Recommend me a freeware DVD player

BoWser

Limp Gawd
I've heard about this maximus dvd, but it appears that their website is down or something. Is there any other good freeware dvd players out there?

mosin

[H]ardForum Junkie
Maximus was the best, but it was no blossoming flower. :D

Anyway, you may be able to find an opensource codec that allows you to play DVDs in WMP. I've seen it, but I don't know where.

M11

Does Not Follow Instructions.
Videolan....it'll play anything
http://videolan.org/vlc/

VLC (initially VideoLAN Client) is a highly portable multimedia player for various audio and video formats (MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, mp3, ogg, ...) as well as DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols. It can also be used as a server to stream in unicast or multicast in IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth network.

mosin

[H]ardForum Junkie
MemoryInAGarden said:
I'm pretty sure you can get a DVD decoder pak for Windows Media for free
You can. That's what I was talking about before, but I don't remember where I saw it. Do you have a link?

Nazo

2[H]4U
Why do people love VideoLan so much? It is NOT meant to be a real video player, it's meant for streaming video, hence the name... Great for little things, but, if you want to truly watch a movie or other video in an immersive sort of way, you need a good player that does things like full screen properly. Also, I seriously doubt VideoLan would handle DVDs very well since there are the menus and all. More than anything else they just meant it can be streamed to a REAL player I believe.

Personally, I'd recommend Media Player Classic as well if you can get it to work. Try www.doom9.net for a good start towards finding things like the needed codecs.

I'm lazy, I just use the WinDVD that came with my soundcard or DVD+/-RW drive. It supports the 96KHz/24-bit decoding that my soundcard boasts so much about.

KingPariah777

[H]ard|Gawd
Media Player Classic.

Just download it, it supports surround sound and plays DVDs. What else are you looking for?

Simple interface, no ads, and it works.

djnes

Fully [H]
You have an ATI card, which means if you still have the original CD, you can download the newest ATI DVD player for free. It's not a bad product for being free.

FanZ

[H]ard|Gawd
yah, i agree with the Media Player Classic suggestion: its simple, clear, and best of all: it works