My 12900K reaches 85°C during rendering at 22°C ambient temp.

kirbyrj

Fully [H]

pavel

Limp Gawd
Because a largish AIO cooler is able to dissipate more heat. It's not rocket science. Look at just about any 360mm AIO review. They generally perform 3-5C minimum better than an air cooler.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/arctic_liquid_freezer_ii_360_a_rgb_review,10.html

Not to mention you have any number of ways you can mount an AIO so as to pre-determine where the heat from your CPU goes rather than have it concentrated in one area.
But, I believe those two air coolers are as close to AIOs as they come? Gamers Nexus tested the Fuma 2, I believe. The performance was pretty good. I guess I am just nitpicking but the D15S is in that review - it's not too bad. I noticed the Dark Rock Pro 4 is in there, too - I'll be using it for a while but I initially wanted an AIO, myself - but getting it for free. Also, I dunno if all AIOs are created equal?: Some perform better than others and then there's the variance on fans the manufacturer chooses and pump noise - different mfr'ers of the pump etc.?

The other issue is the Arctic Liquid Freezer II performs at the top of most AIOs - but, the design of the rad is larger/thicker than most so you also have issues with fitting especially if you top-mount - there's youtube videos where reviewers talk about that - the room at the very top of the case and clearance with the top of the motherboard - has to be determined. I just mention this, because the current AIO performance is probably using the ALF II as 'the standard?'

kirbyrj

Fully [H]
But, I believe those two air coolers are as close to AIOs as they come? Gamers Nexus tested the Fuma 2, I believe. The performance was pretty good. I guess I am just nitpicking but the D15S is in that review - it's not too bad. I noticed the Dark Rock Pro 4 is in there, too - I'll be using it for a while but I initially wanted an AIO, myself - but getting it for free. Also, I dunno if all AIOs are created equal?: Some perform better than others and then there's the variance on fans the manufacturer chooses and pump noise - different mfr'ers of the pump etc.?

The other issue is the Arctic Liquid Freezer II performs at the top of most AIOs - but, the design of the rad is larger/thicker than most so you also have issues with fitting especially if you top-mount - there's youtube videos where reviewers talk about that - the room at the very top of the case and clearance with the top of the motherboard - has to be determined. I just mention this, because the current AIO performance is probably using the ALF II as 'the standard?'

Buy what works best for you. The D15S is a single fan version of the D15 though. The dual fan regular D15 will out perform it.

I'm not saying that an air cooler can't be good. I'm saying that a 360mm AIO will almost always out perform it even with a smaller radiator and weaker fans. I have no idea what you mean by "the standard" because you can go read any number of reviews about 360mm AIOs. Pick the one you're looking at and type "review" after it in a Google box. I have an EK Basic 360 AIO. At the time I bought it, it was $5 more expensive than the D15 Chromax Black, but I'm getting much better cooling for the money. I would guess in the 5-10C range, and I don't have to worry about it interfering with random VRM heatsinks on my Z690 board.

pavel

Limp Gawd
Buy what works best for you. The D15S is a single fan version of the D15 though. The dual fan regular D15 will out perform it.

I'm not saying that an air cooler can't be good. I'm saying that a 360mm AIO will almost always out perform it even with a smaller radiator and weaker fans. I have no idea what you mean by "the standard" because you can go read any number of reviews about 360mm AIOs. Pick the one you're looking at and type "review" after it in a Google box. I have an EK Basic 360 AIO. At the time I bought it, it was $5 more expensive than the D15 Chromax Black, but I'm getting much better cooling for the money. I would guess in the 5-10C range, and I don't have to worry about it interfering with random VRM heatsinks on my Z690 board.
I agree with you - as I have posted a bunch of times - I want to use an AIO but I over-extended my budget.... so, I have to use an air cooler I got for free. :)
I hope to use either a 280 or 360 AIO eventually - hopefully, soon. As you point out, the cooling is superior or at worst, no worse than the best air coolers. Yes, the D15S is with single fan - but, I suspect most users get an extra (Noctua) fan to use with it.
What board do you have? I managed to get a Tuf Gaming - and knock on wood, I hope it's okay (open box). The Asus Prime Z690-A you have is a really good board (both DDR4 and DDR5 versions) and has the VRM heatsink interference problem you speak of - so, you almost need an AIO if you really want the option of overclocking. I like the look of AIOs/CLCs so it probably wouldn't bother me - except, I'd have to find an additional $200 immediately if I bought that board. :)
Do you have any thoughts of 280 vs 360 AIO - some say the 280 is quieter. I believe my (eventual) case, P500A can fit either - but, I suspect a 360 might be the best option? At any rate, I hope to be debating which one soon.

havoc lingers

Weaksauce
With Alder lake, cooler factories should have upgrade and replenish their offer for air coolers. VRM heatsink interference with tower coolers shouldn't be an issue at all. I don't understand why there aren't new models to tackle this.

pavel

Limp Gawd
With Alder lake, cooler factories should have upgrade and replenish their offer for air coolers. VRM heatsink interference with tower coolers shouldn't be an issue at all. I don't understand why there aren't new models to tackle this.
Not sure, but, IIRC, it's only the Asus (Z690) Strix series that has the heat sink interference problem - and it's only with the fat air coolers - but, those happen to be the better air coolers - from Noctua, Be Quiet etc. I don't know if other motherboard brands/ (MSI, Asrock, Gigabyte etc.) have motherboard models that encounter the same interference issue.

GiGaBiTe

2[H]4U
I don't understand why there aren't new models to tackle this.

There are no models because it's exceedingly impractical. You need a comically large air cooler like the Noctua D15 with dual or triple fans, and that cooler will just barely be adequate under a nominal load. Forget overclocking or heavy boosting, not happening.

The 12900k has been shown to pull up to 330W heavily loaded on boards which ignore turbo boosting timeout guidelines.

The huge brick fin stack required to cool a monster like the 12900k gives little room for moving the fin stack around since it's such a tall cooler. Any taller and you won't be able to put the door on an average tower case.

OFaceSIG

2[H]4U
12900k has trouble being cooled by 360 AIOs. That's ridiculous. Modern day P4 but with actual performance to back it up lol

speedy206

n00b
12900k has trouble being cooled by 360 AIOs. That's ridiculous. Modern day P4 but with actual performance to back it up lol
That hasn't been my experience.

Only AiOs that don't mount properly are struggling to cool a 12900K. Also, there's a massive difference between the power draw of a 12900K running at Intel intended limits vs one that is overclocked and ignoring limits. My 12900K runs very cool (40-60℃) when ran at Intel's limits and while gaming and its 70-80℃ temps are very reasonable for 100% all core encoding.

With a Corsair H150i though, I was easily hitting 100℃ TJ max at the desktop under Intel limits which only means Corsair messed up since the AiO wasn't contacting the IHS completely.

Last edited:

speedy206

n00b
Just wanted to add that I've now worked on 4x different 12900K(S) systems and I think there are some bad Intel CPUs out there as well. I've seen 2 out of 4 CPUs thermal throttle and power throttle at stock speeds while the others can be overclocked with no throttling. I think this comes down to some CPUs having nearly defective cores that require so much voltage to run that they throttle at stock speeds. With that said, I don't think this affects most gamers because these nearly defective CPUs only seem to exhibit these problems when stressed on All Core workloads.

Last edited:

havoc lingers

Weaksauce
Just wanted to add that I've now worked on 4x different 12900K(S) systems and I think there are some bad Intel CPUs out there as well. I've seen 2 out of 4 CPUs thermal throttle and power throttle at stock speeds while the others can be overclocked with no throttling. I think this comes down to some CPUs having nearly defective cores that requires so much voltage to run that they throttle at stock speeds. With that said, I don't think this affects most gamers because these nearly defective CPUs only seem to exhibit these problems when stressed on All Core workloads.
Send to Intel these 2 to investigate.

speedy206

n00b
Send to Intel these 2 to investigate.
I did, but I don't think most customers have enough samples or do the stress testing to know this is happening. That's the bigger reason I raised this.
For anyone wondering, the two unstable CPUs were SP89 & SP87 while the stable ones were SP85 & SP94. I don't think that SP rating is entirely an indicator of whether an Alder Lake chip may be problematic.

Last edited:
I did, but I don't think most customers have enough samples or do the stress testing to know this is happening. That's the bigger reason I raised this.
For anyone wondering, the two unstable CPUs were SP89 & SP87 while the stable ones were SP85 & SP94. I don't think that SP rating is entirely an indicator of whether an Alder Lake chip may be problematic.

The SP rating is just based on the voltage/frequency curve. A common misconception is that a CPU core that needs less voltage is automatically superior to one that needs more. It is not necessarily true. Sometimes a core that gets by on lower voltage also has higher leakage, which means that it draws a fuck-ton of current and runs hot. If I had no other data to go by, then yeah, I would take the CPU with the higher SP rating because they do tend to be better, but I would much rather put the CPU fully though its paces before deciding if it's a good sample.

because a good 360 aio will out perform air...

Personally I'll never go back to an aio after using the D15. The pump in an aio is just one more thing that can go bad and it's a pain to deal with. Also I never have to worry about a leak occurring. Performance is on par with the best aios..

Back to the topic at hand. I've read these new Intel CPUs have had a problem with warping which can also cause temperature issues if the cpu partially loses contact with the cooler. Google it to find out more, doesn't sound good to me.

pendragon1

Extremely [H]
Personally I'll never go back to an aio after using the D15. The pump in an aio is just one more thing that can go bad and it's a pain to deal with. Also I never have to worry about a leak occurring. Performance is on par with the best aios..
ok.
it can, but ive never had one die before it was swapped out.
never had a leak either.
nope, 4-7.5c difference is not "on par"
1655336843723.png

ps: welcome to [H]! lots of new people today for some reason...

ok.
it can, but ive never had one die before it was swapped out.
never had a leak either.
nope, 4-7.5c difference is not "on par"
View attachment 483408

ps: welcome to [H]! lots of new people today for some reason...
Thanks for the welcome!

I guess it's subjective, imo they're close enough to be in the same ballpark. Yes the aio has better performance but 58 C is still fantastic temps for a cooler and I'm not into extreme overclocking, just moderate OC is fine for me. I guess it's a tradeoff between the hassle and slightly better performance, but personally if I wanted to do extreme overclocking then I'd spend the time on doing a custom loop at that point!

xfan10

Weaksauce
I run a d15 with both fans in a 12900 in a torrent compact case with the 2 180mm fans for intake. On a hot day with vray rendering it peaks at about 95c.

Options are to either under volt or just limit the power to 190w. Or use a renderer that’s gpu based. That’s what I ended up doing. Gpu is 10x faster and and barely touches the cpu so cpu temps are non issue. Vray, octane and redshift and even blender cycles have gpu rendering so you got options.