F'ing computer in front of them. It is the same with BF2. This same damn argument comes up over and over again.

The amount of RAM needed by WoW is directly influenced by how much resolution and eye-candy you have on BEYOND the minimums. It is a simple equation

RAM NEEDED = Core for just handling the objects and their interactiosn + Memory for perty graphics.

It is very easy to figure out how much RAM you need.

1. Reboot your PC.
2. Load and play Wow (especially in the areas where you tend to see hitching/freezing the most).
3. ALT-TAB out.
4. Get to Task Manager
5. Go to performance tab
6. Check Commit Charge PEAK

This is the maximum amount of memory you used (both real and virtual). If this number is greater than or near your real RAM, then you need more RAM. If is less..then won't do you any good or limited good. When I play I easily hit 1.3 GB PEAK. Especialy with IE and TS running.

And no...2GB of RAM will not eliminate IF/Org load in lag...but it will help to minimize it. Another thing that directly affects IF/Org load in lag is you addons. I've noticed a 2:1 performance difference between having mods and not having mods for loading into Org or IF.

-tReP

Concillian

Limp Gawd
Personally I had no real perceptible difference in WoW when moving from 1 gig to 2.

I use a 3000+ ~ 2.16GHz and a 7800 GT in conjunction with that.
My experience is that lag spikes in these large capital cities are just as prevalent with 2GB as with 1GB.

It's quite possible that I did have some swapping going on, but just didn't notice it. My 'feeling' in going from 1 gig to 2 gigs was that there was no noticeable difference.

ThreeDee

[H]F Junkie
..run 2 gigs ..preferably 2 1 gig sticks ..so down the road , you could add another 2 gigs if you want or feel the need to .... :)

legcramp

[H]F Junkie
take ram out of "hers" rig and see how it performs and decide from there.

dekard

2[H]4U
aZn_plyR said:
take ram out of "hers" rig and see how it performs and decide from there.
Hehe.. you are a brilliant man.. thats on of the next things on my agenda.. problem is she's a rogue and its damn hard to take things from her.

dekard

2[H]4U
Although a bit cranky this is the best post I've seen. When I checked the page file peak I saw a number over 1.4 gigabytes.... definately need more ram... Thanks!!!

Trepidati0n said:
I call BS on those who say no. I am so sick and tired of every Tom, Dick, and Harry say "you don't need 2GB of RAM" when they don't have your F'ing computer in front of them. It is the same with BF2. This same damn argument comes up over and over again.

The amount of RAM needed by WoW is directly influenced by how much resolution and eye-candy you have on BEYOND the minimums. It is a simple equation

RAM NEEDED = Core for just handling the objects and their interactiosn + Memory for perty graphics.

1. Reboot your PC.
2. Load and play Wow (especially in the areas where you tend to see hitching/freezing the most).
3. ALT-TAB out.
4. Get to Task Manager
5. Go to performance tab

This is the maximum amount of memory you used (both real and virtual). If this number is greater than or near your real RAM, then you need more RAM. If is less..then won't do you any good or limited good. When I play I easily hit 1.3 GB PEAK. Especialy with IE and TS running.

And no...2GB of RAM will not eliminate IF/Org load in lag...but it will help to minimize it. Another thing that directly affects IF/Org load in lag is you addons. I've noticed a 2:1 performance difference between having mods and not having mods for loading into Org or IF.

-tReP

Bennyb

2[H]4U
Trepidati0n said:

1. Reboot your PC.
3. ALT-TAB out.
4. Get to Task Manager
5. Go to performance tab

-tReP

I used to have 1g, and now have 2, and notice absolutly no difference.

dekard

2[H]4U
I just checked 2 gigs in the system and I noticed a huge reduction in lag in IF. Its a full house by the bank and I've got zero lag.. the framerate is a little lower than I'd like, but I'm running 1600x1200 8aa and 16af, full detail of course.. in windowed mode i'm at about 17 fps.. annnnd about 18 fps in full screen.... lol... never enough power...

UltimaParadox

Supreme [H]ardness
Lots of factors, but for most users 1gig to 2 gig for WoW, will not be a worthwhile upgrade.

The Donut

2[H]4U
I went from 1GB to 2GB recently, threw away my 512 sticks and bought two 1GB sticks - while I don't play WoW, I can tell you that my Battlefield 2 load times decreased literally but ATLEAST 25% and smoothness in game is far greater.

Not to mention, while I work everything feels much snappier.

Dan_D

Extremely [H]
Save your money to buy more gold? Don't tell me you'd actually buy gold for a computer game? That's retarded. Its a game. Trading real money for virtual cash good for one game only is absolutely a bad deal.

You can never have too much ram. I voted for that. Maybe I've got the above thought wrong, but that's what it sounded like you were going for.

Trepidati0n

[H]F Junkie
dekard said:
Although a bit cranky this is the best post I've seen. When I checked the page file peak I saw a number over 1.4 gigabytes.... definately need more ram... Thanks!!!

I'm always cranky about this. Just like the guy above said "I put in 2GB and didn't notice anything" but he also didn't tell us his peak limit and his game settings. Heck, he didn't even mention which game. It's the case of "it didn't affect me so it won't affect you" that pisses me off. There are so many interactions between hardware that unless you have the EXACT same setup as somebody else...your performance will vary.

What you need is based upon what YOU do...not what somebody else does.

2GB fixed all my WoW issues except for "load-in" lag to Org. I never ever hitch or stutter now. It is very nice playing with maxed settings and TS AA ;)

-tReP

Astral Abyss

2[H]4U
2GB of RAM definately smoothed out my gaming experience on WoW, like I figured it would. Lag in IF/Org is minimal, and usually only a minor pause initially, if at all. I never lag anywhere else... ever. (Although I suppose some huge raid might do it, but I haven't participated in any recently)

Also, I can finally minimize WoW to check stuff on the web without waiting for WoW to get paged out to the hard drive so that the computer has enough RAM to load up a browser page and then freeze again when I get back into WoW. Thankfully this is a thing of the past.

It's nice to be able to run a couple taskbar apps without having to worry about them sucking up too much RAM any more.

I can also maintain higher frame rates when using AA and AF. That's the best part.

dekard

2[H]4U
Trepidati0n said:
I'm always cranky about this. Just like the guy above said "I put in 2GB and didn't notice anything" but he also didn't tell us his peak limit and his game settings. Heck, he didn't even mention which game. It's the case of "it didn't affect me so it won't affect you" that pisses me off. There are so many interactions between hardware that unless you have the EXACT same setup as somebody else...your performance will vary.

What you need is based upon what YOU do...not what somebody else does.

2GB fixed all my WoW issues except for "load-in" lag to Org. I never ever hitch or stutter now. It is very nice playing with maxed settings and TS AA ;)

-tReP
Well, I tested your suggestion and found I was in desperate need of more ram. So, I borrowed a gig from another machine and noticed a tremendous improvement in performance in two areas. First, IF is no longer laggy at all and second I can alt-tab instantly now.

dekard

2[H]4U
Sir-Fragalot said:
Save your money to buy more gold? Don't tell me you'd actually buy gold for a computer game? That's retarded. Its a game. Trading real money for virtual cash good for one game only is absolutely a bad deal.

You can never have too much ram. I voted for that. Maybe I've got the above thought wrong, but that's what it sounded like you were going for.

hehe.... just a joke man...

dekard

2[H]4U
The sig shows my system specs which are rather high. The bh-5 is overclocking ram and I'm using a raptor which is a 10,000 rpm harddrive. So, the problem you mention has been minimized as much as possible. Apparently the problem was caused by not having enough ram for Wow to preload the textures. So it had to wait till i was closer and then I was hitting the lag. Thanks for the thoughtful post tho.

Unit-0 said:
The amount of RAM you need is actually not related to the lag problem in Ironforge / Orgrimmar. You're referring to the 30+ seconds of freeze where your computer takes a dump to try to load all the character data in those cities' hot spots right?

If so, that lag is caused from the huge chunk of data in your HD trickling into your RAM, thus allowing the CPU to operate the game using RAM memory. Once every texture you need is in RAM memory (after the 30+ sec of freeze lag), based your comp specs, you don't get FPS issues anymore am I right?

Two of the the solutions to the problem is to upgrade your RAM latencies (lower the latency = faster in/out RAM data transfers) and to upgrade your hard drive into RAID-0 (two hard drives work to send data to RAM instead of just one).

But anyway, your rig looks great for WoW.

NulloModo

Supreme [H]ardness
I don't get it. I have 512 MB of RAM, and I've never had a problem with any game.

Dan_D

Extremely [H]
NulloModo said:
I don't get it. I have 512 MB of RAM, and I've never had a problem with any game.

Not having more ram doesn't mean you'll have "problems", but adding ram does increase performance in some areas of some games. 512MB isn't enough for a high end gaming machine these days.

Filter

[H]F Junkie
adding 2 gigs to wow is worth it and yes you notice a difference over 1 gig.

dekard

2[H]4U
NulloModo said:
It depends on the games you play and the quality settings you play them at. If you play older games or you only play at medium detail you'll need less ram. But most MMO's like everquest or wow will need more ram. Typically theres many more characters on screen at one time in these games than you'll see in another game.

Denki

Gawd
for WoW i think it just really depends on what you do. I'd say a definite yes if you're an EG raider because even w/ 1gig of RAM i get some system lag in MC/BWL. If you just piddle around a lot then prolly not... imho.

dekard

2[H]4U
I tried using 2 gigs in my machine and it made a tremendous difference. Wow!

dissonance said:
I don't really notice a difference in 1gig vs 2gig in WoW.