how bad is a i7 3820?

idk what to say

Weaksauce
so how bad is a i7 3820? theres a deal on facebook marketplace for a the i7 3820 with a mobo for $40 currently im trying to build a budget build so is it that bad? i mean it kinda compares to and i3 8th gen but takes way more electricity.

should i buy it?

GotNoRice

[H]F Junkie
It would be a steal for $40. What are you going to use it for? 4 older cores is not great for gaming, but still great for $40. Also, this supports Quad-Channel RAM, but you will need 4 modules to make that work. Does it come with RAM?

idk what to say

Weaksauce
It would be a steal for $40. What are you going to use it for? 4 older cores is not great for gaming, but still great for $40. Also, this supports Quad-Channel RAM, but you will need 4 modules to make that work. Does it come with RAM?
no sadly but a guy selling a 1060 for 225 has some so il give him an offer for 12 gb of ram when i buy the 1060 (btw im going to mine on it to recoup some of the costs when im not using it- is that a good idea? lol)

Tsumi

[H]F Junkie
Unless you have stupidly low electricity rates (or aren't paying for electricity), it would not be worth it to mine on a 3820.

$40 is cheap with motherboard. Working good X79 motherboards are hard to come by and are often worth at least $50 on their own.

idk what to say

Weaksauce
Unless you have stupidly low electricity rates (or aren't paying for electricity), it would not be worth it to mine on a 3820.

$40 is cheap with motherboard. Working good X79 motherboards are hard to come by and are often worth at least $50 on their own.
no i was saying i was going to mine on a 1060 with it when im not using it.

the seller has 2 mobos lol should i buy both and sell one on ebay or something?

kirbyrj

Fully [H]
What kind of board is it? If it's a cheap chinese x79 ebay board, probably not.

zandor

2[H]4U
What kind of board is it? If it's a cheap chinese x79 ebay board, probably not.
^ This. Good X79 boards are somewhat desirable since a lot of them can take used Xeons you can easily get from a server recycler on eBay after a BIOS update. Like I have an Asus P9X79 Deluxe that'll take Xeon E5 v2 chip (Ivy Bridge), so it can run a chip with up to 12 cores. The people who want them generally don't use them for gaming. IMHO they're most interesting these days for I/O heavy jobs, like a media or file server. X79 has 40 PCI-e lanes, so you can stuff several PCI-e 8x NICs or RAID controllers into an X79 rig.

I'd do it if the board it comes with is decent. An older quad core i7 with board is about the best I can imagine doing for $40, and X79 is a nice bonus since at least it's possible to upgrade to a faster proc later. I'm typing this on an i7-3820 machine, and it does just fine for any sort of "home use" task I've thrown at it. I'm sure it would struggle a bit with recent AAA games, but other than that it's a very usable machine and can still beat up a lot of shiny new laptops... especially ones that only have 8GB of ram, 2-4 cores, and a CPU model number ending in "U" (aka low power). Put it up against a 10th gen i3 desktop chip? It's toast unless the i3 machine is short on ram or depends on a rust drive for storage.

idk what to say

Weaksauce
^ This. Good X79 boards are somewhat desirable since a lot of them can take used Xeons you can easily get from a server recycler on eBay after a BIOS update. Like I have an Asus P9X79 Deluxe that'll take Xeon E5 v2 chip (Ivy Bridge), so it can run a chip with up to 12 cores. The people who want them generally don't use them for gaming. IMHO they're most interesting these days for I/O heavy jobs, like a media or file server. X79 has 40 PCI-e lanes, so you can stuff several PCI-e 8x NICs or RAID controllers into an X79 rig.

I'd do it if the board it comes with is decent. An older quad core i7 with board is about the best I can imagine doing for $40, and X79 is a nice bonus since at least it's possible to upgrade to a faster proc later. I'm typing this on an i7-3820 machine, and it does just fine for any sort of "home use" task I've thrown at it. I'm sure it would struggle a bit with recent AAA games, but other than that it's a very usable machine and can still beat up a lot of shiny new laptops... especially ones that only have 8GB of ram, 2-4 cores, and a CPU model number ending in "U" (aka low power). Put it up against a 10th gen i3 desktop chip? It's toast unless the i3 machine is short on ram or depends on a rust drive for storage.
i see thanks for the insight im going to contact the seller to see if he can give me a pic of the motherboards (he only took close up pics of the cpu in the mobo lol)