Which game renderer is most advanced?

Which engine do you believe is the most technologically advanced?

  • Doom 3 engine

    Votes: 122 52.6%
  • CryEngine

    Votes: 67 28.9%
  • Unreal Engine 2

    Votes: 43 18.5%

  • Total voters
    232

oqvist

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Dec 24, 2001
Messages
8,936
I never noticed any shadows whatsoever in Half Life 2. Never missed them for a second either
 

Dan_D

Extremely [H]
Joined
Feb 9, 2002
Messages
60,654
The Doom 3 engine should be able to do large outdoor areas just fine. People wondered about Quake III's engine being able to do it, because Quake III didn't have much open space at first. Then we found out it did them fine.

Id knows how to make a game engine. While it's true that Id doesn't do alot with wide open spaces, you shouldn't think that the engine can't do it.

As far as one engine vs. another, If the game looks good and has good gameplay, I don't really care which engine was used to make it.

Farcry has a good engine, Half-Life 2 has a good engine, and Doom 3 has a good engine. Some things are done better in one engine or another. But the end result is what counts.
 

oqvist

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Dec 24, 2001
Messages
8,936
Quake 3 wasn´t fine with out doors. That has always been it´s weak spot and still is even if todays Quake 3 based games really aren´t using the Quake 3 Arena engine any more..
 

heyheyhey

Gawd
Joined
Oct 11, 2003
Messages
982
The Doom 3 engine is the most advanced engine on the market right now, it has the best pixel shading, shadows, and lighting.
 

m4rine

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 31, 2003
Messages
369
Source dosn't even come close to any of the above, I mean the lighting is hardly different then HL1s lighting, not to mention glitches and bad FPS. Doom 3 is quite far ahead of anything released now, like someone said, we havn't even touched the Doom 3 engine.

Outdoor scenes in doom3 can be done, it just requires tricky mapping as far as the lighting is concerned. You can actually have decent performance if you do it right. I would have to say that HL2 does beat doom3 in that sense, but not for long.
 

DemonDiablo

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 7, 2004
Messages
1,767
mjz_5 said:
What is wrong with you.. Unreal 3 should not be placed in the poll, the engine/game is not even out yet!!!!!!!! While your at it, why not place the HL4 engine or even IDs next engine.

H'okay Mr. Flamer there are far better ways to get your point accross not to mention you didnt even give your opinion on which engine was better.

Also yes the engine isnt "fully" out yet but they've demo'ed it and that demo is enough for me and nVidia to sell sm3.0 of off. Thank you very much now have a nice day and stfu
 

doh-nut

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Dec 7, 2000
Messages
5,409
m4rine said:
I would have to say that HL2 does beat doom3 in that sense, but not for long.

yes because we all know doom3 engine is going to evolve, but source isn't... :rolleyes:
 

mjz_5

2[H]4U
Joined
May 24, 2001
Messages
3,637
DemonDiablo said:
H'okay Mr. Flamer there are far better ways to get your point accross not to mention you didnt even give your opinion on which engine was better.

Also yes the engine isnt "fully" out yet but they've demo'ed it and that demo is enough for me and nVidia to sell sm3.0 of off. Thank you very much now have a nice day and stfu

i did state earlier why i thought doom3's engine is better:
 

Enduring_Warrior

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Sep 22, 2004
Messages
1,973
REweskerqchaos0 said:
I prefer the source engine. D3 has much better lighting effects but in my opinion thats all D3 has over source. And again this is just my opinion but i believe the reason the D3 engine at max settings runs slow on current cards is because of the lack of coding efficency.
U dont know what the heck r u talking about. If there is an example of excellent optimizing thats D3 engine comon i ran it at 800x600 in High with only a 1.5GHZ willamette and a 64bit FX5200 with 128MB of 6ns DDR. It ran above 25fps average with a little tweaking of the config files. U r definitly speaking nonsense.
 

Enduring_Warrior

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Sep 22, 2004
Messages
1,973
REweskerqchaos0 said:
Oh enlighten us great computer graphics lord. Your mentally weak underlings desperatly need you're damn near useless information that will benefit 99% of us in no way whatsoever other than being able to impress online super geekz. :rolleyes: edit* this is me misinterpreting the previous post and speaking in defense


Edit* sorry man i thought you were being antagonistic with the "anyone? anyone?" thing. My appologies.
I am sure is not by reducing polygon count like Source does and then end drawing straight lines that makes it look like a kinder draw.
 

Enduring_Warrior

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Sep 22, 2004
Messages
1,973
Metallica_Band said:
I don't go around looking for errors...they were all in plain view...I see shadows coming from under doors and thru walls and I can see models legs and arms and stuff go thru walls...there's A LOT of the exact same annoyances that's seen in HL1 that have been repeated in HL2...they did nothing to correct them...and don't even get me started on HL2's grass...I swear it reminded me of Doom 1 ages...
D3 rocks but it also has clipping problems. Lemme create an acccount on a public photo site and i'll show ya. PLZ if u know some site tell me.
 
Joined
Oct 23, 2002
Messages
3,437
I've got several screenshots that I take when I'm playing the game...I'm not looking for screwups...they're just things that I sc along the way...got some major clipping issues and major lighting issues...

D3 might have some of these probs too but they're far more noticeable in HL2...in fact they're the exact same things that HL1 had problems with...ya know what...I don't even think Source IS a new engine...I bet it's a mojorly tweaked HL1 engine with new stuff throw in...how else can you explain the exact same engine problems that occur in both HL2 and HL1???
 
Joined
Feb 21, 2002
Messages
524
Enduring_Warrior said:
I am sure is not by reducing polygon count like Source does and then end drawing straight lines that makes it look like a kinder draw.


Maybe i didn't catch it but...How does your post have anything to do with my mis-post where i went off at a guy who didnt actually say anything insulting, that i later appologized for?
 

Stiler

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
10,538
Holy crap, how is the Unreal 2 engine beating out crytek???

while ut2k4 looks decent, far cry looks better....
 

Staples

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jul 18, 2001
Messages
7,978
Metallica_Band said:
D3 might have some of these probs too but they're far more noticeable in HL2...in fact they're the exact same things that HL1 had problems with...ya know what...I don't even think Source IS a new engine...I bet it's a mojorly tweaked HL1 engine with new stuff throw in...how else can you explain the exact same engine problems that occur in both HL2 and HL1???
Well since its source got leaked and the Q1 engine is open source, I am sure one can make a comparison if they are willing to invest the time. It is possible that they ported parts of the Q1 engine to DX and this a lot of the same problems occur. I kind of doubt they did that though.
 

Sly

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Aug 17, 2004
Messages
5,747
Holy crap, how is the Unreal 2 engine beating out crytek???

Because some people assume it's a typo and it's supposed to be Unreal 3 :p

D3 rocks but it also has clipping problems. Lemme create an acccount on a public photo site and i'll show ya. PLZ if u know some site tell me.

http://imageshack.us/

how else can you explain the exact same engine problems that occur in both HL2 and HL1???

If the bunnyhop bug is still there, then we've got a problem :p
 

inotocracy

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jul 25, 2004
Messages
5,625
Enduring_Warrior said:
U dont know what the heck r u talking about. If there is an example of excellent optimizing thats D3 engine comon i ran it at 800x600 in High with only a 1.5GHZ willamette and a 64bit FX5200 with 128MB of 6ns DDR. It ran above 25fps average with a little tweaking of the config files. U r definitly speaking nonsense.

Im going to go ahead and call this a lie, for the simple fact that I had the same video card in the system below and I could barely get it to run at 25fps on 640x480 Medium Quality.
 

obs

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Nov 4, 2002
Messages
4,810
The Doom3 engine is the best engine of its type out there. Not really sure why the Unreal2 engine is listed seeing as it won't be out for years and all we got is a few high-poly shots of models and maps which were obviously pre-rendered. Anyways, HL2 may have been a better implementation of their respective engine, but the Doom3 engine is simply more advanced.
 

]|[ Mar']['in ]|[

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Sep 20, 2002
Messages
4,663
obs said:
The Doom3 engine is the best engine of its type out there. Not really sure why the Unreal2 engine is listed seeing as it won't be out for years and all we got is a few high-poly shots of models and maps which were obviously pre-rendered. Anyways, HL2 may have been a better implementation of their respective engine, but the Doom3 engine is simply more advanced.

The unreal 3 engine won't be out for years. Unreal 2 (the one that's listed) is out now, and isn't nearly as good as Crytek's engine. I don't understand what the fricken problem is.
 

inotocracy

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jul 25, 2004
Messages
5,625
obs said:
The Doom3 engine is the best engine of its type out there. Not really sure why the Unreal2 engine is listed seeing as it won't be out for years and all we got is a few high-poly shots of models and maps which were obviously pre-rendered. Anyways, HL2 may have been a better implementation of their respective engine, but the Doom3 engine is simply more advanced.

A few high poly shots that were pre rendered eh?

Guess you missed the memo: http://mirror1.gameworldnetwork.com/movies/unreal3_0002.wmv

Oh and its the Unreal 3 Engine.
 

inbedwithhomer

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 2, 2001
Messages
170
The Doom3 engine seems far less sophisticated given the performance with its lowish (relatively) polycount. Also, the Doom 3 engine, when used in a well-lit environment, is definitely not impressive. Quake 4 will hopefully be a better implementation. At this time, my vote would have to be Source, all things considered.
 

inotocracy

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jul 25, 2004
Messages
5,625
REweskerqchaos0 said:
LoL the guy in that video could seriously befefit from some speech lessons. Nice looking engine though.

Chances are he is on the development team and from my experience most developers do have speech problems (talk to fast, stuttering, too excited, etc.). Im an engineer myself and I suffer from talking to fast and being too excited when I talk hehe :).
 

ThreeDee

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Sep 5, 2001
Messages
11,332
does the D3 engine use its own physics? ...or is it farmed out like HL2 uses the Havok engine...
 

Staples

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jul 18, 2001
Messages
7,978
]|[ Mar']['in ]|[ said:
The unreal 3 engine won't be out for years. Unreal 2 (the one that's listed) is out now, and isn't nearly as good as Crytek's engine. I don't understand what the fricken problem is.
The Unreal Engine 2 is a few years old already. There have been several games already based off it. It was designed actually on D3D 7. They added some DX8 in UT2004 but the upgrade to UE3 will be big. The video of it from E3 or so looks just great. I think you may see Unreal 3 in the next 12-18 months using the UE3 engine.
 
Joined
Oct 23, 2002
Messages
3,437
Sly said:
If the bunnyhop bug is still there, then we've got a problem :p
Actually I tried bunny hoping and I seem to go faster when hoping around...Source is nothing but a reworked HL1 engine What a bunch of losers...they can't even develop their own engine from scratch nowadays...
 

Staples

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jul 18, 2001
Messages
7,978
ThreeDee said:
does the D3 engine use its own physics? ...or is it farmed out like HL2 uses the Havok engine...
ID was the only one with the balls to try their hand at their own. They are not that bad for someone who doesn't dedicate their whole job to just that one aspect. Most engine license Havok or another lesser known physics engine.
 

Enduring_Warrior

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Sep 22, 2004
Messages
1,973
inotocracy said:
Im going to go ahead and call this a lie, for the simple fact that I had the same video card in the system below and I could barely get it to run at 25fps on 640x480 Medium Quality.

Did u forget I said tweaking some config files u lame lame reader, If u want it to run faster you basically need to uncompress it before runnning it to make some room for your CPU...

pk4 are basically zip files
 

inotocracy

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jul 25, 2004
Messages
5,625
As are pk3, and all other pak files. You revived a year old thread to comment on that? I dont even think pak files are compressed, somewhat similar to tarballs, so unpacking it is just going to speed up load times.
 

Gob

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 16, 2005
Messages
500
What does Doom 3 have? Shadows.

Source? Lighting, textures/shaders, animations and people (and physics)

My (spiritual) vote goes to source.
 

the gamer

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Mar 14, 2005
Messages
1,426
First off there is not one single game that has a more advance engine then teh other, different game engine's have a better advantage then teh other.But if I had to pick out a winner it would be teh first listed below while second straight after.

Unreal Engine 3 !!!!

Yes I know its not out yet, but Unreal Tournament 2007 and Gears of War looking friggen insane!!!.

Cry Engine 2!!!!

Crysis is going to look and play insane also!!!

Others also are

Stalker's X-Ray Engine

Quake IV engine (Updated Doom 3 engine, Well I think it is)

Source ( I hate that it doesnt have RealTime Shadows like D3 and STALKER). Source can be a insane engine to use but you have to be good to pull it off.
 

Clowning

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 8, 2005
Messages
399
You nooby, you put the worst list ever. I mean come on, how can you compare Unreal engine 2 with d3 engine?
 

cr0w

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 18, 2005
Messages
225
Where's the option for "who cares which engine a game uses as long as it's good"?
 
Top