PS3 Fastest Selling console in British history.

contrivance

Limp Gawd
As taken from IGN.

"UK, March 27, 2007 - As expected, PlayStation 3 has become the fastest selling home console in British history, with 165,000 consoles flying off the shelves since it was launched last Friday.

Thanks to plenty of early stock - compared to the Wii and Xbox 360 - most people could walk into a store over the weekend and buy a console without any hassle. In fact, many retailers still have units available and the 165,000 consoles sold only account for a third of the overall UK stock.

PS3 comfortably beat the Wii and Xbox 360 launches, which managed to sell 105,000 and 70,000 respectively. However, while PS3 may be the best-selling home console, it still failed to eclipse Sony's PSP, which racked up a staggering 185,000 sales during launch weekend."

I thought the UK launch was a DISASTER?! :rolleyes: Discuss.

joemama

[H]F Junkie
I think the reports of the "launch disaster" were due to the lack of the same mania that occured with the North American launch...not based on any real sales figures. The strong sales are kind of surprising considering the outrageous price of the thing over there..

Domingo

Fully [H]
I'm sure we're about to hear that IGN is biased (only Kotaku tells the "truth") or that those numbers are incorrect.

4saken

[H]F Junkie
Thats a pretty stout number....i dont care what excuses ppl come up with.

4saken

[H]F Junkie
"Meanwhile, games firm Namco Bandai has said it is to use the PS3's Cell chip in arcade machines." Tekken 6 in particular.

Interesting. Does that mean we can count on Tekkens to stay PS3 exclusive? Or at least a better chance that it will stay exclusive?

Jerome36

2[H]4U
I tried to avoid a lot of the discussion, regarding the sales during the launch, until actual numbers were released. The thing to watch now is if sales will remain strong, or will they dip significantly, because all the early adapters bought the console, and everybody else is waiting until they can afford one (whether they need to save up more, or they're waiting for a price drop).

aznpxdd

2[H]4U
What a disaster...it can't even sell as much as the PSP (which is also a failure according to Sony haters).

:rolleyes:

Rash

2[H]4U
What a disaster...it can't even sell as much as the PSP (which is also a failure according to Sony haters).

lmao, yer i remember the days when sony haters said no one would buy the psp or the ps3, where are they now?

Erasmus354

[H]F Junkie
It is pretty clear that the Wii and the 360 were both limited in sales by the number of consoles available. The PS3 did not have that problem because Sony chose to wait. Ergo, Sony wins in initial sales figures.

4saken

[H]F Junkie
It is pretty clear that the Wii and the 360 were both limited in sales by the number of consoles available. The PS3 did not have that problem because Sony chose to wait. Ergo, Sony wins in initial sales figures.

Probably true, but, doesnt having the ability to meet and surpass demand count for a lot? Nintendo Wii does constantly sell out now, but how many sales are they not getting by not being able to produce?

Erasmus354

[H]F Junkie
Probably true, but, doesnt having the ability to meet and surpass demand count for a lot? Nintendo Wii does constantly sell out now, but how many sales are they not getting by not being able to produce?

No it doesn't count for anything because the only reason they have enough is because they already delayed it by nearly half a year. Sorry that doesn't get any Kudos in my book....

When you consider that PSP is competing against DS directly, it *is* a failure. It's been outsold worldwide 2:1, in its home country 3:1. Now, that's not to say that as a *product* it's a failure, 20 million in 2 years is still pretty respectable, and it's certainly done better than any other competitor to Nintendo has ever done, so they deserve kudos for that.

As I've said a thousand times, this'll be an interesting generation to watch unfold, and the only thing that's clear already is that there will likely not be another PS2 this time around.

Lord Nassirbannipal

[H]ard|Gawd
The PSP is not competing directly against the DS. Both Sony and Nintendo have stated that the two were not meant to compete against each other and that they are both targeting different demographics.

Baker

2[H]4U
As I've said a thousand times, this'll be an interesting generation to watch unfold, and the only thing that's clear already is that there will likely not be another PS2 this time around.

Don't be to sure of that ;)

PS3 might be "hot" stuff this time next year.... who knows? :D

I bet no matter what, even if Sony and the PS3 do well, or become huge, there are still gonna be the children of Bill Gates that will knock PS3 till their blue in the face. :(

JohnleMVP

Supreme [H]ardness
That statement isn't far from the truth. New consoles tend to sell out during launch. Even the Dreamcast did well. Sony did a good job with supply so they sold a lot.

The PSP is not competing directly against the DS. Both Sony and Nintendo have stated that the two were not meant to compete against each other and that they are both targeting different demographics.

yeah, and no offense but that's horseshit. PSP and DS are both portable gaming systems, therefore they are both targeted at GAMERS, period. Yes, PSP caters a little more to the hardcore crowd and DS reaches out to grab some more of the casuals, but your average gamer is most assuredly in the sights of BOTH companies and their portable platforms.

Bottom line, DS and PSP are in competition, and while PSP is putting up a good fight, DS is still kicking its ass.

Don't be to sure of that ;)

PS3 might be "hot" stuff this time next year.... who knows? :D

I bet no matter what, even if Sony and the PS3 do well, or become huge, there are still gonna be the children of Bill Gates that will knock PS3 till their blue in the face. :(

Anything could happen, no question about it. Of course, I remember the same things being said regaridng the original Xbox possibly overtaking PS2 in a year or so after launch, but that never materialize either, LOL.

At the moment, it looks like the Wii might have a good shot at overtaking 360, but PS3 doesn't seem to be even close. Who knows, though? Either way it'll be entertaining to watch the whining, sniveling corporate whores thumping their console drum no matter what :)

stevedave

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm glade to see Sony actually had an ok launch for the first time in there history, but I feel bad for the people who had to pay so much for the PS3 were us poor Americans got it for only 600.

LeviathanZERO

Supreme [H]ardness
WOW.
WTF happened in the last 2 days? 600k?

Well. Dumbfounded really. As much trash I heard from people in the UK about the price, this is an incredible surprise. (And the ghost town sytle launch.)

I thought USA was the richest country in the world. Guess not. (425 pounds is 880 dollars.)

Oh well. Good for them.

VoodooChi|d

[H]ard|Gawd
Considering the EU makes less money on average than the U.S. and the console costs more that is pretty damn impressive.

I sure as hell wouldn't pay $880 for one.

K600

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm glad to see that the UK was receptive of their price hike, multiple delays, and insulting press. I wonder how much Sony will charge them for the PS4; $1000+?

VoodooChi|d

[H]ard|Gawd
The UK taxes themselves into those prices and considering the PS4 probably won't come out till 2012 or so and $1000 is only a price increase of $120 it wouldn't seem impossible that could happen.

Technoob

Supreme [H]ardness
It's not surprising that the euro wide launch sold that many. They had months after the US launch to have more units than demand, as opposed to japan and the US that only had 100k.

PS3 didn't have a terrible launch in the US< they just had terrible supply problems. With those problems fixed for the euro launch, they sold a ton of consoles, and anyone who thought they wouldn't is pretty dumb.

Northbridge

Limp Gawd
Im suprised that people still find a way to put a negative spin on this.

Honestly its getting really annoying now.

joemama

[H]F Junkie
WOW.
WTF happened in the last 2 days? 600k?

Well. Dumbfounded really. As much trash I heard from people in the UK about the price, this is an incredible surprise. (And the ghost town sytle launch.)

I thought USA was the richest country in the world. Guess not. (425 pounds is 880 dollars.)

Oh well. Good for them.
The 600k was for the entire European launch including Australia..

edit- to be technical..the richest per capita "country" in the world would probably be Dubai, Qatar or something like that.. ;)

Iratus

[H]ard|Gawd
Per Capita the richest country is actually Iceland.

UK has lower per capita GDP than the US but the average wage is actually higher. That just shows inefficient companies and high taxation rather than poor people.

If the UK had the same population as the states the GDP would be within single figure percentage points of the US.

Iratus

[H]ard|Gawd
Well Iceland is because it only has 200,000 people live there and they have an absolutely enormous fishing and aluminium industry. As far as I know it jumped up to first last year.

Hot chicks there too, great place :)

Lord Nassirbannipal

[H]ard|Gawd
yeah, and no offense but that's horseshit. PSP and DS are both portable gaming systems, therefore they are both targeted at GAMERS, period. Yes, PSP caters a little more to the hardcore crowd and DS reaches out to grab some more of the casuals, but your average gamer is most assuredly in the sights of BOTH companies and their portable platforms.

Bottom line, DS and PSP are in competition, and while PSP is putting up a good fight, DS is still kicking its ass.

What part of "Sony and Nintendo have both stated that the two platforms were not meant to compete against each other" do you not understand?

Two companies can release systems without having them compete against each other just as two companies can release cars, computers, cameras, etc without having them compete against each other. Sony wanted the PSP to specifically target older males whereas Nintendo wanted the DS to have a broader appeal. This should be pretty obvious to tell from the fact that the game libraries are very different, one is really pushing multimedia features whereas the other is doing almost nothing of the sort, and while both have been on the market for more than two years, neither one has seen a real price drop.

Seriously, if you're going to claim that they're competing with each other, then atleast bring up some real points to back up what you're saying instead of just stating the obvious.

K600

[H]ard|Gawd
What part of "Sony and Nintendo have both stated that the two platforms were not meant to compete against each other" do you not understand?

Two companies can release systems without having them compete against each other just as two companies can release cars, computers, cameras, etc without having them compete against each other. Sony wanted the PSP to specifically target older males whereas Nintendo wanted the DS to have a broader appeal. This should be pretty obvious to tell from the fact that the game libraries are very different, one is really pushing multimedia features whereas the other is doing almost nothing of the sort, and while both have been on the market for more than two years, neither one has seen a real price drop.

Seriously, if you're going to claim that they're competing with each other, then atleast bring up some real points to back up what you're saying instead of just stating the obvious.

Perhaps you can provide an example of where Nintendo stated that they weren't competing with the PSP. I know Sony has said it (As they're being thoroughly bested in nearly every country where both are for sale) but I can't recall Nintendo making such a statement. Sony has also said ot to save face in regards to the Playstation 3/Wii.

jonneymendoza

Supreme [H]ardness
listen, that figure its just an ESTIMATE. i live in the UK and i can tell you this that you can walk into almost ANY shop selling games and they will have more than 10 IN STOCK!

they even sell it at our big supermarket called TESCO!

its been like that since the day it was launched. now i dont believe that its the fastest selling console in here has us UK people are not dumb enough to fork out on a &#163;425 console that have shit games out and have a piss poor online system compared to xbox live

Lord Nassirbannipal

[H]ard|Gawd
Perhaps you can provide an example of where Nintendo stated that they weren't competing with the PSP. I know Sony has said it (As they're being thoroughly bested in nearly every country where both are for sale) but I can't recall Nintendo making such a statement. Sony has also said ot to save face in regards to the Playstation 3/Wii.

http://www.megagames.com/news/html/console/nintendodsprice.shtml

That's from before either handheld even launched(I believe they both made similar statements regarding this before their systems launched, so I doubt it has anything to do with sales figures). The DS wasn't even supposed to be a predecessor the GBA.

And it was actually Nintendo who first stated the Wii(Revolution at the time) wasn't competing(it wasn't just Sony saying this with the PS3)......

http://gamedome.invisionzone.com/lofiversion/index.php/t1515.html <----You can find that elsewhere via google.

One of the reasons the PSP has managed to sell its 20 million units in two years is because it isn't directly competing with Nintendo's handheld. Notice how other handhelds that have tried to do so ended up meeting rather quick demises(Atari Lynx and Sega Game Gear sold two million in five years and eight million in seven years before being quietly abandoned by their respective companies).

K600

[H]ard|Gawd
Finding conservative pre-launch statements of their intentions isn't what I would call proof that they're not competing. Nintendo isn't Sony; they don't go out of their way to bad mouth the competition. They're a conservative company, through and through.

The whole "Direct Competition" line of thought is kind of sad when you look at what it is intended to do (Take emphasis off the fact that the Wii and DS are dominating their respective industries).

Bowhuntr11

[H]F Junkie
listen, that figure its just an ESTIMATE. i live in the UK and i can tell you this that you can walk into almost ANY shop selling games and they will have more than 10 IN STOCK!

they even sell it at our big supermarket called TESCO!

its been like that since the day it was launched. now i dont believe that its the fastest selling console in here has us UK people are not dumb enough to fork out on a &#163;425 console that have shit games out and have a piss poor online system compared to xbox live

And were there 30 in stock? Now 10 in stock? Or 50 in stock before that 10 now? I'm just saying people are saying this, and yes they have said "we are selling alot of PS3's and we still have them in stock because we got a big supply."

Maybe sony bought all those console's at stores to make themselves look good ;) haha