Why are TR4 (threadripper) mounting holes a trapezoid?

mauricev

n00b
If my memory is correct, i9 mounts are a square. I can mount the cooler in any direction that fits. But for the Threadripper (TR4), the mounting holes are a trapezoid, with the two (top?) holes closer than the two bottom holes (aside from it not being square). This means the cooler can go in only one way. Why is that?

PS: why must the cover plate be opened and closed in a specific order? What happens if you do it "wrong"?

mda

2[H]4U
I think I read somewhere is that the density of the pins is at least partially responsible for this or else you could end up with a bent pins when securing. Not sure about the trapezoidal holes though.

sirmonkey1985

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2010
intel's mounting has to have uniform pressure across the entire cpu where as AMD doesn't.. but it could just be as simple as intel patented their mounting and thus AMD can't use it(i can't be bothered to look into it though if this is true). as far as the cpu install i don't think it's even possible to do it in the wrong order and if you do there's a chance of bending the pins would be my guess.

Nobu

[H]F Junkie
PS: why must the cover plate be opened and closed in a specific order? What happens if you do it "wrong"?
See "Torque sequence". In this case, not following the proper torque procedure could result in some pins being less compressed than others, completely lifted away from their respective pad, or compressed enough that they contact the wrong pad. It could also result in damage to the mechanism or motherboard if too much torque is applied to one of the bolts.

Nside

Limp Gawd
See "Torque sequence". In this case, not following the proper torque procedure could result in some pins being less compressed than others, completely lifted away from their respective pad, or compressed enough that they contact the wrong pad. It could also result in damage to the mechanism or motherboard if too much torque is applied to one of the bolts.
^^ This... Think of it like installing an aluminum wheel or your car, or just about any plate/cover on the car. Bolt sequence and torque "might" not matter, but they could cause issues that get worse over time. I wouldn't mess around with electrical contacts any more than I would mess around with the cover providing the pressure that seals between my car's oil and coolant. Introduce heat, and you could created an issue with contacts maybe separating further and maybe arcing or losing connection altogether... anyway, a bad time...

So the guy who might say "I've done it wrong dozens of times, never had an issue..." could be right, but why chance it? AMD wouldn't recommend it without having done at least some testing, and considerably more testing than "Doin' it wrong 'cause I'm a rebel!" dude performed...