Need help- pc keeps rebooting to POST

rage4order

Gawd
My sister started having problems with her pc last week. I haven't really looked at it yet but would like some suggestions on where to start. The computer boots up and goes thru the POST and I get to the boot options menu- "Safe Mode", "Start Windows Normally", etc. The problem is, no matter which option I choose, it reboots and does the exact same thing- POST and then boot menu. Any ideas on what the problem might be?

Sikkyu

I Question Reality
could be meny things. if its overclocked it would lead to instability.

hardware component could be done, might be the hard drive.

it would really help if you posted the specs and model number of the computer in question.

gimp

[H]F Junkie
it's probably BSOD'ing and auto-rebooting. That would be my guess, anyway.

And there could be many many causes.

rage4order

Gawd
could be meny things. if its overclocked it would lead to instability.

hardware component could be done, might be the hard drive.

it would really help if you posted the specs and model number of the computer in question.
Honestly, I can't remember the specs on it. It's a build I did for her a couple years ago. I believe it was an Athlon processor. I'll take a better look and if I have more problems, I'll post all the specs. I figured I was gonna pull the hard drive and try it in one of my computers and/or swap out the psu with an extra I have laying around.

08Torrent

n00b
Agreed, could be many things, but sounds like PSU or overheating. If the pc gets bumped around a lot, heatsink could be loose.

rage4order

Gawd
Ok, here's where I'm at: opened up case and cleaned it out(lots of dust); swapped out psu and still same thing; cleared CMOS; pulled hard drive, put into working computer and ran chkdsk-no errors; removed cpu fan, cleaned cpu, put new paste and replaced fan. After all this it's still doing the same thing. I haven't tested the memory yet cause I only have one stick(512mb) and don't have another to try. Here's one little interesting bit and I don't know if it's just me but after I hit "enter" to try to continue(at the boot menu), I hear a very faint click but I really can't tell where it's coming from.
It's getting late so I'm quitting for now. I'll check back in the morning for any other suggestions.

engiNURD

Fully [H]
no error beeps without ram nor vidcard? case speaker plugged in?

stonyc

Limp Gawd
Could be the ram, have you tried booting up without ram in the mobo? Do you get any kind of error beeps?

If it keeps rebooting after the Windows boot option menu (or whatever that screen is called) I'd vote for a corrupted OS.

I went through something similar a few weeks ago with a WinXP rig.

POST'ed okay but then always BSOD when trying to launch after the System Restore/Safe Mode/etc ...... followed by automatic reboot.

I installed a new HD along with a fresh OS just to be safe. Running great now. The suspected HD was fine BTW.

rage4order

Gawd
No error beeps. I'm pretty positive the speaker is plugged in but will double check. I haven't tried booting without the RAM, I guess I'll try that next. I don't even get the BSOD. After I select an option mode-ie. Safe Mode- it justs reboots.
I do have a spare hard drive that I'm not using, so after I check the speaker and RAM, I'll probably put that in and see what happens.

rage4order

Gawd
Ok, here's the latest update: I did check the speaker and yes, it is connected. I pulled the memory but pc wouldn't boot. I pulled the hard drive and put a spare one in that I had laying around and installed the OS onto it and all seems to be working fine. So, it appears that somehow, the OS got corrupted, just like you said above ^^ .

You may want to look into uninstalling Microsoft update KB977165. It appears many people are having BSOD issues after this update.