Looking for 40" 4K (PWM Free) display

I'm limiting myself to VA since I'll be using this primarily for content consumption, not creation. I need 4:4:4, no PWM, VA, and under $600.

**Important note, I would prefer the subpixel layout to be RGB. Heard of most wasabi mango models implementing BGR layout, have no idea why they would do such a thing.

what I learned so far from reading forums. The mango "u400" is likely flicker free, but uses BGR layout. The mango "uhd400" is RGB layout, but not flicker free like how it is advertised. So not getting either of these displays. Am I looking for a display over 40" that simply doesn't exist? All help is appreciated.

Okay. Well guess a large monitor simply doesn't have the basic needs that smaller smonitors give. No matter the price I pay either. Both the bdm4350uc and 4065uc have BGR subpixel layouts and heard this has a fuzzy/fringed effect on text and almost all Korean knock offs suffer the same. Guess I'll have to look at 32" 4K displays to truly have a real desktop experience.

BubbleBob

n00b
PocketMusic - You pretty much nailed my feelings on quest for finding display roughly 40" in size...

So far I've tried Philips 43" display, actually 2 units, both bad quality...

Other than that, I don't think Philips looks too bad on OS X, I mainly use windows 10 but tried to connect BDM4350 to Mac, and I think there was slight roughness/aliasing in fonts, if that is what I should have seen, but it really didn't bother me, formatted text documents and hires line art looked quite good despite of that.

IMO 32" 4K sounds no good, unless it's extreme sharpness that you are looking for, instead of surface area with decent resolution.

43" in desktop looks really sharp already, it's not blocky in anyway IMHO, it's a lot better than what you get with 30" 2560x resolution displays.

For the price I'm paying, I'd rather not deal with this issue. I mean does anyone even know why BGR layouts exist? What are they designed for exactly. No matter how much I google, there is no answer for this and feel like it's a joke being played on us, a really bad joke.

jthom127

n00b
For the price I'm paying, I'd rather not deal with this issue. I mean does anyone even know why BGR layouts exist? What are they designed for exactly. No matter how much I google, there is no answer for this and feel like it's a joke being played on us, a really bad joke.
Are you using Mac? I'm using the Zen U400 which has a BGR layout and do not notice any of this fuzzy or fringed effect on text on Windows 10. Everything looks just fine to me.

Are you using Mac?

Yes, I do use a Mac alongside my PC. I'm also buying an Xbox one S to stream my content, and doubt it will have the capability to render BGR. If I were just using PC my decision could be a lot easier, but heard even with clear type some software on Windows doesn't respect that and still renders RGB which is why I want to avoid this all together.

Skripka

[H]F Junkie

Part of the ClearType functionality is to select proper pixel layout. You can compensate and get it look right.

Part of the ClearType functionality is to select proper pixel layout. You can compensate and get it look right.
Owners of such displays report that even with it tuned to their liking, certain programs inside Windows don't respect or get effected by it. There is no way I want to deal with these issues. Seems like I have to get a smaller display which is fine. Wish there was a 40" monitor that could do all these things, but we don't live in a perfect world.

Skripka

[H]F Junkie
Owners of such displays report that even with it tuned to their liking, certain programs inside Windows don't respect or get effected by it. There is no way I want to deal with these issues. Seems like I have to get a smaller display which is fine. Wish there was a 40" monitor that could do all these things, but we don't live in a perfect world.

True. Windows font rendering and scaling is pretty much a haphazard crapshoot. Many programs at least let you compensate for it.

Personally, I love 32" 4K after scaling tweaking with WinAeroTweaker (free). 100-110DPI LCDs makes serif and pseudo-serif fonts looks like crap. Microsoft noticed this so much so they changed the default fontface in Office from Times New Roman. 138DPI looks much better if you're paying attention and put the effort in in setup.

True. Windows font rendering and scaling is pretty much a haphazard crapshoot. Many programs at least let you compensate for it.

Personally, I love 32" 4K after scaling tweaking with WinAeroTweaker (free). 100-110DPI LCDs makes serif and pseudo-serif fonts looks like crap. Microsoft noticed this so much so they changed the default fontface in Office from Times New Roman. 138DPI looks much better if you're paying attention and put the effort in in setup.
Oh cool, what 32" 4K monitor do you have?, I was looking into getting the HP spectre 4K monitor.

Skripka

[H]F Junkie
Oh cool, what 32" 4K monitor do you have?, I was looking into getting the HP spectre 4K monitor.

BenQ 3201PT courtesy of Amazon Prime. Came from an HP ZR30W. So 2560x1600 Adobe RGB with fairly hard anti glare, to 4K sRGB semi-gloss. Between higher resolution and much lighter AG I dig it.

Scaling is a tricky thing. Nice thing with WinAeroTweaker is you can completely change the actual fontsets Windows uses in W10....I hate Segoe, and own Hypatia Sans Pro ($250USD), which under 100DPI looks bad on LCD being pseudo-serif but under 138DPI looks pretty good. Settled on Windows 125% scaling (any higher and apps that don't scale right goes to pot), WinAeroTweaker to crank font sizes up natively. People can rant about Chrome and Google, but for the most part it has in-built font display tweaking as well as webpage zooming which results in very usable websites. Took me 2 hours of playing to get scaling/rendering working well 99% of the time. Some things are a bit chunky (Civ5 new-game faction summary doesn't scale right, but the rest of the game does), but they are few.

With any large-class monitor you play a panel lottery. Nature of the business. Mine came without noticeable bleed or brightness/tinting variation and no dead/stuck pixels.

What gives me pause of the HP....it has a genuinely crappy non-adjustable stand.

HP Spectre 32 Review: Almost-Glossy 4k 8 Bit +FRC AHVA - Page 2

Other side of it to bear in mind is that there is no perfect LCD panel. There are some present and former users of BenQ on H....many BenQ users switch to 40"+ because they can't get Windows scaling and font rendering right (their problem), or because of wanting a glossy panel....which as a long-time user of large-class PC monitors, glossy is its own headache. Makes for reflections and glare in anything than a pitch-black room with the panel angled just perfectly.

BenQ 3201PT courtesy of Amazon Prime. Came from an HP ZR30W. So 2560x1600 Adobe RGB with fairly hard anti glare, to 4K sRGB semi-gloss. Between higher resolution and much lighter AG I dig it.

Scaling is a tricky thing. Nice thing with WinAeroTweaker is you can completely change the actual fontsets Windows uses in W10....I hate Segoe, and own Hypatia Sans Pro ($250USD), which under 100DPI looks bad on LCD being pseudo-serif but under 138DPI looks pretty good. Settled on Windows 125% scaling (any higher and apps that don't scale right goes to pot), WinAeroTweaker to crank font sizes up natively. People can rant about Chrome and Google, but for the most part it has in-built font display tweaking as well as webpage zooming which results in very usable websites. Took me 2 hours of playing to get scaling/rendering working well 99% of the time. Some things are a bit chunky (Civ5 new-game faction summary doesn't scale right, but the rest of the game does), but they are few.

With any large-class monitor you play a panel lottery. Nature of the business. Mine came without noticeable bleed or brightness/tinting variation and no dead/stuck pixels.

What gives me pause of the HP....it has a genuinely crappy non-adjustable stand.

HP Spectre 32 Review: Almost-Glossy 4k 8 Bit +FRC AHVA - Page 2

Other side of it to bear in mind is that there is no perfect LCD panel. There are some present and former users of BenQ on H....many BenQ users switch to 40"+ because they can't get Windows scaling and font rendering right (their problem), or because of wanting a glossy panel....which as a long-time user of large-class PC monitors, glossy is its own headache. Makes for reflections and glare in anything than a pitch-black room with the panel angled just perfectly.
I'll keep this in mind, glossy will be okay in my studio since it is a dark room. The benq you mention looks very good too in its own ways. Something I didn't take into consideration was the fact that all 32" 4K panels are AHVA (IPS type), which is a bit worrying since originally I had the idea of getting a high contrast VA, because my dark room will exaggerate the glow present on this.