LG UltraGear 48GQ900 48" 4K 138Hz OLED

JTCPingas

Weaksauce
https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-48gq900-b

EDIT: It's now available to buy on LG's website. I would be a brave soul to buy one and test it out, but money is important right now for me.

I couldn't find any threads of this OLED display yet other than the 48CX thread that already exists. If a separate thread is not suitable, I can remove it.

Even if it is an inferior value and product to a C2 OLED TV, I would be very hesitant to buy until it's reviewed by rtings or Tim from Hardware Unboxed. The matte coating is especially something I would need to see in person in order to properly judge how it looks on an OLED.

Last edited:

kasakka

2[H]4U
Too little too late. Had this come out around the same time as the CX/C1 it would have been nice but now, why would you buy this over the 42" C2?

JTCPingas

Weaksauce

I found this video that is apparently the LG 48GQ900. That is definitely a matte coating. Who on earth is asking for matte screens on an OLED? I certainly am not.

SoCali

[H]ard|Gawd
The 42" C2 outputs at 137/138hz and no higher when I make a custom res but frame skips. Really wish someone who knows timings could mess with it and see if its really possible.

JTCPingas

Weaksauce
138Hz seems awfully specific, but probably the highest these panels can be realistically pushed at the moment.

l88bastard

2[H]4U
It's gonna come along with the matte coating.

what-eww.gif

JTCPingas

Weaksauce
Absolutely no one:
LG: You know what 48" OLED panels need? A matte anti glare coating because g*mers know best.

Nobody asked for this. And yet because I'm stubborn, I'll probably end up getting one out of morbid curiosity.

Tol

Limp Gawd
Any reason 3 of these wouldn’t run with all features enabled off a 30 series card? 3 x 4k, 120Hz, VRR, HDR?

Or do I just hold out hope for a 40 series with 3 x hdmi 2.1?

kasakka

2[H]4U

Unsurprisingly another display that pushes its controller to the max and then has some issues with it. For me dropping to 8-bit 138 Hz vs just running the display always at 4K 120 Hz 10-bit is one of those things where switching for slightly higher refresh rate is just not worth it.

The matte coating doesn't seem too bad but at the same time glossy on my CX 48" was never an issue for me, I could control its reflections well enough.

Going forward the Displayport connection won't be an advantage either as more GPUs will have HDMI 2.1.

I do kinda like that more old school remote over the one on my C9/CX.

JohnnyFlash

Weaksauce
Absolutely no one:
LG: You know what 48" OLED panels need? A matte anti glare coating because g*mers know best.

Nobody asked for this. And yet because I'm stubborn, I'll probably end up getting one out of morbid curiosity.
I can't image why someone would want a glossy screen for desktop use. Especially one this size.

Enhanced Interrogator

[H]ard|Gawd
Unsurprisingly another display that pushes its controller to the max and then has some issues with it. For me dropping to 8-bit 138 Hz vs just running the display always at 4K 120 Hz 10-bit is one of those things where switching for slightly higher refresh rate is just not worth it.

It's totally worth it for most games, since most games don't support HDR and are 8-bit only

SoCali

[H]ard|Gawd
Man all these monitors using LG OLED panels are so dim compared to the TV's.

JohnnyFlash

Weaksauce
It's nice if you have a darker room that doesn't have direct sunlight.
OK, that's fair.

I guess what I'm asking is how PC users could not understand how there is demand for a matte screen from us hybrid gamers. I tested a C2 for a weekend last month and all I could see was myself, the whole time. Which then makes you turn up brightness, which then accelerates burn in.

kasakka

2[H]4U
OK, that's fair.

I guess what I'm asking is how PC users could not understand how there is demand for a matte screen from us hybrid gamers. I tested a C2 for a weekend last month and all I could see was myself, the whole time. Which then makes you turn up brightness, which then accelerates burn in.
A matte coating basically just blurs the reflections. On my matte screen 28" IPS display with what I consider a fairly good coating, using it on a very sunny day without having blinds closed is just not happening even with the sun coming in from the side.

In some situations matte coating could even be worse because it can spread out a strong light source hitting a screen. So it's always a tradeoff and the best way is to control for the position and amount of light. For me the LG CX 48" worked just fine because I was able to put it in a position where there is no strong light source hitting it. I could see a reflection of myself but it did not cause any noticeable issue even at 120 nits brightness on the display.