Muscle and Memory = Bad combination (pic)

elation

Gawd
Too much elbow grease on a stick of Patriot RAM (especially when reversed) can yield disastrous results. Probably best to keep away from the fins when installing as they're very fragile. It was a 2GB stick - DDR2. Oh well, live and learn. :(

6bcdacf0.jpg

elation

Gawd
Nah it was was my fault. I'll use it as a reminder - always use proper lighting and insert the correct way. :D Just glad I didn't damage my MB.

(cf)Eclipse

Freelance Overclocker
lol, looks like a candidate for baking... :)

I'm thinking the same thing. Take the chips off the heatsink, line them up verrry carefully on the pcb, put a heat gun to it and see if you can resolder those back on. Worst case, you're out some time and have a rather warm hand.

elation

Gawd
The stick is gone doc, it's gone!

R.I.P.

Haha. Probably so. Might as well doing some cooking though. I've got several video cards that I need to try this with as well.

I felt like such a goof when I realized what I did. If it was my first PC -- maybe I could have let it slide but I've been doing this for years! :eek:

plugwash

[H]ard|Gawd
Take a close look at the points on the PCB which the chips balls were ripped off from.

IF there is still metal there then it might be worth trying to bake it but if the metal is gone (as it looks like to me from the picture) it' a no-hoper, sorry.

elation

Gawd
:) I'm pretty good with an oven but not so good with a soldering iron. So I trashed it. I had pies to bake. So the mem ended up in file 13 instead of the oven. :D

mikeblas

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - May 2006
We all learn something on our first build -- hopefully, your subsequent builds will have less problems.

frenchie

Limp Gawd
Nice !! I mean Ouch !! The heatsink did a good job as a lever on those chips...

cyclone3d

[H]F Junkie
Godd to see that they are STILL using crappy double sided tape as the TIM. /sarcasm

pojut

Gawd
"Tons"? Then you've really made a fool of yourself.

--------------------------------------
... unless it's a farm.

I would just like to say the combination of that post and your sig make for good times.

Seriously good times.

munkle

[H]F Junkie
I remember I had some memory that gave me some errors so I thought I would try to use a heat gun just to see what it would do. I heated it up just fine and then I picked it up and turned it to the side and all the chips slid off. :p