If Larrabee was being fabbed today...

Wat

Limp Gawd
How many pentium cores could it fit on a piece of silicon?

Would a Larrabee design make more sense now that the process node advances are slowing down? Seems that it could perform better in a chiplet scenario versus some of the other designs..?

Just wonderin

enzolt

[H]ard|Gawd
The Larrabee design didnt fail because of process node though.

It was because of targeting/function. Larrabee was not a GPU. It was a vector processor made to do visual processing.
It didn't have the fixed function logic found in a typical GPU. Buffering, clipping, and blending were all in software.

cdabc123

2[H]4U
I have ran many of the successor to the larrabee chips (the Intel knights corner phi 7210s) they were actually surprisingly capable for many x86 workloads. Specifically anything highly parallel that could take advantage of the 16gb of mcdram on the chip.

It is possible to do the same now with a bunch of chips on a modern lithography and a decent memory/cache solution. There arnt to many workloads that would benefit to much form it though. Modern epyc cpus work pretty well for the same applications due to the higher multithread performance and a large L3.

Last edited:

cdoublejj

Gawd
I have ran many of the predecessors to the larrabee chips (the Intel knights corner phi 7210s) they were actually surprisingly capable for many x86 workloads. Specifically anything highly parallel that could take advantage of the 16gb of mcdram on the chip.

It is possible to do the same now with a bunch of chips on a modern lithography and a decent memory/cache solution. There arnt to many workloads that would benefit to much form it though. Modern epyc cpus work pretty well for the same applications due to the higher multithread performance and a large L3.
sounds like a custom programming gig or enterprise systems engineering gig.

cdabc123

2[H]4U
sounds like a custom programming gig or enterprise systems engineering gig.
I get alot of interest in them for custom programming solutions for research. Honestly they are nice if your willing to put in the work to optimize and run something on them. However at this point a epyc rig would win at most things (for quite abit more money)

Red Falcon

[H]F Junkie
Xeon Phi units were the successor to Larrabee, not the predecessor.
We know how they turned out since the Xeon Phi units when EOL in 2019 and all orders from Intel for them have since ceased.

cdabc123

2[H]4U
Xeon Phi units were the successor to Larrabee, not the predecessor.
We know how they turned out since the Xeon Phi units when EOL in 2019 and all orders from Intel for them have since ceased.
Correct I mistyped. They really weren't bad processors but have been passed in performance by modern epyc and xeon cpus for most workloads.