Reinstall Question - Download Services

DeaconFrost

[H]F Junkie
I'm planning a reinstall of my OS for various reasons, including getting a new primary SSD. I currently have Steam, UPlay, and Origin installed, with games downloaded from each service.

My setup currently uses one SSD for the OS and applications, with the games stored on a second SSD in folders for each service. So, the paths are D:\Steam, D:\Origin, etc.

I was planning to unhook this Games drive until after I have the new SSD and Windows 10 installed. How do I go about re-adding once the games drive is reconnected? I know, obviously, I need to reinstall the applications for each service, but is it as simple as pointing each one to the folders where the games are currently installed, and they will be detected again? Or, do I have to use the trick of starting each download, then pausing the download to copy back the files one game at a time?

Sprayingmango

[H]ard|Gawd
All 3 services should find your games just fine. You may have to point the game service to them but I've done this before with steam and Uplay without a hitch.

DeaconFrost

[H]F Junkie
Great to hear. I was hoping it would be that easy. Thanks!

Last edited:

Motley

2[H]4U
Hmm, why not just use Windows backup. Backup your C drive, and all user data. You just backup to to a single file. Then restore from the backup after you re-install. It will restore all you game saves, game settings, applications installed.

Don't even need to re-install your game apps.

zQmKDIzw9U-2yvC20lx00J2ZLLkkKu2moS-xgGJTgx4K0MPRqlm4B2PY8xL-xm5SZ4ukyT_MAaSVWiVqZRgpt0_o5tzBRnnphGPhEHythmcd1z0mChvGN0r70hdJmEBs9Bw93kkL-oKUyZ7w-1hKLOc2qH0PTG2Zs2A9UP2KolfF_QI-MVCNMtc6F8I78BEn0ZLL7WFjxOwOS6pg6Lzn-o-NSn2MFtZXvMOJBXxnPBcllvk48NCIMTJHgCKT_OftbMJ8nz5Bex_MY1K2b-LFo_Nzt0gGpCA3J0vGwonvdhOYvjLtdCoWXKBsip9Ln9f05jkjmSXIoGNP5KC4XczQJXVbyqdFTO2cAc4x7I2AZE1Y8z5-TKXhQcpPdQDjhlzTGF3UwYchBY6X8oz2h3kpzICL9chKOqgauOIMZ63vWyE8mUcTpDZQSnJg1525b7iu7Sq70MICr5WLEr7Edc3sb8Wf7bVMduqoAkE7XIL1vYfZK5jVQtOVpInciau8eDdzfHbxuGyhCsaMZkfk2FfX_9cR5Y0ExPppufsfvzdXrY7J2zmjd--oCvn7qQGvQ6gKkktVQ0bmcvJeHOLo7SUgvE-VEDP9x-k9MGSqcmbe40qH7UdInaFA=w1133-h647-no

DeaconFrost

[H]F Junkie
I feel I'm due for a clean install. I toyed around with just cloning the drive, but I've never cloned a SATA to mSATA before. I guess this is as good of a time as any to try it out.

Ragenrok

Supreme [H]ardness
I feel I'm due for a clean install. I toyed around with just cloning the drive, but I've never cloned a SATA to mSATA before. I guess this is as good of a time as any to try it out.
ya, i tend to do a fresh wipe and reinstall about once a year so I know what you mean. But ive also cloned my wifes office computer when I went from a slow ass WD green to a SSD and it actually went perfect. Only thing I had to do was manually enable trim for the SSD but beyond that there was 0 issues afterwords.