new windows update restarts computer?

ann0yanc3

Gawd
i just got back to my computer not long ago. apparently, windows decided to update itself and then restart without asking permission. lovely. seems as though a bunch of my AIM buddies aren't signed on as usual.

hmmm...

J32P2006

Gawd
I got a new update last night and installed it. When I woke up alittle while ago it still had this on the screen.

J32P2006-00.png

Actually it keeps popping up every couple minutes.

So I don't see why your computer would actually restart itself.

But hey, I don't doubt it.

michealo

[H]ard|Gawd
my main pc had the window, but my notebook had actually restarted on it's own sometime last night.

from event log at 3:06am

"Restart Required: To complete the installation of the following updates, the computer will be restarted within 5 minutes:
- Security Update for Windows XP (KB912919)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp."

Direwolf20

2[H]4U
What windows update usually does, if set to automatic, is popup a window saying "Updates complete, would you like to restart now?" and it has a 5 minute timer. If theres no user action in 5 minutes, it reboots.

Disabling automatic installs, and just telling it to download them will prevent this. Just make sure to install the updates and reboot when you get to your computer.

S1nF1xx

Supreme [H]ardness
Direwolf20 said:
What windows update usually does, if set to automatic, is popup a window saying "Updates complete, would you like to restart now?" and it has a 5 minute timer. If theres no user action in 5 minutes, it reboots.

This is the one problem with automatic updates IMO. It should never automatically reboot the computer. Instead of doing that, it should automatically apply the updates when you shutdown or reboot the computer. Then I'd actually be able to run automatic updates on my client's computers.

Direwolf20

2[H]4U
Agreed. You could be in the middle anything where a reboot would mess you up. Lots of people leave processes running overnight.

J32P2006

Gawd
I have windows update set to Download Updates for me, but let me choose when to install them.

But does anybody know of a way to make windows update to stop asking me if I want to reboot after I Install the update ?

I don't want to see the dang window every five minutes and I don't to reboot just because an update was installed.

Thanks

Direwolf20

2[H]4U
You should reboot, its the best way to ensure the patch was completely applied.

Rumor has it that vista will have less reboots, but time will tell on that. For now, its a best practice, as for making it stop bothering you, the best way I know of is to just reboot :).

kumquat

Supreme [H]ardness
Never set Windows to automatically install the updates, because this kind of stuff happens.

Set it to download, but not install until you decide to.

djnes

Fully [H]
J32P2006 said:
I don't want to see the dang window every five minutes and I don't to reboot just because an update was installed.
In the time it took you to reply to this thread, you could have rebooted. Ask yourself which is more of a "hassle"....rebooting or getting the virus that this fix prevents?

Direwolf20 said:
You should reboot, its the best way to ensure the patch was completely applied.

Rumor has it that vista will have less reboots, but time will tell on that. For now, its a best practice, as for making it stop bothering you, the best way I know of is to just reboot :).
Exactly. It's just a reboot. I can never understand why so many people bother to complain about rebooting.

/dev/null

[H]F Junkie
djnes said:
In the time it took you to reply to this thread, you could have rebooted. Ask yourself which is more of a "hassle"....rebooting or getting the virus that this fix prevents?

Exactly. It's just a reboot. I can never understand why so many people bother to complain about rebooting.

Hm, our dual xeon w/ 2G ram exchange server takes 20-30 minutes to reboot. Required rebooting = baaaaaaaaaaaad.

Rob

S1nF1xx

Supreme [H]ardness
Robstar said:
Hm, our dual xeon w/ 2G ram exchange server takes 20-30 minutes to reboot. Required rebooting = baaaaaaaaaaaad.

Rob

I'm pretty sure this would fall out of the scope of "home user" which this particular debate is covering.

J32P2006

Gawd
djnes said:

Comment #1

I use Nod32 so I don't really worry that much about viruses. And who's to say that when microsoft releases a patch that it will actually do what it's supposed to do.

But your soo wrong J32P2006, Microsoft patches are the bestest thing in da world.

Comment #2

And Damn, every time I see you post in a thread your complaining about other people.
I swear that you must be pist off all the time or just love telling people how bad what they do is.

And I don't mind rebooting, but when I want to. :D

One more thing, your complaining, I wasn't just stating my opinion.

Direwolf20

2[H]4U
No antivirus system is better than a microsoft patch. This exploit in particular spawned SO many variants of viruses in such a short period of time, that I guarantee that NOD32 didn't get the definitions for all of them.

You may well get infected without this patch, and NOD32 would not pick it up.

I can also tell you that the microsoft patch DOES do what its supposed to. Internet Storm Center already analyzed and confirmed that....

As for djnes, he's an intelligent guy who spends a lot of time answering questions and helping out on this messageboard for free. He doesn't sugarcoat his answers for people, he tells it like it is. Thats not a bad thing, IMHO.

kumquat

Supreme [H]ardness
Robstar said:

Rob
30 minutes?! WTF?

I've got a handful of high load dual xeon servers with boatloads of RAM, and none of them take more than 2-3 minutes for a full reboot. Is Exchange really that bad?? Heck, my Domino server with 650 users takes ~4 minutes.

djnes

Fully [H]
Robstar said:

Rob
Required booting is definitely something that takes a lot of consideration on enterprise production servers...but as mentioned, I believe this only affects client machines.

kumquat

Supreme [H]ardness
djnes said:
Required booting is definitely something that takes a lot of consideration on enterprise production servers...but as mentioned, I believe this only affects client machines.
No production server should ever be set to automatically install anything.

djnes

Fully [H]
;)
J32P2006 said:

Comment #1

I use Nod32 so I don't really worry that much about viruses. And who's to say that when microsoft releases a patch that it will actually do what it's supposed to do.

But your soo wrong J32P2006, Microsoft patches are the bestest thing in da world.

Comment #2

And Damn, every time I see you post in a thread your complaining about other people.
I swear that you must be pist off all the time or just love telling people how bad what they do is.

And I don't mind rebooting, but when I want to. :D

One more thing, your complaining, I wasn't just stating my opinion.

1) When Microsoft releases a patch to fix a hole this bad, you apply it right away. You're correct in saying it might not be the end all be all to this problem, but it's a hell of a lot better than leaving the system unpatched, right?

2) I do a lot of groaning and correcting, etc because these forums have changed dramatically over the past 2 years or so. Just see the thread today asking where the operating system is stored. :rolleyes: Anytime a question was asked, it had a great response. When a debate was started, it was always finalized with good clear answers. Now, there seems to be a huge number of posts that don't make any logical sense, or are just flat out wrong. Do you ever read on other forums what is said about these forums?

Speaking of complaining, you were the one who initially complained about something as simple as having to reboot, correct? This is a perfect example of why I get so frustrated. You complain about having to reboot for a security patch. If you didn't apply it, you'd create a thread on how Micro$haft Winblows sucks because you got a virus. Either way, you'd have a complaint that could have been easily remedied. I still stand by my comments that in the time it took to post in this thread, you could have applied the patch and been done with it. I also recommend following kumquat's advice about Automatic Update settings. Then you will know about the patch, but can install it and reboot when you get a minute.

EDIT: I should have added that am getting more and more cynical about everything, including the way our country is run in my old age (27). ;)

djnes

Fully [H]
kumquat said:
No production server should ever be set to automatically install anything.
I never said it should be. That would be very very bad. Patches should be loaded in a test environment, and worked over. If they pass at that point, then they should be loaded on the production servers.

J32P2006

Gawd
djnes said:
1) When Microsoft releases a patch to fix a hole this bad, you apply it right away. You're correct in saying it might not be the end all be all to this problem, but it's a hell of a lot better than leaving the system unpatched, right?

2) I do a lot of correcting, etc because these forums have changed dramatically over the past 2 years or so. Anytime I question was asked, it had a great response. When a debate was started, it was always finalized with good clear answers. Now, there seems to be a huge number of posts that don't make any logical sense, or are just flat out wrong. Do you ever read on other forums what is said about these forums?

Speaking of complaining, you were the one who initially complained about something as simple as having to reboot, correct? This is a perfect example of why I get so frustrated. You complain about having to reboot for a security patch. If you didn't apply it, you'd create a thread on how Micro$haft Winblows sucks because you got a virus. Either way, you'd have a complaint that could have been easily remedied. I still stand by my comments that in the time it took to post in this thread, you could have applied the patch and been done with it. I also recommend following kumquat's advice about Automatic Update settings. Then you will know about the patch, but can install it and reboot when you get a minute.

1) Maybe

2) No I don't really care about what forums say about other forums.
I know what sites I like and that's what matters to me.

3) No, I'm pretty sure I wasn't complaining.
But I'll double check and get back to you right after I reboot.
Maybe the word dang makes you think that, sorry. "I was just stating my opinion."
But I'm not pissed about it, so I'm pretty sure I wasn't complaing.

Example of me complaining.

MY VX924 is a big piece of sh_t.
It has soo much backlight bleeding that it looks like the moon shining through the clouds and night.

Sorry, not a good example

If you didn't apply it, you'd create a thread on how Micro$haft Winblows sucks because you got a virus.

No again, I like windows XP and MCE. with or without the viruses. Preferably without them of course

Then you will know about the patch, but can install it and reboot when you get a minute.

Will do.

djnes

Fully [H]
When I made the comment about "you creating a thread about Micro$haft Winblows" I should have explained better that I wasn't referring to you personally. You've been around a while, so I'm sure you've noticed the amount of threads where the OP bitches and complains about some Microsoft product, when the issue at hand isn't even caused by the Microsoft product.

By the way, if a VX924 is an LCD...consider this a shameless plug for an HP F1905.

djnes

Fully [H]
There really wasn't much to be discussed on topic. It's a security update, which most often requires a reboot to install. We could debate all day long about the need for Windows to reboot for things like this, but that's just the way it is. It's a very important update, and installing it should be a must.

eggrock

Supreme [H]ardness
illdklli said:
i just got back to my computer not long ago. apparently, windows decided to update itself and then restart without asking permission. lovely. seems as though a bunch of my AIM buddies aren't signed on as usual.

hmmm...

Same here. I was on the phone--with an hour or so worth of C++ sitting UNSAVED. I crapped my drawers when I heard the shutdown noise in the other room.

A few seconds ago I also had some .NET passport wizard pop up. Same thing happened @ work today. WTF?

Fucking thing needs to ASK before it restarts.

powerade

Gawd
S1nF1xx said:
This is the one problem with automatic updates IMO. It should never automatically reboot the computer. Instead of doing that, it should automatically apply the updates when you shutdown or reboot the computer. Then I'd actually be able to run automatic updates on my client's computers.

thats the problem right tehre, people never restart or cold boot. imo its fine how it is if u set the "install" time in ur options to around 6 am like i have it, especialy if u have "clients"