OnePlus Will Make a Smart TV

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
OnePlus may be forgoing analog output on their next smartphone, but but at least another product lineup will have it. In a forum post, Oneplus, which is known for their affordable "flagship" Android smartphones, announced the "OnePlus TV." Pete Lau, the company chief, is leading the development of the new TV. Potential specs and pricing are unknown at this time. Many smartphone companies are looking to cash into the "smart home" market with smart speakers, but it seems that OnePlus is diving in with a TV instead.

We want to bring the home environment to the next level of intelligent connectivity. To do this, we are building a new product of OnePlus’ premium flagship design, image quality and audio experience to more seamlessly connect the home.

As a devout OnePlus 5T fan I too am sad they said they are foregoing the headphone jack on the 6T. That being said I am very stoked about this news. In general OnePlus provides A LOT of hardware for the money. They also tend to be very pro consumer.

If they bring a kick ass local dimming LCD to the market that's dolby vision ceritifed I'll be tempted. I have an X900E Sony 65" that's very good, but Sony is a shithead company that's dicked me in the past. It'll be nice to have a very good TV from a company that cares about it's customers.

Ehhhh... I don't think they are going to be able to make a better performing TV by lowering the resolution this go around. I'll be interested to see what corners they cut or features they downgrade in order to keep the TV in the price point they want.

My personal bet is they do a TV with no sound and display only. That cuts out a lot of logic from the TV and lowers their bottom line cost. I suspect it will be a 'smart' tv but it will have an HDMI out to feed to a home theater system as well for when watching native TV content so you can have audio.

Thoughts?

Their trick for phones is they use current gen CPU's and MOST other hardware (dumping things like NFC) and also run it at 1920x1080 as opposed to higher resolutions. This gives them heaps of battery life and makes their performance look better than other top tier flagship phones.

Ehhhh... I don't think they are going to be able to make a better performing TV by lowering the resolution this go around. I'll be interested to see what corners they cut or features they downgrade in order to keep the TV in the price point they want.

My personal bet is they do a TV with no sound and display only. That cuts out a lot of logic from the TV and lowers their bottom line cost. I suspect it will be a 'smart' tv but it will have an HDMI out to feed to a home theater system as well for when watching native TV content so you can have audio.

Thoughts?

Their trick for phones is they use current gen CPU's and MOST other hardware (dumping things like NFC) and also run it at 1920x1080 as opposed to higher resolutions. This gives them heaps of battery life and makes their performance look better than other top tier flagship phones.

I can't see the difference between my old Nexus 6p 1440p OLED screen and my 5T 1080p OLED screen in terms of resolution. In general use or watching videos. What can I see is that my 5T NEVER lags. EVER. Most fluid performing phone I've ever seen and it's about to be two versions old. I could care less that it's 1080p. It's 6" screen or whatever for Pete's sake.

I can't see the difference between my old Nexus 6p 1440p OLED screen and my 5T 1080p OLED screen in terms of resolution. In general use or watching videos. What can I see is that my 5T NEVER lags. EVER. Most fluid performing phone I've ever seen and it's about to be two versions old. I could care less that it's 1080p. It's 6" screen or whatever for Pete's sake.

Right and that works for a phone. I'm not calling it a bad decision. I'm saying that won't fly for a TV.

Right and that works for a phone. I'm not calling it a bad decision. I'm saying that won't fly for a TV.

Oh sorry, I thought you were being sarcastic about it. Yes, I agree. That trick isn't an option. We'll see. I'm optimistic but in the end the product will have to speak for itself.

Oh sorry, I thought you were being sarcastic about it. Yes, I agree. That trick isn't an option. We'll see. I'm optimistic but in the end the product will have to speak for itself.

The last hurdle is... MOST people don't buy a tv sight unseen. They go to stores.. look at the big tv's find one they like.. read reviews to make sure... then make a purchasing choice and look for the best deal available. OnePLus has been very hard to get a hands on demo of. That's going to be a big cost to them that they will have to find a way to absorb. Not to mention being of Chinese manufacture there are liable to be some big tariff costs as well.

The tariffs aren't policy yet. If you're talking about Trump's threats.

Maybe they can get a good price on lg slightly reject screens/ last year's model and thow some good CPU in it for good image processing and sell it cheepish....one can dream probably be a shithy led tv

Will it come with a special OnePlus wall mount that puts the screen a few inches from your face so the 6" OLED touchscreen TV seems bigger?

Back