How is HP As a Company...

ShredderFan

Limp Gawd
At work, we have it as a requirement with Dell Buisniess service to have support state side, and not outsourced overseas... but that should not be something extra you buy.

How is HP as a company as far as support goes? The only thing I would need them for, is if the motherboard dies, as I can replace everything else myself or RMA it if needed...but it's nice to know it's there.

After the headaches with this system build, I'd rather avoid it when replacing the old Pentium 4 shore machine. Gads, it really does seem slower after you upgrade, where as before it was perfectly fine, doesn't it?

I was hoping that by the time I re-saved up for this one, the price on this model...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16883107230 , would have come down even more.

Does anyone see a speed decrease when watching HD with a Duo Core 2.13, or is it worth getting another 2.4 GHZ system?

Edit -
If I didn't get that system, this would most likley be the one I do get. Can one upgrade a proccessor on HP machines easilly, along with memory if needed?

Operating System Genuine Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
edit

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo processor E6400 (2.13GHz)
edit

Memory 1GB DDR2-533MHz dual channel SDRAM (2x512)
edit

Hard Drive 250GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive
edit

Primary CD/DVD Drive LightScribe 16X DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti drive
edit

Secondary CD/DVD Drive HD DVD-ROM for high definition movies
edit

Front Productivity Ports 15-in-1 memory card reader, 2 USB, 1394, video
edit

Networking No Modem
edit

TV & Entertainment Experience Single NTSC TV tuner with PVR, FM tuner, remote
edit

Graphics Card 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT, HD , TV-out, 2 DVI
edit

Sound Card Integrated 7.1 channel sound w/front audio ports
edit

Keyboard and Mouse HP Keyboard, HP Scroller Mouse
edit

Productivity Software Microsoft(R) Works 8.0/Money 2006/MSN Encarta Plus
edit

Security Software Norton Internet Security(TM) 2007 - 15 Months
edit

Jason_Wall

[H] Consumer Managing Editor
HP has the worst support we have seen from the Tier I's.

Gateway is totally North America-based, if that's important to you.

ShredderFan

Limp Gawd
I don't care if it's North American Based (Although that is a plus...), but from what I have learned, the outsourced support is usually the type that just goes through the basics. They don't have any real answers and it just causes more headaches.

What's nice about going with a pre-built machine is that usually the PC can just be replaced if something is wrong with it, if going with the right company.

I know almost nothing about Gateway....

ShredderFan

Limp Gawd
Hmm, the Gateway is a better deal for the less time that I'll be using this thing compared to the one up north. I could always replace the NVidia Card with an ATI one if the HD performance is not that great...

For anyone who has used Gateway, are you generally happy with their performance as a company?

Also,

Gateway FPD2485W . How does this compare to the Dell 24"? It has the same features, mentions that it is HDCP compliant....and costs a full hundred or so less than the Dell version....

TheDro

Weaksauce
ShredderFan said:
For anyone who has used Gateway, are you generally happy with their performance as a company?

I've owned 2 Gateways, the first being a PII 450MHz, and the 2nd being a P4 2.2GHz w/ Rambus.

The only things I've replaced on the 1st one was the CD-rom, and added a HDD, and that was it. No problems with that computer other than Windows 98 crashing all the time.

Second one is a good machine, I've replaced the PSU though since the OEM's 91mm fan's bearing was failing, but couldn't find the same fan anywhere, so I just replaced the whole PSU instead. Only upgrades I did was a better GPU, and the only problem with that computer was the PSU, and the HDD. The HDD is a WD but it's whining really loud and sometimes will click, but that computer has been through alot of moves.

Also the monitors that came with both computers still work, the 1st one came with a 17" CRT that was manufactured in 98' and is still in use, no burn in whatsoever either. The 2nd computer's monitor is a 18" LCD which I'm still using with my couple month old built by-myself PC, and the LCD was manufactured in 2001.

Oh and the LCD only has 1 stuck green pixel only visible on black backgrounds which I discovered a few weeks ago after I found one on my new LCD TV and learned about stuck pixels.

As far as being happy with Gateway's performance as a company, yeah I am, and I'm impressed with the durability of their products, and I never had any serious problems with both computers.

sowingseason

Limp Gawd
dude i switched out my HP motherboard to put in a dfi cfx3200-dr and the windows mce that came with it said i needed a new cd key. so i call them up and they say that it only supports the motherboard that came with it. SO i had to switch out the motherboard again and sell the cfx3200 :( lol

Jason_Wall

[H] Consumer Managing Editor
http://consumer.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTIzNiw2LCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

On Gateway displays, I've always found them to be EXTREMELY impressive. I use a dual Gateway display setup at home, and it's great. I'm not sure I feel comfortable comparing Dell and Gateway displays as I've never seen one of each side by side, but you definitely won't be disappointed with Gateway.

Gateway = North American support = no outsourcing, at least not non-native English support.

Puterplay

n00b
If you go to the "DISPLAY" category and look under the thread Gateway FPD2485W you will see comparisons. I have the above Gateway monitor and am very pleased with it!
Lots of reading...both sides have Pros and Cons.

Cliff Couser

[H]ard|Gawd
interesting....I was just about to head down CC and pick up a Compaq for the folks.

May as well try the Gateway.

Strictly Anecdotal. DELL is a client of the company I work for, so is HP and Lenovo. We use DELL exclusively in all our global offices.....however, I don't know many people in our company who own a DELL in their homes. :D