NASA's Future Mars Robot Will Take the Fastest Pictures Yet of the Red Planet

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
In 2020, NASA plans on launching an SUV sized rover to Mars that contains a total of 23 cameras. This number of cameras is larger than any other rover. What makes this one unique is its ability to take better pictures at a faster rate because it reduces the prep and processing time back on Earth. Once this monster rover gets to Mars we should learn even more about the red planet than we ever have before. Also, using these cameras we're going to get to see how the landing goes this time. Should really be cool.

It’s 23 cameras will outnumber Curiosity’s collection by six, Spirit’s and Opportunity’s each by 13, and Sojourner’s—the first rover—by 20. The eye upgrades, facilitated by advances in camera engineering, will give researchers a clearer look at Mars, sure, but they will also help save time and ease the grueling process of scheduling tasks on Mars from 33.9 million miles away.

Exercate

Limp Gawd
With that many eyes, they should quit calling these Rovers, and start using the them Spiders!

Last edited:

Rahh

[H]ard|Gawd
and any data it gets will be altered, changed, and modified before being sent to the public by NASA

daglesj

Supreme [H]ardness
Will they put a microphone on it? Yeah not much to hear but would be cool to try to hear a Martian wind blowing over the rover. Or the sound of it moving over the terrain. Sure the thin atmosphere will be a challenge but it's worth a try I'm sure.

BloodyIron

2[H]4U
Now that I think about it, how exactly do they transmit that level of data, over that much distance, without experiencing data loss or corruption? I bet there's plenty of times the data has to get resent.