Can R9 280X CrossFire with HD 7970 GHz Edition? Will it Blend?
Question: After reading our AMD Radeon R9 and R7 Series Re-branding Introduction and ASUS R9 280X DirectCU II TOP Video Card Review, you may be asking yourself, if the R9 280X is a re-brand of HD 7970 GHz Edition, can I CrossFire both for a performance improvement? Will it work?
Test: ASUS R9 280X DirectCU II TOP CrossFire with Reference Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition video card. Single CrossFire cable atop the video cards.
- Catalyst Control Center Confirms CrossFire Enabled
- Catalyst Control Center Confirms a Primary GPU with a Linked GPU under Hardware Info
- GPUz confirms 2 GPUs enabled (CrossFire)
- Crysis 3 confirms "MGPU 2X" mode present in AA settings
- Crysis 3 confirms expected performance increase with two GPUs installed
- Running Stable in Crysis 3, no bugs or crashing
Summary: CrossFire of retail card R9 280X and 7970 GHz Edition reference card = 100% success