MSI X570 Tomahawk review: possibly the best $200 X570

polonyc2

Fully [H]
AGESA 1.2.0.3b has been running perfect for me so I'm not in any hurry to upgrade to 1.2.0.7...I'll wait for the non-beta release and see if people are reporting any issues over the next few weeks

Domingo

Fully [H]
does 1.2.0.7 enable Secure Boot by default?

Yeah, it was on for me be default. fTPM was, too. They haven't been on by default for the other releases that I've tried. At first I wasn't sure if it actually saved my defaults from last time (those were the first two things I checked), but those were the only changes. I don't really mess with much on my end. I disable audio and the COM port, enable XMP, and set all of my fans to PWM.

CruisD64

2[H]4U
Just curious. Did this bios unlock voltage control for 5800X3D's by chance? I have no intention of overclocking, but rather undervolting without using software.

Domingo

Fully [H]
Anyone notice any changes between the beta and final, or did they just stop labeling it as a beta?

polonyc2

Fully [H]
is 1.2.0.7 the definitive BIOS for this motherboard?...I'm using 1.2.0.3b and everything is rock solid...I don't like upgrading BIOS versions unless it's really worth it

Domingo

Fully [H]
is 1.2.0.7 the definitive BIOS for this motherboard?...I'm using 1.2.0.3b and everything is rock solid...I don't like upgrading BIOS versions unless it's really worth it

I think so? Feels like after every major BIOS update some people claim that their performance went up or down. Most of it's probably placebo, but it could be related to RAM timings on occasion, too.
At the very least, the AGESA 1.2.0.7 update fixed issues I was having connecting my phone via USB. It also fixes that occasional millisecond hitch some folks were having on other AGESA versions.
I figure I'll install this update later (just in case it is slightly different than then beta) and then I probably won't bother with additional updates. At least unless they're designed to fix something major. The x570 is pretty long in the tooth, so you have to think that most BIOS-level issues have been squared away by this point.

Domingo

Fully [H]
No issues with the final version of the BIOS. It installed really, really quickly (it only took maybe 1 minute in total), leading me to believe it was identical to the beta one. I recall that one taking extra long to install.
It didn't retain any of my settings, though. I don't think I've ever had a BIOS update for this board retain my previous settings. Ditto with my saved settings. Might be an AMD/x570 thing as I've had Intel boards that did.

Puterguru

2[H]4U
Before I pull the trigger on buying this would you all say that it has been a great board?

Nebulous

[H]ard|Gawd
Before I pull the trigger on buying this would you all say that it has been a great board?
Well for me, personally, I love this board. I have zero issues with it and has been rock solid since day one. Best $200 I ever spent.

Domingo

Fully [H]

I don't have much experience with other x570 boards, but I've been happy with it compared to previous other boards I've owned. It has WiFi 6 and a terrific built-in Bluetooth receiver. I've had zero stability issues and XMP has worked fine with the vanilla Corsair 3600 RAM I bought. Plus, there are no weird sections of the board that are tough to access for cables and such. Unless a retailer is marking it up, the price is right, too.

polonyc2

Fully [H]

excellent X570 board in terms of price/performance...I love the layout and the Flash BIOS feature saved me a lot of hassle as I was able to flash the BIOS prior to installing the CPU in my system

techie81

[H]ard for [H]ardware
excellent X570 board in terms of price/performance...I love the layout and the Flash BIOS feature saved me a lot of hassle as I was able to flash the BIOS prior to installing the CPU in my system
This feature saved me sooo much time and energy. Love it.

Domingo

Fully [H]
For what it's worth, I don't know if I've ever read (or watched) anything negative about it. About the worst thing anyone ever has to say about it is that retailers are/were price gouging for it. Either that or MSI's other AMD boards full-on sucked and this is basically an apology for those...which is kind of a good thing.

Nebulous

[H]ard|Gawd
I wonder why they (MSI) keeps doing that? They put up a beta, then official. Next they remove the official, and put up another new beta.

Domingo

Fully [H]
I wonder why they (MSI) keeps doing that? They put up a beta, then official. Next they remove the official, and put up another new beta.

Yeah, it is awfully weird. I'm just going to keep rocking that last "final" BIOS indefinitely unless there's some kind of issue with it. My crashdumps folder is empty, performance is the same as ever, and I've seen no weird hitches or quirks,

Nebulous

[H]ard|Gawd
Yeah, it is awfully weird. I'm just going to keep rocking that last "final" BIOS indefinitely unless there's some kind of issue with it. My crashdumps folder is empty, performance is the same as ever, and I've seen no weird hitches or quirks,
Roger that. I'm also on the last official, but as a habit I did d/l the beta. Knowing MSI, they'll remove it once a new official rolls out. I've got a folder full of Bioses for this board.

Domingo

Fully [H]
Do they ever release any sort of change list for these BIOS updates? At least beyond the AGESA version and maybe one more minor detail (like the Secure Boot setting). I'm not expecting a full-on list of RAM types they've tweaked support for or anything, but they could at least get a little more granular. I'd love to know if any of these are ever worth installing or not.