Walmart Canceling All Early SNES Classic Pre-Orders Due To 'Technical Glitch'

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
Walmart has begun sending emails to all customers who pre-ordered an SNES Classic informing them their order has been cancelled. The retailer had accidentally made the product available to order the night of July 21st for a short amount of time. Deserie Dulaney, senior director for customer care at Walmart noted that anybody who has been charged for the SNES Classic, which includes customers who paid with a gift card or PayPal, will be refunded once their order is canceled. Those who used a credit card have not been charged.

Shame for those impacted, as Walmart has not said when the pre-orders would be available again, only that they "check the product page on Walmart.com prior to [Sept. 29, the console’s release date] for any updates." And with the popularity of the SNES Classic, and the likely scarcity that comes with Nintendo releases, some may not get another chance to get one.

"We, regrettably, will have to cancel this item on your order. We know that this is incredibly disappointing to you, and we’re truly sorry for this mistake."

chenw

2[H]4U
Translation: because we didn't know people were going to order 100 SNES classics and due to very limited supply, the employees/employers decided to keep them for themselves and sell on Ebay instead.

j/k, but why is it ALWAYS blamed on a 'glitch'?

XenIneX

Gawd
Translation: because we didn't know people were going to order 100 SNES classics and due to very limited supply, the employees/employers decided to keep them for themselves and sell on Ebay instead.

j/k, but why is it ALWAYS blamed on a 'glitch'?
Because saying that it happened "because someone did something stupid" is unprofessional.

odditory

Supreme [H]ardness
Doesn't matter, nobody is getting one anyway - bots will snap them up for flippers within milliseconds just like the last time around.

Master_shake_

Fully [H]
they thought they'd have stock boy were they fucking wrong lol.

GG shitendo.

this is literally the funniest thing i have ever read.

With any luck, Nintendo has learned from its previous mistakes and has already planned for a large enough production push to meet demand. With claims that the console will only be produced through the end of 2017 and rumors already circulating about plans for an N64 Classic, Nintendo may have already moved on from planning for the SNES Classic’s release and we could be looking at another release that simply won’t meet demand

http://screenrant.com/snes-classic-already-sold-out-walmart-pre-order/

it's nintendo are you serious?

zkostik

Gawd
they thought they'd have stock boy were they fucking wrong lol.

GG shitendo.

this is literally the funniest thing i have ever read.

http://screenrant.com/snes-classic-already-sold-out-walmart-pre-order/

it's nintendo are you serious?

No shit right? So instead of having people buy this, folks will just keep running their emulators. I really don't get why they make this limited edition when clearly there's demand for the product. Fucking make enough and sell for profit! I would love having a modernized system that still would accept original carts, that would be totally awesome. Neo Geo sort sort of tried to make it right with their portable that had an SD card but not quite. If they had one with cart slot they could get around licensing/copyright to bake old games into the console. I would have bought one if they did it.

Master_shake_

Fully [H]
No shit right? So instead of having people buy this, folks will just keep running their emulators. I really don't get why they make this limited edition when clearly there's demand for the product. Fucking make enough and sell for profit! I would love having a modernized system that still would accept original carts, that would be totally awesome. Neo Geo sort sort of tried to make it right with their portable that had an SD card but not quite. If they had one with cart slot they could get around licensing/copyright to bake old games into the console. I would have bought one if they did it.

careful with that emulators talk.

people who pay eye-watering scalper prices for one of these things will have the moral high ground.

LMAO.

Krenum

Fully [H]
*Grabs Popcorn* Let the scalping wars begin!

In the meantime, I will be playing SNES9x with all the bells and whistles.

chenw

2[H]4U
I bought both the Famicom Classic and NES classic, and I STILL prefer emulators over those classics. I only bought those for collection purposes, I never had any intention to use either.

It'll be the same with SFC/SNES classics for me too.

grtitan

Telemetry is Spying on ME!
I dont feel bad for the blind fanbois that will get raped by the scalpers.

Smoeki

Gawd
I bought both the Famicom Classic and NES classic, and I STILL prefer emulators over those classics. I only bought those for collection purposes, I never had any intention to use either.

Honestly the only reason to buy it is the nostalgia or collectors item, for me I just wanted it because it brought back so memories of the rowdiness and sibling fights we had at home when I was younger in a house with a bunch of kids. I've only played with it a few hours here and there but overall I thought it was a decent little product. I was able to snag 2 NES classics and 4 extra controllers last time around, it was a pain but possible to get them, I'm not to worried about it this time around with the SNES. Nintendo obviously misjudged the demand at that price but that's Nintendo being extremely conservative, nothing new there. I'm just glad Nintendo didn't increase the price much on the SNES. I would be amazed if in another year or so we don't see it come back both the (NES and SNES), possibly after the rumored N64 next year.

blkt

Gawd
*Grabs Popcorn* Let the scalping wars begin!

In the meantime, I will be playing SNES9x with all the bells and whistles.
I agree SNES9x is very usable since 7 years ago due to inclusion of the fully reversed Sony DSP chipset (many many thanks Blargg) and through the help of developers from other projects for various fixes and things including XAudio2 support (see ipher's changelog 1.52) and the lower system requirements. But, I am sure you have a powerful enough computer to run bsnes core, now higan (or nSide if you want expanded Famicom/NES support), which is by far the most meticulous and accurate for SFC/SNES.

Yes the only thing that interests me is the controllers, if the build quality is just as good as the originals.

chenw

2[H]4U
You might actually be better off using the original SNES controllers with USB adapter than the classic controllers.

I have not found any similar adapter for the NES Classic controller, and from the images I have seen, chances are the SNES classic will use the same connection (I think they might be Wii U ports).

I don't know about the build quality of the NES classic controllers vs the real one as I don't have the original, and the Famicom controller's build quality is moot as they are shrunk down like the rest of it, making it very hard to use.

I have the NES adapter ready, but I haven't gotten around to actually finding a decent one on ebay (I am on the wrong side of the world for that controller), but the lack of turbo buttons really puts me off them.

Right now, I use DS4 with USB wireless dongle with a dash of DS4windows on the side, works very well.

Reactions: blkt
like this