So who actually enjoyed Doom3?

HydroSqueegee

2[H]4U
Joined
Nov 9, 2001
Messages
3,609
I admit its very pretty, and playable in medium detail at 1024x768 on my 9700np, but alas, its just the same old shit rehashed again and again.

Nothing ground breaking gameplay wise and to be honest, i feel like im playing half life as far as the plot goes. I really dont like switching between my flashlight and weapon every time i see an enemy. It does have some creepy moments and i actually jumped a couple of times in my chair, which is nice.

ID put together a good game, but its not for me. Ive played this game in multiple forms for almost a decade and its getting tiring.
 

HRslammR

2[H]4U
Joined
Jun 20, 2003
Messages
3,438
isn't there a poll on this already? couldn't you just express your opinion there?
 

Torn

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 21, 2004
Messages
433
Its a retelling of Doom1 with more plot and more scares instead of hordes of demons. I love it. Oh, and Half Life stole the plot from Doom1, so id just took it back for this one. NYAH!
 

HydroSqueegee

2[H]4U
Joined
Nov 9, 2001
Messages
3,609
Torn said:
Its a retelling of Doom1 with more plot and more scares instead of hordes of demons. I love it. Oh, and Half Life stole the plot from Doom1, so id just took it back for this one. NYAH!

never paid attention to the plot in Doom1, just ran around killing things
 

Torn

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 21, 2004
Messages
433
Yeah, you had to read the instruction book to actually GET any plot, so it was very easy to miss. Oh, and the novelization of Doom1&2 were perty good, except for the whole "its actually ALIENS" crap. 3&4 just SUCKED.
 

AgentxofxChaos

Agent of [H] Chaos
Joined
Dec 16, 2002
Messages
3,978
I'm not close to completing it yet, but I actually love it. Started it on veteran difficulty. Definitely glad I bought the game. I was a fan of the Doom series, and a fan of the quake series (I'm actually playing Quake 1 again after taking a break for about, well however many years it was since it came out) and this is just kind of a return to that fun type of gaming. My system can't really run it that well (800X600 med) but i still think it looks good and plays well, and I'll definitely be playing it when I get a new system again too. It is a great game in my opinion. Don't know why people complain so much. I'm sure we will see an equal amount of complaining for just about every major game released though.
 

andres9606t

Weaksauce
Joined
Oct 1, 2002
Messages
110
I'm loving it. Sure it's been done before, but I haven't had this much fun playing any game in a long time. But maybe I'm just weird. :cool:
 

C4rniV0r

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Nov 5, 2001
Messages
1,488
It really needs to be renamed 3DDoomMark2004 because the gameplay was maybe fun in 1998 but not now.
 

AgentxofxChaos

Agent of [H] Chaos
Joined
Dec 16, 2002
Messages
3,978
C4rniV0r said:
It really needs to be renamed 3DDoomMark2004 because the gameplay was maybe fun in 1998 but not now.
Well gee if that is that case then I haven't played a "fun" game in a bout 10 years, damn I have been fooled all these years.
 

doh-nut

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Dec 7, 2000
Messages
5,409
itd be interesting to see how many people who didn't like doom3 had good sound systems and had the volume up high or had good enough video cards to play smoothly at good detail.

i mean its like a movie in the theatre, for this kind experience, you really need clear sound and high volume to really experience it how it should be and a good picture. i can say the game was MUCH more enjoyable when i cranked up my sennheisers or klipsch speakers, as opposed to just having my speakers on low volume. the conditions gotta be right or just shooting demons wont cut it as a whole gameplay experience.
 

AgentxofxChaos

Agent of [H] Chaos
Joined
Dec 16, 2002
Messages
3,978
doh-nut said:
itd be interesting to see how many people who didn't like doom3 had good sound systems and had the volume up high or had good enough video cards to play smoothly at good detail.

i mean its like a movie in the theatre, for this kind experience, you really need clear sound and high volume to really experience it how it should be and a good picture. i can say the game was MUCH more enjoyable when i cranked up my sennheisers or klipsch speakers, as opposed to just having my speakers on low volume. the conditions gotta be right or just shooting demons wont cut it as a whole gameplay experience.
Yeah it really gets awesome once you crank the sound way up, they did an awesome job with the sound, as well as everything else for that matter.
 

Unit-0

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 6, 2003
Messages
408
I'm too scared to play D3 for long periods of time. =P

It would be more enjoyable if I won't get a heartattack, don't take that as me wanting to reduce the terror factor, keep that as-is.

Also, all FPS games seems to make me nauscious for some reason.
 

Xtasy0

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Aug 25, 2002
Messages
1,782
doh-nut said:
itd be interesting to see how many people who didn't like doom3 had good sound systems and had the volume up high or had good enough video cards to play smoothly at good detail.

i mean its like a movie in the theatre, for this kind experience, you really need clear sound and high volume to really experience it how it should be and a good picture. i can say the game was MUCH more enjoyable when i cranked up my sennheisers or klipsch speakers, as opposed to just having my speakers on low volume. the conditions gotta be right or just shooting demons wont cut it as a whole gameplay experience.

it wasn't the sound or the performance that caused people not to enjoy it, it was the gameplay. it got very boring/repetitive/tedious, yes i agree the sound was fucking awesome. the sound was one of the reasons i even bothered finishing the game, yes the graphics are great, also another reason i kept playing. the only thing that was annoying me and making it a shitty experience was the gameplay, no amount of sound design or spiffy graphics could have made me enjoy the gameplay. in addition, the gameplay Seemed fucking awesome for about the first two hours, but after that it was just like...wtf? i wanted to quit playing before i was even half way done, and the ending, what a wretched ending. the ending makes baby jesus cry.
 

doh-nut

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Dec 7, 2000
Messages
5,409
well yea, sound and graphics are present when im playing the game, so it affects the actual gameplay imo.

but like ive asked many times with no answer, what did people want doom3 to be like? what things would people have wanted to be in doom3 that could have made it better in their opinion? besides flushing toilets and soda cans popping out of soda machines...
 

ZenOps

2[H]4U
Joined
Jun 11, 2000
Messages
2,914
Doom 3 is not my genre. I don't really like horror movies, I like Sci-fi.

I thought Doom 1 was a pinnacle, its very hard to live up to that if you make a sequel. Doom3 is to Doom as Star wars episode 1 is to the original trilogy, tons more special effects, but a flat storyline.

Heck, I still play Nethack (Ascii based game) now and then.
 

Xtasy0

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Aug 25, 2002
Messages
1,782
doh-nut said:
well yea, sound and graphics are present when im playing the game, so it affects the actual gameplay imo.

but like ive asked many times with no answer, what did people want doom3 to be like? what things would people have wanted to be in doom3 that could have made it better in their opinion? besides flushing toilets and soda cans popping out of soda machines...

why ask that question? and what kind of answer do you really expect to get? the question is pointless because id made the game they wanted to make, and alot of people simply don't enjoy it, it's as simple as that.

asking what people want serves no purpose, gamers really have no idea what they want, or what is feasible, or what makes a game fun, they basically want a recreation of real life in a game (graphics wise, physics wise, etc, obviously not the mundane every day tasks that most people do in life), but that doesn't make a game fun, game developers are supposed to make a game that they want to make and also make it fun for gamers, they shouldn't need to ask gamers what features they want.

take a look at the half-life 2 forums for proof that gamers don't really know what they want or what makes a fun game, or even threads on this forum "omg teh game would r0x if i culd flush poop down the toilet LAWLZ OMGG!!".
 

neomage2021

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 18, 2002
Messages
226
Ive been playing doom 3 for about 6 hours now (just finally got it today) and I must say I love this game. It is exactly what i expected from it a retelling of doom. I look forward to having even more fun creating mods for the game.
 

doh-nut

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Dec 7, 2000
Messages
5,409
Xtasy0 said:
why ask that question? and what kind of answer do you really expect to get? the question is pointless because id made the game they wanted to make, and alot of people simply don't enjoy it, it's as simple as that.

asking what people want serves no purpose, gamers really have no idea what they want, or what is feasible, or what makes a game fun, they basically want a recreation of real life in a game (graphics wise, physics wise, etc, obviously not the mundane every day tasks that most people do in life), but that doesn't make a game fun, game developers are supposed to make a game that they want to make and also make it fun for gamers, they shouldn't need to ask gamers what features they want.

take a look at the half-life 2 forums for proof that gamers don't really know what they want or what makes a fun game, or even threads on this forum "omg teh game would r0x if i culd flush poop down the toilet LAWLZ OMGG!!".

you miss the point, the criticism of the game is pointless and retarded when they can't come up with a better idea for gameplay, its just pointless whining. a lot of people seem to know what they dont want, but don't know what they want. its pathetic really.
 

Xtasy0

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Aug 25, 2002
Messages
1,782
doh-nut said:
you miss the point, the criticism of the game is pointless and retarded when they can't come up with a better idea for gameplay, its just pointless whining. a lot of people seem to know what they dont want, but don't know what they want. its pathetic really.

luckily it's not the gamers that created the game so they don't need to know what they want in a good game. id made the game, alot of people like the game, alot of people don't like the game, that's it.

why are you and a few other people who enjoy the game, on such a crusade to find anyone who doesn't like the game and burn them at the stake? it almost seems like you're hardcore id !!!!!!'s and must strike down anyone who doesn't agree that id can do no wrong...

"you can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all the time."
 
Joined
Jul 17, 2004
Messages
16
I remeber watching an interview a while ago with one of the id guys (todd was it?), and he basically said that the original doom meant a lot of different things to a lot of different people. Its impossible to make Doom 3 the perfect sequel for everybody. He stated clearly that this time around the team was focused a very specific vision for Doom 3, and I believe that is what they achieved with the finished product. If you did not enjoy id software's version of Doom 3, hopefully mods will be released that will bring to Doom 3 the aspects of the original Doom that you particularly enjoyed.
 

enyx

n00b
Joined
Jul 25, 2004
Messages
19
Doom was revolutionary. Half-life was evolutionary.
Doom 3 is... fucking excellent :)

I'm going into year 3 of the animation course I'm taking here in Ontario, Canada... the technical aspects of this game not only amaze me but easily inspire me in a million ways.

The feeling I have when I play it has never been matched... the way the story unfolds I find is just... wow... the story does not take a backseat and greatly compliemts the gameplay.

And speaking of the gameplay, yes, it is by in large run, shoot, kill. But the way your guns work, the way the environments and situations play a role... the demons and their relentless march, unceasingly trying to hunt you down... makes for a very vivid, fun, frightening and immersive game experience. The best of it's kind I've ever played.

The gripes I have with this game are minimal. In the end, I walked away shellshocked and unhappy it ever ended. This game captured the gamer and artist in me like no other.

A collegue from school came by one day and played the game for about 20 minutes... after his jaw snapped back into place, he stood to tell me, "They cheaped out on cheapness".

I love it.
 

HydroSqueegee

2[H]4U
Joined
Nov 9, 2001
Messages
3,609
IsAnybodyHome said:
I remeber watching an interview a while ago with one of the id guys (todd was it?), and he basically said that the original doom meant a lot of different things to a lot of different people. Its impossible to make Doom 3 the perfect sequel for everybody. He stated clearly that this time around the team was focused a very specific vision for Doom 3, and I believe that is what they achieved with the finished product. If you did not enjoy id software's version of Doom 3, hopefully mods will be released that will bring to Doom 3 the aspects of the original Doom that you particularly enjoyed.

Doom 3 is a fantastic cinematic game. But that’s all it is. you play the hero fighting the daemon horde. All events scripted, solid plotline, little to no flexibility. You kill tons of bad guys, fight a boss, next level fight harder bad guys, then a harder boss ad nauseum. Its a beautifully done remake of an old classic that started it all. Game play was never ment to change much from the point and shoot FPS cliché, and that’s what saddens me.
 

WickedAngel

2[H]4U
Joined
Sep 4, 2003
Messages
2,644
what things would people have wanted to be in doom3 that could have made it better in their opinion? besides flushing toilets and soda cans popping out of soda machines...

Gameplay options? Varied paths? Side missions? Environmental interactivity? Vehicles? More weapons? More variety in environments? More intelligent AI?

Those are just a few that I thought of offhand. I'm sure there are more that didn't occur to me in the ten seconds that those sprang to mind.
 

matt fury

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Oct 12, 2001
Messages
4,520
WickedAngel said:
Gameplay options? Varied paths? Side missions? Environmental interactivity? Vehicles? More weapons? More variety in environments? More intelligent AI?

That's like bitching that a soccer game doesn't have enough motorcycle ramps in it. I'm not saying Doom 3 is a perfect game, but they did what they set out to do the best it could be done. They didn't want to make FarCry, or Warcraft 3, or Deus-Ex. They wanted to make Doom with incredible graphics, and they did.
 

Hyper_Psycho

2[H]4U
Joined
Mar 26, 2002
Messages
2,944
how the hell do you beat the last boss
i got my ass handed to me like 3 times already
anyone ?
 

kronchev

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Feb 23, 2001
Messages
12,051
matt fury said:
That's like bitching that a soccer game doesn't have enough motorcycle ramps in it. I'm not saying Doom 3 is a perfect game, but they did what they set out to do the best it could be done. They didn't want to make FarCry, or Warcraft 3, or Deus-Ex. They wanted to make Doom with incredible graphics, and they did.


close the thread, matt fury is right and everyone else is wrong
 

WickedAngel

2[H]4U
Joined
Sep 4, 2003
Messages
2,644
No kidding Kronchev...how stupid can one person be?

That's like bitching that a soccer game doesn't have enough motorcycle ramps in it.

Sorry, but no.

You might like to pretend that "features" and "games" have nothing in common, but in reality, they do. Being a graphics whore doesn't change the fact that Doom III is a Volvo chassis/engine with a Ferrari frame.
 

doh-nut

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Dec 7, 2000
Messages
5,409
Xtasy0 said:
luckily it's not the gamers that created the game so they don't need to know what they want in a good game. id made the game, alot of people like the game, alot of people don't like the game, that's it.

why are you and a few other people who enjoy the game, on such a crusade to find anyone who doesn't like the game and burn them at the stake? it almost seems like you're hardcore id !!!!!!'s and must strike down anyone who doesn't agree that id can do no wrong...

"you can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all the time."

crusade? hey i asked a simple question because i was curious. if you can't answer the question, a simple no will do. jeezus, can someone say pms?
 

enyx

n00b
Joined
Jul 25, 2004
Messages
19
Hyper_Psycho said:
how the hell do you beat the last boss
i got my ass handed to me like 3 times already
anyone ?

For those who haven't beaten the game, maybe you shouldn't read this :)

---
If you're refering to the Cyberdemon, use the soul cube. I don't think the regular, puny weapons of human creation do squat.
 

kronchev

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Feb 23, 2001
Messages
12,051
WickedAngel said:
No kidding Kronchev...how stupid can one person be?

Uh, I was being serious. Hes right you know.

Sorry, but no.

You might like to pretend that "features" and "games" have nothing in common, but in reality, they do. Being a graphics whore doesn't change the fact that Doom III is a Volvo chassis/engine with a Ferrari frame.

That makes sense but isnt applicable here at all. The physics engine is on-par with anything else (its a lot like farcry I notice), the gameplay is ones own opinion however. I dont care if you dont like it frankly, I dont care that there are a number of people here who dont like it, they can go back to sunny tropic hawaii shirt game and stfu and i'd be a lot happier. dont get me wrong i love farcry, but i enjoy it and play it in a different mindset than doom3. plus I know how to write mods for doom3 so that right there is me getting more than my money's worth. I am glad I bought doom3 and I am glad I am able to contribute to the modding community once again, I was missing the days of quake.
 

Silverghost

2[H]4U
Joined
Dec 22, 2002
Messages
2,627
Its not revolutionary story wise.

Its just DOOM, and they did a damn fine job of bringing us that.
 

doh-nut

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Dec 7, 2000
Messages
5,409
WickedAngel said:
Gameplay options? Varied paths? Side missions? Environmental interactivity? Vehicles? More weapons? More variety in environments? More intelligent AI?

Those are just a few that I thought of offhand. I'm sure there are more that didn't occur to me in the ten seconds that those sprang to mind.

ok first, before you read, im not trying to defend doom3 like im some insane !!!!!!, im merely challenging whether these things you listed would make the game better based on the elements of the game universe. i know doom3s not perfect. so lets keep this a civil discussion about game elements in a gaming forum.. so:

environments: could you elaborate on variety in environments? did you want to see a 7-11 on mars surface or? what was present at the time on mars was UAC, the mars surface, and an underground cave built by that ancient race. at that point in time, they hadn't built anything else, so how could there be any other environments?

vehicles: were you expecting to get inside little mini-humvees that ride around the tight corridors in the station? if not, driving vehicles on mars surface would be boring, why you ask? because the wind is blowing so much you would hardly be able to see anything except red smoke, it would be unflattering to the engine and BORING, not to mention even if there was something to interact with, you probably wouldn't be able to see them.

weapons: can't really argue here. some people are only content with 9 weapons, some are only content with 40+(ravenshield). developers can never win here.

more intelligent AI: one thing many people overlook is that even though games are on the path to make better AI, if a game has a rat hes going to go for the cheese. what if developers got awesome AI and decided to make the rat be able to make oil paintings and write poetry? it would be impressive yes, but not realistic. people say they want realism, but by looking at a pinky demon, do you think hes going to retreat and draw up a blueprint of what hes going to do? what would you have him do? retreat to a corner so he could inevitably die later with ease? thats why im asking to be specific, i dont see how the AI could be improved. if we were fighting real trained soldiers, itd be different, but these are zombified, covered with blood, dragging their feet former soldiers. their brain is not working as it was.

varied paths and side missions: and these are the only things i really would have liked to see, but of course if we got these, we'd probably be looking at a 2005 release.
 

andres9606t

Weaksauce
Joined
Oct 1, 2002
Messages
110
I play games because they're FUN. A great physics engine that's used in new and interesting ways, amazing interactivity, and a lot of choices can help make a game fun, but they're not required. Doom 3 is, regardless of the fact I can only break SOME windows, the grenades are too bouncy, etc, one of the most fun games I've played in a long time. Sure its not innovative gameplaywise, but it's FUN. When I'm playing, I'm not thinking about "look at how boring that shelf is, I can't even do anything with it", I'm thinking "I'm kicking some demon ass!" and it's great. Obviously others disagree, but don't knock people for enjoying a great game purely because they find it to be a hell of a lot of fun . :D
 
Top