jitter on lan when game running in background

chrcoluk

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok I got a quad core i5 750 and pci-e intel pro CT.

It seems when I leave a game running in a window (is an old game, final fantasy 7) although the cpu is nowhere near full load in fact barely quarter load I am getting jitter on my lan traffic. Took me a while to diagnose as I didnt think that would be cause. It happens whether hardware offload is on or off on the card. This also didnt happen with the same network card in my core2duo machine, so even tho that had less power it didnt have a problem with this usage.

Is this a possibility of a saturated DMI channel on the P55 chipset, sending data for the game at same time as nic data? or probably something else?

chrcoluk

[H]ard|Gawd
yep its varying.

some as high as 30ms, it will mainly be normal but 2 or 3 times a minute it spikes and some times for many pings in a row, other times just 1 ping.

Matt Welke

Limp Gawd
30ms isn't terribly bad.

I just did a quick test though where I have to hop over two wires, through a switch, and two wireless links to get to my primary router, and it returned 1ms consistently so I suppose you could use some improvement.

I use DD-WRT on all my routers and never anything lower than cat5e. Also, my ethernet cables are 5ft at the longest. Wireless G mode only (no wireless B). I'd start by shortening cables if that applies, and upgrading firmware to whatever is best suited to your router(s). If they're WRT's then use DD-WRT.

chrcoluk

[H]ard|Gawd
its not cable related, its obviously something getting saturated on my system when the game is running (which is an offline game doesnt use any network traffic).

but for info the cable is cat6 and the lan is gigabit.

I was pinging the same erouter from my laptop at the same time which had no spikes.

when the game is off its constant 1ms.

chrcoluk

[H]ard|Gawd
intel pro 1000 CT pci-e
I plan to test my onboard nic after I next reboot (needs enabling in bios)

Valnar

2[H]4U
Interesting. It would be surprising if the onboard NIC performed better. If it does, I'd say an Intel driver update (or retrograde) might be in order.

jadams

2[H]4U
so the ping time is varying? in what form is this jitter?

He obviously doesnt know what jitter really is, hes using it as a general non-technical description. Instead of the typical [H] ridicule, why not explain what jitter really is?

AMD_Gamer

Fully [H]
He obviously doesnt know what jitter really is, hes using it as a general non-technical description. Instead of the typical [H] ridicule, why not explain what jitter really is?

He never made it clear in what form he was experience jitter. I thought it was jitter on his connection or his OS/windows was acting funny.

chrcoluk

[H]ard|Gawd
the onboard lan doesnt have the issue, so looked into it again and I missed that all the onboard processing of packets was turned off for udp packets, which caused the jitter on pings when pc under cpu load.