Upgrade to 32GB if I'm hitting 13GB in early 2023?

SpongeBob

The Contraceptive Under the Sea
I was looking at how much memory my current system is using in Fortnite Zero Build. I figure with the recent graphics upgrade it might help give me a better idea of what some games are using. Turns out my system was using something like 12-13GB of memory that day. Obviously I still had 20% to spare but would upgrading to 32GB seem like the better option at this point or am I just spending more money for no reason? I can't see video games using less resources obviously.

Also anyone know how much performance I would be missing out on with Cl16 3200Mhz over Cl18 3600Mhz I'm mainly concerned with 1% lows with my Ryzen 5000 series.

Sidenote, does windows 11 handle memory different than windows 10 or is it the same? I tried windows 11 the other day and I just urgh... I'd move to win11 for performance benefits I guess.

dogDAbone

Weaksauce
IF you have a DDR4 system, AND you wanna little bit of future proofin, then get a 32GB kit NOW, as the prices are currently trending way lower than in recent past, and memory requirements are always increasing....but as soon as production starts slowing down, the prices will skyrocket rather quickly...

As for diff in timings, there's not much difference, and the general consensus I have seen is that 3200mhz is a sweet spot for Ryzen, although this could differ on any given rig...

As for memory management overall, there's not much diff in 10 to 11, however, 11 will be getting the direct storage API's soon, and before 10 IIRC, so if you run nvme drives, 11 MIGHT give you some performance improvements, but the games themselves have to be coded to take advantage of it also...

jobert

[H]ard|Gawd
I can't even imagine using just 16 gigs of system memory in 2023 if you actually use your computer to do more than open a few tabs and play the occasional game. I had 32 gigs all the way back in 2016 and use the crap out of it as most time when I'm playing games I'm using well over 20 gigs of total system memory.

SpongeBob

The Contraceptive Under the Sea
Well gaming, tabs open, listening to twitch music when gaming windows 11 on Sunday I was using 11.3gb. So if you were working in CAD or something. But I don't think my experience would be a whole lot better doubling it. I think I'm going to wait a while I just returned a wonky 32gb kit.

LukeTbk

2[H]4U
I do wonder if there isn't (at least one windows) 2 variable going on, to see if 16 is enough for you

memory in use
(compressed)

You will always have some part compressed has it can for something ended up faster, but wouldn't the OS decide to favorise compression to save memory when you have less and get closer to the max and would it not slow the system down even if you see a number below 15.5 meaning that in theory it could use pagefile just when it is better than ram, has it compress harder and more of what goes into ram ?

Maybe would you had 32 gig, instead of seeing 11.3 it would be at 13 with less compression going on

Mega6

2[H]4U
yeah 32 for a while, a couple games are pushing into 64 territory

Mega6

2[H]4U
How and which games are using that much ram? Are you hosting a server and playing?
When I say 32 I mean using more than 16. I multitask game/web browse and never close anything but there are a couple new games that use more than 32. You can wait until you buy one like that. My new build will be 64.