Monster Sues Beats

HardOCP News

[H] News
Coming as a surprise to absolutely no one, Monster is suing Beats.

The audio tech company and its CEO, Noel Lee, say in the suit that he and Monster invented the technology behind the Beats By Dr. Dre headphones. The suit claims that Iovine and Dre (Andre Young) committed fraud in pirating the headphones away from Lee and Monster.

termite

Supreme [H]ardness
The're suing them for stealing the idea of selling overpriced mediocrity?

Stiletto

Supreme [H]ardness
So he suddenly thought of this AFTER Beats sold for billions?

Isn't this the same guy that wipes his ass with business ethics by selling cables for ungodly sums of money?

TwistedAegis

[H]F Junkie
They're just keeping with their business model, overpriced lawsuit between two overpriced consumer goods companies.

Ur_Mom

Fully [H]
Seems the Solo 2 is pretty good in it's class, although I bet no one here will admit it because even a shitty company can't make a good product once in a while. http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/time-rethink-beats-solo2-excellent

It's hard to judge, though. After you've heard several others of their headphones, you kind of stop looking at them. It takes a lot to get lost customers back to put faith in you. It may be a great pair of headphones, but it's going to take a lot to get people into accepting it. The name is tarnished. Look at Windows 8. If Microsoft were to release 10 as 8.2, it'd fail. The name Windows 8 is tarnished. People didn't like it, and judge it based on it's name. (I can mention other products, too, including Monster cables).

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
I don't understand why there are so little companies making full-sized Bluetooth headphones. I can only think of Beats and Samsung's Level Over. I would love to see Sennheiser take a stab at it.

Monster sues everyone, ever since they invented copper and silicon, they've been working hard to protect their copyrights.

I know, there's more to this case, it comes down to Monster being pissed that they didn't "win" a business deal.

D

Deleted member 12106

Monster is basically the 16 yr old brat who got the wrong color BMW for her birthday. They are just throwing another temper tantrum.

rat

Supreme [H]ardness
I'll never understand why people think this sort of crap is ever good when you can buy a pair of Shure studio monitors for half the price and get significantly better sound.

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
That's why they BOTH sound like shit? Got it.

spaceman

[H]F Junkie
Huh? What technology did he steal? They slapped a b on some overpriced closed headphones and called it a day.

Haters gonna hate I guess.

rudy

[H]F Junkie
haha, so the swindlers got swindled. How does it feel to get a bad deal monster? Guess what legally there is no law that says a dumb ass cannot lose money. No law that says you cannot sign a terrible contract. Sounds like they don't have a leg to stand on at all and all of this is just a publicity stunt, probably because they plan to try to get attention for their own headphones.

rat

Supreme [H]ardness
Huh? What technology did he steal? They slapped a b on some overpriced closed headphones and called it a day.

Haters gonna hate I guess.

In all seriousness, Monster designed and manufactured the original beats. Dre slapped his name on it after he set a shitty EQ profile to them and took credit for the product as a whole.

So it's two different fields of shite coming together to make one massive mound.

Dre and Lovine had branding but not manufacturing.

Skripka

[H]F Junkie
Could, somehow, both of these trash companies lose this suit and go out of business?

rudy

[H]F Junkie
I am pretty sure monster didn't manufacture anything either. Outsourcing junk to China is not manufacturing. Vizeo doesn't make TVs they just buy and sell them, apple doesn't make phones they buy and sell them no one at all cares and the law wont allow foxconn to tap into apples ludicrous profits. . If monster was so important they could have put any other rappers name on that crap and most of them would have jumped.

traycerb

Weaksauce
The linked gizmodo article from a couple of years back is a great read if anyone hasn't read it yet.

Dre and Lovine had branding but not manufacturing.

the branding is amazing, extending to all strata. i saw a not-wealthy-appearing high schooler buying a $300 pair of beats, and also read a new yorker article recently where the writer needed a pair of noise-cancelling headphones ASAP and looked for the first place that sold beats. no consideration of any other brand or functionality, etc.

Scythe

Gawd
The linked gizmodo article from a couple of years back is a great read if anyone hasn't read it yet.

the branding is amazing, extending to all strata. i saw a not-wealthy-appearing high schooler buying a $300 pair of beats, and also read a new yorker article recently where the writer needed a pair of noise-cancelling headphones ASAP and looked for the first place that sold beats. no consideration of any other brand or functionality, etc.

IMHO Bose makes the best noise cancelling headphones.

cnk

Limp Gawd
I don't understand why there are so little companies making full-sized Bluetooth headphones. I can only think of Beats and Samsung's Level Over. I would love to see Sennheiser take a stab at it.

Sony makes a set that I have and they sound a lot better than the Beats set that I got only because I had some AT&T gift cards to burn. Sennheiser did announce some BT headphones this week if I'm not mistaken.

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Wow, I was just looking at the Urbanites the other day and was wishing there was a wireless version. Now there are!

D

Deleted whining member 223597

FLECOM

Modder(ator) & [H]ardest Folder Evar
Staff member
why would you use Bluetooth audio on high end headphones? It's not full bandwidth audio

Semantics

2[H]4U
The're suing them for stealing the idea of selling overpriced mediocrity?
I think the suit is whether or not beats as a company ever held outright the patents to their own hardware. Which wasn't an issue when monster was original distributor was behind them. But ofc that didn't matter until beats got apple money ;)
Active noise cancelling, the best active noise cancelling headphones out there.

entropy13

Gawd
You can buy a lot of Beats headphones over here in the Philippines...albeit it's actually a letter d on the design. LOL. Roughly the same sound quality for a tenth of the price though. lol

Skripka

[H]F Junkie
why would you use Bluetooth audio on high end headphones? It's not full bandwidth audio

Because your customers are the idiot-demographic who only know about branding and style, not audio.

Skripka

[H]F Junkie
Because your customers are the idiot-demographic who only know about branding and style, not audio.

EDIT: that is you are competing for that demographic (where Beats rules and rakes in millions)

...damn lack of coffee and edit.

D

Deleted whining member 223597

Because if you do it right you don't lose much, if any quality. You don't use these headphones on your high end audio equipment at home to listen to your best quality tracks. These are meant to be used when you are moving around, whether it be walking in public or flying on a plane. A lot of people even use them for working out.

You guys should check out some reviews (innerfidelity) and then come back.

Spire3660

[H]ard|Gawd
I am pretty sure monster didn't manufacture anything either. Outsourcing junk to China is not manufacturing. Vizeo doesn't make TVs they just buy and sell them, apple doesn't make phones they buy and sell them no one at all cares and the law wont allow foxconn to tap into apples ludicrous profits. . If monster was so important they could have put any other rappers name on that crap and most of them would have jumped.

Hold on, Apple DESIGNS their product, and hires people to build it. So does AMD and every other fabless out there.

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
Yeah...

So they are suing Beats because they stole his idea for terrible sounding headphones???

Ur_Mom

Fully [H]

BOSE has some decent stuff. They get a bad rap for their shitty home audio stuff with jacked up prices and crap/great marketing (huge promises, little gains). There are much better products for lower cost. BOSE is like Apple, Monster, etc.. You're buying the name first. The product isn't necessarily great. But, they do have some good products (overpriced due to the name). Their headsets for aviation are good. Studio monitors are good. Their reputation is just tarnished due to their other, crap products with their name slapped on them.

The low end stuff at jacked up prices is for mass consumption. And if it sucks, they judge the entire line.

nightfly

2[H]4U
Don't care. While I was sort of amazed that people would pay so much for headphones just because Dre put his name on them, I remembered that Jordan Air sneakers were essentially the same thing. As is any other product that a celebrity endorses. Occasionally, it brings a product to the attention of the market which really is handy, such as the Foreman grills (even though there were such grills without his name out there before him, really no one bought them until he started lighting up the small screen with his big smiling mug). Beats became a hip brand name; something the ghetto crawlers were proud to show off just like their fancy sneakers. Monster is just another company trying to figure out a way to get some of the cash. After all, those headphones probably only cost about $2 to make. So Monster just wants a cut and figures out that any settlement is better than nothing. And they're right. They might not be in the right, but they're right in taking anything they can get. BTW I don't like either company. Both rip off the consumer with false promises.

N1GHTRA1N

Gawd

I agree to an extent. I have QC25 and they are great. I also have a pair of on-ear Sennheiser MM 450 which are very good too, but not quite as good as the QC25 but that might be partially because of the on-ear vs over ear. I love that the MM 450 have the option of being bluetooth or wired. Wired does sound better but not by a huge amount and having bluetooth for my PS Vita and other devices is awesome.

I have to say that the Sony MDR-1RNC rival the QC25, they are simply amazing and I was shocked at how good they were being a Sony product. Even the Sony MDR-10RNC did a very good job, not Bose level but good and offers great sound overall. So don't rule them out. I tried Beats Studios and found the noise cancelling to be very good too, similar to my Sennheiser's I mentioned before. If I was buying Beats it would be the Studios but I won't be buying Beats so it doesn't really matter.

Honestly in my mind the Sony MDR-1RNC is the best noise cancelling headphones you can buy. They are about $100 more than the QC25 and are pretty much better in every way. The QC25 might be slightly more comfortable as they weight a lot less and QC25 uses AAA batteries instead of a rechargable one. Other than that I think the MDR-1RNC looks better, sounds a lot better then not powered and has better build quality. You really can't go wrong with either. If I was paying for them myself I would have ponied up the extra $100 for the Sony's, no question. However I was able to get the QC25 with a great discount making the difference about $300 and it wasn't worth that.

I know this is completely off topic but there it is.