PUBG Devs Admit Performance Sucks

Mchart

Supreme [H]ardness
So,

I played PUBG a bunch last summer.

My first take was " holy shit what an obnoxious community". Once I figured out how to disable voice comms, things got much much better.

My second take was that the game was utter garbage due to people taking advantage of 3rd person mode to hide and look at the same time. I was told there was a forced first person mode coming though, so I stuck it out and and it did eventually come along and greatly improve things.

Draw distance was a problem back then, and from comments here I understand it has gotten worse. I just want a game that draws everything out to infinity, damn the performance impacts. Too many of these games decide they care about people with low end systems, when really they just shouldn't. Environment consistency from player screen to player screen is WAY more important than performance.

The game has enough players, they can afford to not think about the people with less than a 1070.

I never found the net code to be bad, but maybe that's because I have excellent internet. Always very low ping.

When they introduced clothes and skins like some goddamned Barbie doll game, I thought that would kill it, but it didn't. The apparel never ruined the feel to me, like in so many other games. (Like,yo, check out my pink camo assault rifle) I fält like they did ski s pretty OK in this game.

In the end, I stopped playing in late September or early October some time because I got bored with it. Once I had 5-6 chicken dinners under my belt, I found these was very little replay value. In part this couldbt be because there was only one map. I hear that has since changed, so maybe it is better?

Either way, all of my comments are based on the state of the game as it was in late September / Early October 2017. Thing could have changed since.

Nothing has changed. Instead of improving the game they just keep adding more “stuff”

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
To come back to this thread..

I was bored and just signed in to PUBG for the first time since late summer of 2017.

I barely recognized the game. It used to be pretty badass, and brought my Pascal Titan to its knees at 4k.

Now it just looks like a mobile game, even on the desktop. In order to appeal to the lowest common denominator they dumbed down the experience so much as to make it completely unappealing.

This probably happened a really long time ago, but I just noticed it now.

I was bored and just signed in to PUBG for the first time since late summer of 2017.

I barely recognized the game. It used to be pretty badass, and brought my Pascal Titan to its knees at 4k.

Now it just looks like a mobile game, even on the desktop. In order to appeal to the lowest common denominator they dumbed down the experience so much as to make it completely unappealing.

They turned it into barbie fashion designer. In fact that's what was annoying so many of us that played years ago. So much so that they had a "lets fix our own game" campaign. It was pathetic, never buying a Bluehole game again.

Aurelius

2[H]4U

I appreciate this to a degree in the mobile version of the game, where you need a UI and game mechanics well-suited to the smaller screen. You can't exactly strive for realism (not that a battle royale premise is realistic in the first place) in a game where you're tapping on a small screen, so aim to make it fun.

I suspect that's part of why Fortnite does so well... it was always silly and doesn't pretend to be more.

Smashed Ixnay

Supreme [H]ardness
When I saw this thread I was really shocked, because the game has sucked for years. I was wondering why there would be a new thread about this when it has been known it sucks, LOL! I been playing since 2017, and still am playing. Lots of cheaters, population is pretty damn dead. I remember 2 years ago even the population was maybe 400k+ people on around the time I play with friend at night (8pm). Now at that same time there is maybe 50k people on. Even right now at 11:17pm there is only 77k people on. I still have 2-3 others I play with, so I'm still fine playing it, but I expect it to die in the next 2 years max. It's been holding steady at 50k people at 8pm, but I don't see the loyal fan base sticking around that much longer. They screw everything up and don't fix it for a few weeks, if we're lucky. Right now with the new season 14 update the lobby is broken. If you report someone then you get a pop up notification, go hit "nice" to awknoledge you've been notified about it, but you can't get off it and do anything. You have to hit ESC, refresh lobby, and that'll make it go away. To hit a menu in the lobby it has a delay before it opens something up. It's been like that for almost 2 weeks and no fix. I don't know why I still play this game, but I do. I just haven't found another game like it to take me off this game.

DarkStar02

2[H]4U
When I saw this thread I was really shocked, because the game has sucked for years. I was wondering why there would be a new thread about this when it has been known it sucks, LOL! I been playing since 2017, and still am playing. Lots of cheaters, population is pretty damn dead. I remember 2 years ago even the population was maybe 400k+ people on around the time I play with friend at night (8pm). Now at that same time there is maybe 50k people on. Even right now at 11:17pm there is only 77k people on. I still have 2-3 others I play with, so I'm still fine playing it, but I expect it to die in the next 2 years max. It's been holding steady at 50k people at 8pm, but I don't see the loyal fan base sticking around that much longer. They screw everything up and don't fix it for a few weeks, if we're lucky. Right now with the new season 14 update the lobby is broken. If you report someone then you get a pop up notification, go hit "nice" to awknoledge you've been notified about it, but you can't get off it and do anything. You have to hit ESC, refresh lobby, and that'll make it go away. To hit a menu in the lobby it has a delay before it opens something up. It's been like that for almost 2 weeks and no fix. I don't know why I still play this game, but I do. I just haven't found another game like it to take me off this game.
Escape From Tarkov. I haven't played PUBG since.

Aireoth

Supreme [H]ardness
Escape From Tarkov. I haven't played PUBG since.
Ehhh, escape has a host of its own problems, and doesn't hit the BR itch like PUBG used to.

To much time spent in menus with tarkov. Lose a match, spend 5-10min in menus buying and re-equiping gear, way to much time spend looting and sneaking for the usually brief firefights then either you won, or its back to the menu for you.

My brother is huge into Tarkov, I play with him once and a while but the gameplay loop pacing is just terrible.

Verge

Supreme [H]ardness
hmmm .. I've never played this game
Never played a second of it, but watch some people stream it. Downloaded on my ps4pro and played for 20 seconds. Promptly deleted. There were parts where i was getting maybe 20fps. Why even release it on playstation at that state?

sfsuphysics

[H]F Junkie
Never played it either, and yeah this is a 3+ year old thread but isn't this a game they always do frame rates for and it always gets hundreds of frames per second? Like way more frames than most monitors can refresh.

Aireoth

Supreme [H]ardness
Idk, haven't played in years, warzone is basically the same thing in COD engine. When I did play pubg had terrible fps issues and plenty of bugs.

ThreeDee

[H]F Junkie
Tarkov is also a performance and cheater ridden hell hole. Play Hunt Showdown
Hunt:Showdown is the only game I really play anymore .. I'll play Destiny 2 with my 12 year old daughter once in awhile though.

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
I've been crushing through my SP game backlog but I still play Hunt.

This is what I have been doing for years now. I haven't even bothered with multiplayer games in a long time.

It's completely unemployable these days. Either you join some ranked hyper-competitive game, which removes the fun from it, or in non-ranked games people are just fooling around and not going after game objectives, which also ruins the fun.

I used to always live in the "semi-serious public server" realm during most of my time of online gaming. We played the games objectives trying to beat the other team, but it was also fun among friends. You became a regular on a public server, got to know the other regulars, etc.

Several things things have contributed to having a negative impact on online games .

1.) Automatic matchmaking and official servers.

Say what you want, but things were simply much better back in the days when you were FORCED to play on a community server. People had an incentive to behave or they'd get banned from their favorite server. Even in games where community servers are still an option, they are mostly relegated to sitting empty because people aren't forced to use them, and going to anonymous official servers with people from their friends list people lose most of their incentive to be decent online. It's much easier to be a dick to anonymous people on a public server than it is on people you somewhat know on a community server. The whole sense of community is gone, and I hate it.

2.) Streaming

Streamers have had a hugely negative impact on online gaming. Instead of just playing the game objectives and having fun, kids are in there desperate to gain a following to kickstart their "streaming career" and just do stupid shit to get attention, no matter what it takes. It has had a profoundly negative impact on online games. Even if they do take game objectives seriously in their stream, it's a completely different feel to play with a bunch of people who are just there to relax and have a good time, compared to playing with someone who is dead serious and desperately trying to make a pipe-dream streaming nonsense career come true. It just zaps the fun out of the room in a second or less.

3.) The types of games.

Free to play, Battle Royale, loot box and pay to win the everything! Games that are actually fun to play are few and far between these days. Last online game I truly enjoyed was Red Orchestra 2. It came out over a decade ago at this point. I popped in to CSGO for the first time in years a while back. I used to run two of the largest Counter-Strike servers on the East coast back in 2000-2005 or so throughout the original CS mod and CS:Source days, and played countless hours of it. I signed in to CSGO and fount it utterly intolerable. It's all about loot boxes and skins, people begging each other to trade over voice comms, etc. There's also a bunch of dumb new game modes that don't make sense at all.

4.) Uncontrolled hacking

It's rampant, and it completely destroys the fun in playing.

5.) I'm old.

Then there's also the fact that I'm getting older, have competing priorities for my time, and often can't dedicate time to multiplayer games. I need things I can jump in and jump out of quickly, and can save my progress. This last one isn't the game, the community or anyone's fault really. It's just how my life has changed as I've gotten older.

Gaming may be bigger than ever, but honestly, it was much better back when it was small and only done by us geeks. I don't think I'll ever be able to enjoy games as much again as I did 20 years ago, and that makes me a bit sad.

Reactions: xx0xx
like this
I kinda get what you are saying but this was sort of where things had to end up. I still play Quake World and have a blast. I play Hunt off and on. But mostly if I'm going online it's a fighting game or a coop game. I'm fine with single player games as well.

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
I don't know .. I'm 52 and Hunt checks all the boxes for me

I want to like Hunt, but I have a real difficult time getting into the Western theme as well as the Monster thing.

I'd prefer something more 20th century history or modern tactical.

I want to like Hunt, but I have a real difficult time getting into the Western theme as well as the Monster thing.

IMHO that's part of it's charm. There's way to many TRY HARD 5.11 PANTS HIGH SPEED LOW DRAG MEAL TEAM SIX TACTICOOL OPERATOR stuff out now and honestly, that shit just screams pathetic in some ways now. Way too many games go that route and that type of thing has become an IRL laughing meme.

Hunt does something different and unique and it's all the better for it. Also it's not Western, it's in the swamps, the levels are all Bayous. The asthetic is post civil war era as well. It's got a LOT of personality and richness to it that other games just lack. It's extremely obvious they put a great deal of thought into everything around it. And the sound design is utterly amazing. Very few games take audio that seriously, it might take the trophy for audio.

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
IMHO that's part of it's charm. There's way to many TRY HARD 5.11 PANTS HIGH SPEED LOW DRAG MEAL TEAM SIX TACTICOOL OPERATOR stuff out now and honestly, that shit just screams pathetic in some ways now. Way too many games go that route and that type of thing has become an IRL laughing meme.

Hunt does something different and unique and it's all the better for it. Also it's not Western, it's in the swamps, the levels are all Bayous. The asthetic is post civil war era as well. It's got a LOT of personality and richness to it that other games just lack. It's extremely obvious they put a great deal of thought into everything around it. And the sound design is utterly amazing. Very few games take audio that seriously, it might take the trophy for audio.

I partially agree. There are a lot of games that do that first part, but do it very poorly.

I tend to prefer higher realism, slower and more team based titles.

The Red Orchestra series was damn near perfect in this regard (at least in realism/classic game modes)

Running for dear life across an open stretch to try to reach a machine gun nest,and one hit is all it takes to down you and then you hear the roaring sound of artillery shells starting to shower down on you, and then diving headfirst into a gully for cover, throwing a smoke grenade to try to cover your teams advance from there on up. Loved that game.

Most games are just stupid way too fast run and gun and don't pay nearly enough attention to good cover.

The fact that it was highly team based, and you actually HAD TO have a good team working together to win was key too. There was no way one good player could carry a team.

I loved playing the commander class, coordinating with my team leads, to ahve them deploy smoke grenades on a certain stretch to advance, and then perfectly time the artillery drop behind the planned advance and radioing the team leads to advance across the field while the opponent is distracted by artillery.

As great as it was when you had a good team, it could also be really frustrating when people ignored their class responsibilities. Someone selecting one of the team leads (otr worse yet, the commander) because they wanted to try to run and gun with an SMG, or having a team ignoring objectives and just playing long distance super sniper were very frustrating.

I wish there were more games like Red Orchestra.

IMHO it hit the sweet spot between the level of realism that made it fun, but not so much that you had to bind every key on your keyboard and spend an hour crawling in the grass (I'm looking at you Arma)

I played RO when it was a UT2004 mod and I liked it. I wouldn't mind a game like that but oh well that's not really out there.

equinox654

Gawd
I kinda get what you are saying but this was sort of where things had to end up. I still play Quake World and have a blast. I play Hunt off and on. But mostly if I'm going online it's a fighting game or a coop game. I'm fine with single player games as well.
Man I could go for some Quake World Team Fortress.

Silentbob343

[H]ard|Gawd

I recall never being terribly impressed with the visuals, though I never played and only saw videos of it.

ThreeDee

[H]F Junkie

I work in a jail of about 500'ish inmates .. we house for city, county, surrounding counties, state and Feds .. I play to escape any sense of reality/realism .. lol
I don't have any military background , I haven't hunted since the 90's, I don't own a gun and I used to play a lot of Monster Truck Madness 2 about 20 years ago on dial up through my Smoothwall firewall with an ISA 56k hardware modem

So maybe my psyche isn't the "norm" o_O

Man I check to see if people have weapons factory going on quake 2 rtx every so often. All I can find is recorded matches played back in the rtx engine.

Maybe we should set up an H quake server?
I work in a jail of about 500'ish inmates .. we house for city, county, surrounding counties, state and Feds .. I play to escape any sense of reality/realism .. lol
I don't have any military background , I haven't hunted since the 90's, I don't own a gun and I used to play a lot of Monster Truck Madness 2 about 20 years ago on dial up through my Smoothwall firewall with an ISA 56k hardware modem

So maybe my psyche isn't the "norm" o_O

Ex military and contractor, I see no reason to bother with pretend war for incels.