Large capacity SSD for gaming, does speed really matter?

Slade

2[H]4U
My 4TB NVME which is supposed to be significantly faster than my Samsung 850 SSD did zilch for load times. Benchmarks for file transfers show a marked improvement but in real usage such as gaming, it's not designed to take advantage of nvme speeds yet.

Shadowarez

Gawd
found my optane 900p-905p seem to work better in the low que depths for testing. made huge difference when i dedicated those to hosting the game servers.

Opus131

Limp Gawd
Before buying the drive i think i'm going to give this primocache thing a go, but i have a question. My 7200 RPM spinner is not used just for games but i also use it to dump all my downloads, torrents etc. Are those going to get cached too? In fact, what if install windows on the spinner?

Right now i have windows and linux in dual boot on a 512GB SSD. I guess i can move Linux on the 256GB SSD and use the 512 for cache on the spinner, install Windows on the latter and all my games and everything else besides. How would that work? I also assume that's going to kill the SSD faster than i'd like.

Last edited:

TheSlySyl

[H]ard|Gawd
Before buying the drive i think i'm going to give this primocache thing a go, but i have a question. My 7200 RPM spinner is not used just for games but i also use it to dump all my downloads, torrents etc. Are those going to get cached too? In fact, what if install windows on the spinner?

Right now i have windows and linux in dual boot on a 512GB SSD. I guess i can move Linux on the 256GB SSD and use the 512 for cache on the spinner, install Windows on the latter and all my games and everything else besides. How would that work? I also assume that's going to kill the SSD faster than i'd like.
Primocache has absolutely nothing to do with a windows install. But you do cache a whole partition. If you only want to cache a certain part of the drive, (or only use part of a drive as cache) you'd need to seperate it into different partitions prior to creating the cache.

You can, however, destroy and create caches as much as you want with primocache. It's not permanent at all. Which is why the free trial is so awesome.

ZodaEX

2[H]4U
Primocache is a placebo. It's cpu usage is too high to outweigh it's benefits.

ZodaEX

2[H]4U
...what CPU usage? It uses so little CPU that it doesn't even register as something that's using CPU.
I also have multiple YEARS of data about how its absolutely not a placebo.

On my computer it slowed down Windows explorer when handling lots of files and reduced my adverage franerate in GTAV by 8 fps.

Opus131

Limp Gawd
This program has been out for years shouldn't all this be fully established already?

TheSlySyl

[H]ard|Gawd
On my computer it slowed down Windows explorer when handling lots of files and reduced my adverage franerate in GTAV by 8 fps.
I think you used it wrong. 🤷‍♂️

Never seen anything like that.

The latest version now causes random error messages.
I also have never seen anything like this, but I'm pretty sure the two events are related. I have 4 caches spreading over 10 different drives and literally none of the symptoms you're discussing.

Even back on my Phenom 2 I didn't get any issues with CPU usage.

Do you have some excessive level of defer-write enabled on a volatile drive or something?
Never use defer-write on a drive with anything important.

Opus131

Limp Gawd
Well, i think i'll go for the 2TB and play around PrimoCache afterwards, probably getting a 4TB 7200 RPM spinner and plug my older SSD as a cache to that.

Thinking of picking up that Mushkin Pilot-E as it seems to be the cheapest NMVe drive where they didn't switch the TLC part without telling anybody, that i can see from google anyway. 57 euros more than an MX500. Feels like it's worth it even the difference isn't that big for gaming.

Question: would it be a good idea to get an heatsink for this? I don't really like the placement of the NMVe of my motherboard though (MSI B450 Gaming Carbon Pro AC). It's stuck between the GPU slot and the CPU one. I have the Red Devil verion of the 5700 XT and that thing gets obscenely hot when i play, so much so i can feel the heat coming out of the PC case just by putting my hand on it. I have a feeling it might overheat any SSD i stick in there. I'm looking at the slot right now and it's like half an inch away from the GPU backplate.

ZodaEX

2[H]4U
Well, i think i'll go for the 2TB and play around PrimoCache afterwards, probably getting a 4TB 7200 RPM spinner and plug my older SSD as a cache to that.

Thinking of picking up that Mushkin Pilot-E as it seems to be the cheapest NMVe drive where they didn't switch the TLC part without telling anybody, that i can see from google anyway. 57 euros more than an MX500. Feels like it's worth it even the difference isn't that big for gaming.

Question: would it be a good idea to get an heatsink for this? I don't really like the placement of the NMVe of my motherboard though (MSI B450 Gaming Carbon Pro AC). It's stuck between the GPU slot and the CPU one. I have the Red Devil verion of the 5700 XT and that thing gets obscenely hot when i play, so much so i can feel the heat coming out of the PC case just by putting my hand on it. I have a feeling it might overheat any SSD i stick in there. I'm looking at the slot right now and it's like half an inch away from the GPU backplate.

Doesn't your motherboard have more than one m.2 slot?

ZodaEX

2[H]4U
You could get a pci-e to m.2 adapter for it. That's what I did since my motherboard doesn't have a m.2 slot.

Opus131

Limp Gawd
I suppose that's true. I'll get the disk first, then do some test copying files on it with a GPU stress program turned on and see what CrystalInfo tells me. If it gets too hot i guess i'll definitely have to get a pci-e adapter, maybe even an heatsink all though i'm getting conflicting opinions how much those actually help.

TheSlySyl

[H]ard|Gawd
If you're really worried about nvme temps. NVME heatsinks are dirt cheap. Something like these $4 ones is more than good enough for any Gen 3 NVME.
https://smile.amazon.com/Aluminum-H...keywords=nvme+heatsink&qid=1627541997&sr=8-46
(This is a generic brand name, i've seen the same heatsinks under a hundred different names, just find ones that look like em and at the cheapest price. )

Or if you want a cheap PCI-E 4x to M.2:
https://smile.amazon.com/RIITOP-PCI...keywords=nvme+heatsink&qid=1627542145&sr=8-51

I've been using one of these for years with multiple nvme drives and have never had any issues.

Opus131

Limp Gawd
Well, just ordered the Pilot-E. Let's see how this goes. Will report after checking if my Red Devil is going to torch the damn thing.

Last edited:

Opus131

Limp Gawd
Well, running it now, i'm downloading a steam game with a GPU stress test on it's sitting at 37 degrees. Apparently my motherboard already had an heatsink included. I thought it was just an aesthetic cover but when i pulled it up i saw a thermal strip underneath it. I guess despite being one inch from the GPU it's not picking up the heat form it. I suppose i'll know once i start playing some games for a few hours.

I won't bother running a stress test on the SSD as i don't think i'll ever come across a case in real life where the drive is going to be put through that.

Shadowarez

Gawd
iv used primo cache and given the pro keys with every build because it has been such an amazing tool for speeding up even the slowest hdds, iv even tested against dram-less ssds and negated the sht stain qlc downfalls, so primo cache is a invaluable tool. i have to date bought 32 pro licenses as i trust in this program.

Hallyday

Limp Gawd
found my optane 900p-905p seem to work better in the low que depths for testing. made huge difference when i dedicated those to hosting the game servers.

Game hosting is a specific use case though, the games I play at this time and age can't even have users host the servers. Old games like HL2 don't require an Optane. On top of that, Optane is at its worst right now. It's no longer being produced, with COVID and economy inflations, prices sky shot, no longer gets firmware updates... etc etc. You have to be out of your mind to buy one for any logical modern era gaming purposes. The 4.0 drives already come close in 4k when Malwarebytes wimps the 4k speeds with its ransomware protection, and they offer A LOT more value per gb.

Opus131

Limp Gawd
So i did some tests, and so far the worst the drive got is 45 degrees. It sits at 35 degrees when both the GPU and the drive are idle.

I guess it's not a big deal to have the furnace, i mean, my GPU next to the drive slot.

Shadowarez

Gawd
got the sabrent heatsinks coming in for my m.2 even though the drives i got come with a thick copper tape. i havent seen these drives hit 40c under heaver load.

TheSlySyl

[H]ard|Gawd
My WD SN850 (one of the PCI-E Gen 4 7500mbps types) can hit 60c in the most ridiculous situations, but you need to hit it at load as well as hitting the videocard at load simultaneously for it to happen. These situations do occur, but its rare.

1629004729936.png

My Gen 3 drives don't get anywhere near as hot.

1629004800219.png

I will note that the ambient temp on that particular day, 6/11 was probably over 95'f (so, 35'c) and I annoyingly had a particularly long transcoding job happening simultaneously. I stayed out of the office that day.

When the temperature outside isn't actively trying to kill me, the PCI-E Gen 3 drives normally max out around 42c and my older Gen 4 drive (Corsair MP600) hits around 48c. Almost all temp spikes have to do with my 1080Ti just blowing hot crazy hot ass air all over the heatsinks. There's more temp increase from running my GPU than there is stressing out the SSD.

I haven't had the SN850 long enough for a normal operation sample size outside of the summer of death(tm),

Smoblikat

Limp Gawd
My WD SN850 (one of the PCI-E Gen 4 7500mbps types) can hit 60c in the most ridiculous situations, but you need to hit it at load as well as hitting the videocard at load simultaneously for it to happen. These situations do occur, but its rare.

View attachment 384844

My Gen 3 drives don't get anywhere near as hot.

View attachment 384847

I will note that the ambient temp on that particular day, 6/11 was probably over 95'f (so, 35'c) and I annoyingly had a particularly long transcoding job happening simultaneously. I stayed out of the office that day.

When the temperature outside isn't actively trying to kill me, the PCI-E Gen 3 drives normally max out around 42c and my older Gen 4 drive (Corsair MP600) hits around 48c. Almost all temp spikes have to do with my 1080Ti just blowing hot crazy hot ass air all over the heatsinks. There's more temp increase from running my GPU than there is stressing out the SSD.

I haven't had the SN850 long enough for a normal operation sample size outside of the summer of death(tm),

Ive noticed that as well, where the GPU running has way more of an effect on NVMe temps than actual disk load does. My 980 Pro seems to run under 40C even in the summer with the AC off, but as soon as I load up a game like Ark, even with the AC on the drive goes well over 50C for the duration of play.

Opus131

Limp Gawd
Currently downloading games on steam, disk is at 50 degrees, GPU is in idle.

Of course, today is pretty damn hot. Still pondering if to get an heatsink or not.

[EDIT] Opps forgot that i'm converting a file in handbreak so this time it is the CPU that is at max temp. So there you go, being so close to a source of heat actually does make a difference.

Motherboard manufacturers should start thinking about putting the slot somewhere else.

Last edited: