Lian Li PC-73SLB Build.


Feb 19, 2005
This case is the first case I got back when I was 14, and it's a little bit worn, but I'm not giving up on it yet.

Current plans are custom loop watercooling with a 480mm radiator on the top and bottom, glass window on the sidepanel, and painting the inside. Anyway, let's start out with the past of the case.

It started out with a 3.0 Ghz p4 Prescott on an A-bit IC7-G with 1gb ram, a Ti4600, a single SATA 160gb drive, and a 480 watt Powermax Demon PSU.

About a year ago, I rebuilt back into it after using a PC-A05B for 7 years. The system is currently a i7 3770k with a TRUE, 16gb of ram, a 500gb sata ssd, and a 1070 on a Corsair 520HX. On air I'm able to get a stable 4.9Ghz, and 2113Mhz on the 1070. I started modding the case by chopping up the case to fit a 120mm in the rear, removing drive cages, and upgrading the front USB ports to USB 3.0:

I ran it like that for about a year before I managed to score a deal on some scratch and dent 480mm radiators, with VERY minor damage.

This motivated me to start transforming the case into what I hoped it would be when I bought it back in 2003. First off, I went to a glass shop to get a piece of glass cut for the side panel. After taping over the side panel, I traced the pattern, and cut the hole out with a jigsaw to the best of my ability(no pressure, LianLi never even made replacement panels for this case).

Then, I had to trim back some of the sound insulation to allow a decent bit of an attachment surface.

Add silicone, some Weight, and let it sit for a day or so.

And finally, we have a window. The cut isn't perfect, but it's not too bad for my first aluminum cut with a jigsaw.

Now, onto the Radiator Mounting. I started out with a lazy attempt at cutting the radiator hole in the bottom

It fits, but it can use some work

I then went on cutting the hole in the top for the other radiator.

Then the top Came off, and I cut down the 5.25" drive bays to give the water lines and radiator some room. I'm not too proud of my cut on the backside, but I'm thinking of getting some plexi sheets to create false walls.

Next up, Paint.
After pulling the top panel, and some cleaning, It was time for Self-Etching primer.

Most of the blue paint I could find wasn't quite what I was looking for, so after 6 different stores, I managed to find an automotive blue that I liked. So it was time to start laying that on.

Next up was the black for the outside.

I'm pretty happy with the result, Now I just need to wait for it to dry, then start putting it back together.
Well, I riveted back on the top panel, and wheels while the drive cage and PSU panel finished drying.

Then I finally mounted the bottom radiator and prepared mounting for the pump in the front.

Plumbing came next, and it turns out the D5 I planned to use had a worn bearing.

Thankfully, My friend had a spare laying around that I stuck in, and the system is was ready to bleed out.

I'm probably not going to touch the loop for a few days while it bleeds and leak tests. Regardless, I couldn't resist sticking in a few cathodes to see how she looked.
Life has been busy, so these updates are being posted well after they've happened.

After a few days of leak testing, It was time to start putting hardware back in.

I'm pretty happy with the finished result of the mod, It's got it's marks of my inexperience, but I'm ok with that.

And then It was off to the first LAN party, and it held up just find with the 300 mile drive each way.
I love the modernizing of old cases! This now has some massive cooling power. Nice work!