taking action for not getting rebates?

mdude85

Limp Gawd
I wasn't sure where to put this so I tried to find the most general forum. I submitted some rebates in December 2006 for a Black Friday thanksgiving deal on a portable hard drive. I haven't gotten any of the rebates (1 mfg rebate, 1 circuit city rebate). I'm certain I filled everything out and followed the directions carefully. Is there anything I can do to obtain the rebates I deserve or am I screwed? Any experience with this?

BrinNutz

Supreme [H]ardness
Unless you have copies of everything you sent in, you're screwed. There should be contact info on your copies that you can call. If they say you haven't sent it in, tell them you did, and you are waiting for the check. They will probably make you re-submit everything

This is why rebates SUCK! Companies use them to boost sales and bank on maybe a 20% submission rate, then when you actually do send in all of the info they say "we never got it" and you're SOL. Sorry to tell you, but even if you have copies of everything it's not sufficient to prove you ever sent it and you really have no recourse. You're at the mercy of the company as to whether they decide to honor it or not.

Small Claims Court

That is an option only if you sent the rebate in with POD (proof of delivery) service, i.e. registered or certified mail, UPS/FedEx, etc. If it was sent by standard first class mail, it is impossible to prove you ever sent it in the first place.