Prey (2017)

Susquehannock

2[H]4U
My wait is over. Just got Steam message that Prey is on sale at $19.99 (50% off) right now.

Great to see so many positive comments. Been looking forward to this game since seeing some of the early previews.

Really appreciate the use of Spoilers here. Probably not going to buy for some time since this is the beginning of my outside season and have little time for games. Hopefully Prey will be on sale for a nice price once fall/winter approaches.

djoye

2[H]4U
Do I need to back-track in this game (return to some areas later)? I'm at the beginning, took a side mission and I'm finding the mimic guy made of fire difficult to kill, perhaps I need to get more familiar with the stealth mechanics.

Lateralus

More [H]uman than Human
Do I need to back-track in this game (return to some areas later)? I'm at the beginning, took a side mission and I'm finding the mimic guy made of fire difficult to kill, perhaps I need to get more familiar with the stealth mechanics.

You can (and will) return to previously explored areas, depending on mission objectives. Can always prolong encounters and try to upgrade your skills/weapons before taking them on but I didn't find the fire mimics to be overly difficult. Also, when you run into the really big scary dude (Nightmare, I think?), you don't HAVE to kill him - notice the on-screen objective.

Reactions: djoye
like this

djoye

2[H]4U
Well, I killed two or three of the Nightmare guys, I need that sweet sweet bio material (whatever it is) for Neuromods. Leveling-up the sneak abilities and then silently running up to a bad guy with a close-range shotgun blast is very rewarding.

Is there a point of no return that isn't obvious? I'm moving through the main story, but I think I'm about to get Alex's key or code (I'm in the cargo bay), I still want to complete the secondary missions.

ghostwich

[H]ard|Gawd
Well, I killed two or three of the Nightmare guys, I need that sweet sweet bio material (whatever it is) for Neuromods. Leveling-up the sneak abilities and then silently running up to a bad guy with a close-range shotgun blast is very rewarding.

Is there a point of no return that isn't obvious? I'm moving through the main story, but I think I'm about to get Alex's key or code (I'm in the cargo bay), I still want to complete the secondary missions.
Most side missions can be accomplished at any point in the game- as far as "point of no return" I know of two major ones:

In the Cargo Bay area it's possible to lose the ambush, and among the survivors is the... security chief and the doctor (Igwe) who I believe can be killed, losing access to those side missions.

After meeting Alex in the Arboretum, the game changes dramatically with the arrival of Dahl and areas become more difficult to access as there are hostile drones all over the place.

I'm pretty sure I had enough saves to get around any major points like this, but your mileage may vary.

Reactions: djoye
like this

djoye

2[H]4U
The people in the cargo bay turned against me because I turned into a coffee cup to get into the gated area; they didn't see me go in, but when I came out they saw me and started shooting at me so I loaded an earlier save. 20 hours in and I didn't know that was a thing, heheh.

Susquehannock

2[H]4U
Played first couple hours or so of Prey and really liked it. Then got distracted playing Mad Max. ;)

TheToE!

[H] Brewmaster
I know im late to the party but..How did we go from a bad ass native american killing aliens to this bullshit?

J3RK

[H]F Junkie
True, but, to be fair, the fuckery with the name is a bit annoying.

Yes, it's kind of a stupid use of a previously used property. However, the new Prey is excellent.

I loved the originality of character and setting of the original Prey, loved some of the plot elements, some of the physical mechanics (like portals and such) were new and fresh, and I enjoyed the game overall. However, in the overall scheme of things the new Prey IMO is a better game overall. It's a totally different type of game though. It's like System Shock Lite, which is for me is tip top seeing that I love this type of game. However, anyone writing it off because of the use of the name Prey, and the difference from the old Prey would be making a mistake in not playing this in my view.

CrimsonKnight13

Lord Stabington of [H]ard|Fortress
Looks very rogue-like. Hopefully I can keep playing from a save point/checkpoint instead of a complete reset. Also, NG+!

Ryan7968

Limp Gawd
I bought this last night, really enjoyed the base game once I got into it so figured I'd give the DLC a shot. Only played for about 30 minutes, escaped the moon with the first simulation. As you progress we'll be unlocking more characters to run the simulations, and the end goal is to make them all escape on a single run. The better you do the more simulation bucks you get to customize these characters and their loadouts, not too sure how all that works since I had to turn the game off after the first run. So far I've enjoyed what I've seen.

I was also excited for NG+, unfortunately all of my save games are gone. Didn't reinstall the game or anything so not sure why they are not either in the steam cloud or on my hard drive.

Ryan7968

Limp Gawd
The moon base is quite a bit smaller than Talos I, but from what I've gathered the things that can change will make replays different. The first run was very easy, you could probably view it as a tutorial for the DLC and that's all I did so far. The randomization of the level should keep it fresh I hope (different enemies, different hazards, maybe a particular area will have life support disabled, etc.). The characters can be upgraded but they have a certain role predefined so it will make you play outside of your comfort zone, for example in my playthrough of the regular game I never even delved into the typhon skill trees but in the DLC you'll surely be using psi/typhon abilities heavily on certain characters.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this

J3RK

[H]F Junkie
I haven't really been following E3. Then woke up today with all of my gaming dreams answered. :D First all of the announcements for everything I could possibly want from a PC game perspective sitting on the horizon, and then Prey DLC available immediately was the icing. Pretty good day as far as announcements go. :cool: Now I have to grab this, and get my ass to mar... ...the moon.

Frraksurred

2[H]4U
I was hoping for story DLC, not procedurally generated horde mode, but I'll take whatever Prey content they're still willing to make. Enjoyed this game, own it on 2 platforms, just wish the story would have been expanded more. The ending didn't explain much.

like this

J3RK

[H]F Junkie
I was hoping for story DLC, not procedurally generated horde mode, but I'll take whatever Prey content they're still willing to make. Enjoyed this game, own it on 2 platforms, just wish the story would have been expanded more. The ending didn't explain much.

I'd prefer more story as well, but this will fill in some game gaps here or there.

Q-BZ

Fully [H]
Incredibly dumb question by me but here goes: How do you start new game+? I have saves and I can continue from my saves from the regular game but when I new game+ it says there's no saves and doesn't do it. What dumb little detail am I missing?

J3RK

[H]F Junkie
Incredibly dumb question by me but here goes: How do you start new game+? I have saves and I can continue from my saves from the regular game but when I new game+ it says there's no saves and doesn't do it. What dumb little detail am I missing?

Haven't tried myself, but barring any better ideas or real knowledge from someone else, do you have a save right near the end, (but not quite the end) that you could then beat quickly on the new build? That might be enough to push it over the edge. Or maybe just re-save your game after the DLC/Update has been installed? Guessing you probably tried those, but...

like this

Q-BZ

Fully [H]
Haven't tried myself, but barring any better ideas or real knowledge from someone else, do you have a save right near the end, (but not quite the end) that you could then beat quickly on the new build? That might be enough to push it over the edge. Or maybe just re-save your game after the DLC/Update has been installed? Guessing you probably tried those, but...

You were right. I loaded my save right before the end sequence, immediately re-saved it, went through the ending, got back to the main menu and it was all set to go. :)

Reactions: J3RK
like this

J3RK

[H]F Junkie
You were right. I loaded my save right before the end sequence, immediately re-saved it, went through the ending, got back to the main menu and it was all set to go. :)

Nice! I was hoping it would just be a file versioning thing or something.

like this

Q-BZ

Fully [H]
Attempt to write data to address oxooooooo7fe6bcc603 the memory could not be written

^^ Anyone else get this error when playing the main game? It likes to crash on occasion with hacking and other transitionals. I've looked around and other people have had the problem and couldn't really nail down a solution. Hardware is fine... verified files...current drivers.... not sure what else to do.

MavericK

Zero Cool
Attempt to write data to address oxooooooo7fe6bcc603 the memory could not be written

^^ Anyone else get this error when playing the main game? It likes to crash on occasion with hacking and other transitionals. I've looked around and other people have had the problem and couldn't really nail down a solution. Hardware is fine... verified files...current drivers.... not sure what else to do.

Sounds like a RAM or page file issue, to be honest.

like this

Q-BZ

Fully [H]
Sounds like a RAM or page file issue, to be honest.

No other problems in or out of any other games...including Prey DLC... except for this.

(I can try disabling/reducing size of page file?)

Last edited:

UnknownSouljer

Supreme [H]ardness
No other problems in or out of any other games...including Prey DLC... except for this.

(I can try disabling/reducing size of page file?)

Try running a RAM test and see if your memory if failing. I kept having problems when doing intensive workloads (mostly things like Photoshop and Video Rendering), and eventually found out that was my problem as it became more frequent. Wasn't so bad though, the RAM had lasted for 6 years, so can't complain.

like this