People Recall Information Better Through Virtual Reality

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
A new study released by the University of Maryland shows that people can recall information better if it's presented to them via VR. The immersive environment of VR as opposed to traditional computers screens or tablets appears to be the next step in education. This is one of the first studies of its type and should usher in an era of more interesting and efficient education. So hold onto your VR headsets and get ready to do something besides watch pr0n or play games.

For the study, the UMD researchers recruited 40 volunteers--mostly UMD students unfamiliar with virtual reality. The researchers split the participants into two groups: one viewed information first via a VR head-mounted display and then on a desktop; the other did the opposite.

dyzophoria

Gawd
I wonder if it has something to with the enthusiasm the students would probably have since it is something "new" and "cool" , kind like of a "honey moon" period.

sfsuphysics

[H]F Junkie
Color me shocked...

I (used to) tell my the results on studies on cognitive learning, and try to emphasize the point that if they just sit there and listen to the lecture they'll end up only recalling about 10% of what I say, and if they simply write down what I say/put on the board that number only jumps to about 20-25% and such is the problem with students, they think that simply copying what the teacher says will make them remember and it's the teachers fault that they didn't remember any of the material when they don't want to put in any effort outside of class to review (which makes things jump well over 60%)