Some thoughts on these models

wfalcon

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm in search of a new monitor for my rig at home and could use some suggestions. I've done a bit of research, so I know the basics: differences between TN and IPS, response time, etc. However, there are definitely things I haven't encountered yet, and figured the [H] is the best place to turn.

Long story short, I need a 24" or larger screen, but the boss-lady says to keep it under $300. I 'm coming off of an old 24" 1920x1200 dinosaur that was used primarily for gaming (Battlefield 3, etc.). I have to pick it up either at Newegg/Amazon or something local (ala Frys/WorstBuy). Also, would like (DVI and HDMI) or 2 HDMI ports as I would also like to plug an Xbox into it as well. Here's a few models I was considering and would appreciate thoughts:

BenQ GW2750HM - Not a bad price, but would have preferred a better res, as I'm concerned the 1920x1080 on a 27" might look a bit blocky the 2-3 feet in front of me on the desk.

Samsung 24C750P - New and a bit unknown, but available locally. I think its MVA, but not sure how that compares to IPS.

Asus VS247H-P - Lots of folks seem to love them despite the cheap stand reported

Something else to consider?

wfalcon

[H]ard|Gawd
I guess I should also add: Not concerned about any speakers/USB ports. My case is easily accessible and have dedicated speakers.

Falkentyne

[H]ard|Gawd
You know it's a holiday weekend and you didn't give anyone the chance to reply, right? It's not like this forum is overflowing with traffic like OCN...need patience....

Namelessme

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm not that impressed by any of the monitors you listed, to be honest.

The 2450/2750 got very mixed reviews here, and BenQ has rather lousy customer service (in the US, anyway). The 2760 may be better, and will be PWM-free, but probably won't be released in N. America. The Samsung 24C750P could be decent, and check out some of the comments in this forum. I think one main issue may be the non-height adjustable stand for some ... it may sit too high for many. If you get it, try Best Buy or a place with easy returns. The Asus VS247H-P is a TN, which may be a downgrade for you. Unless it happens to be a LightBoost model, in which case you are trading away color accuracy/angles for motion.

Other things to consider:

One of the 27" 1080p IPS models. The pixels may be a bit blockier that you'd like, but you can't really get 1440p at your price range unless you go with a Korean model. And even then, it'll probably be closer to $400.

I've been recommending the NEC EA244WMi to people who want a 24" IPS 16:10, as there isn't a whole lot left in IPS at that size with a light coating. But it'll be closer to $370, and apparently is a pain to find in stock anywhere.

You could consider one of the 23" IPS models, like the Eizo 2333/2336 or that 23" semiglossy IPS Asus, but then it may feel like too big a downgrade to you as to size. The Eizos would be a bit over your pricerange too.

So afraid I don't have a great recommendation for you. You could try both a 27" 1080p IPS, and VA flavors, if you get them from places like Best Buy... and just return whichever you don't like. If you get a model with hdmi only, keep in mind you may need to use the graphics hack with the drivers to get proper blacks.