Help! Dual-Use 4k TV/Monitor, RTINGS' list, Alternative to Philips/Dell 43", Questions

PixelNut

n00b
First post, and before I begin, thank you all in this community for existing, answering each other's questions, providing examples and feedback. There's no other place on the internet for this, and you're easily the gold standard that has prevented me from buying the Philips/Dell 43" monitors.

-----------------------------------

On that, sucks to read about the Burn-In issues. Really bummed out about them. Sucks that the quality is still so suspect.

I want to buy a 43" monitor for both monitor/TV use: sitting close like a monitor for work (which includes some design) most of the time (in native 4k mode), then watching/Steam-gaming on a couch sometimes (probably just 1080p content on either).

Given that both seem bad options now, I was looking at TVs... And that's where things get really confusing. Would appreciate perspectives, suggestions for models, etc.

Questions:

• Given that it'll be 80/20 work/play for me, and seeing colors correctly is key, I imagine IPS is a necessity since I'll just be a foot or so away from it. I have a few Samsung TN monitors that even at 23", the angle of viewing changes greys significantly, so the question is: in your experience, is IPS on a TV as a monitor necessary and actually helpful?

• On RTINGS' site, a few things confuse me. LIke the angle, even for the IPS X830C, is at 42 degrees. I have a tablet which has viewing angles spec-ed at around 178 degrees. Dell's U line is also stated at 178 degrees. Does IPS on TV mean something less/different?

• What is an acceptable input lag? I play FPSes from time to time, and am not sure what constitutes unacceptable.

• Anothering thing on RTINGS: color gamut and color accuracy. The fact that these columns exist, are based out of 10, and even an IPS panel gets only 9 at best (there's decimals) makes me think that even if the TVs are rated 4:4:4 @ 60 Hz they're still not color-accurate compared to a "monitor", or a Dell U-series one, which is to me a gold standard. If not, is there a significant variation, enough so that I shouldn't consider a TV?

• And finally, the stupid question. Is there a fundamental difference between TVs and Monitors? Rather, have you ever been told by family not to sit too close to the TV because it'll hurt your eyes, or that monitors give X-rays? I read this up a bit, basically not sitting too close was a concern back in the 60's, but shouldn't be a concern now, figured to ask the experts here.
Thank you all for your time in reading and considering this, and more so for the notes/questions/suggestions. Regardless of where we end up at, I'll update with the monitor I've chosen and let you know how it went.

Luke M

Limp Gawd
There aren't many TN panel TVs. Almost all are some variant of VA or (less common) IPS. Cinimaphiles dislike IPS because of the worse contrast ratio in a dark room.

PixelNut

n00b
There aren't many TN panel TVs. Almost all are some variant of VA or (less common) IPS. Cinimaphiles dislike IPS because of the worse contrast ratio in a dark room.

I can live with worse contrast ratio if it means better color accuracy when viewing it up close as a monitor. Still, it almost seems like IPS for TVs is different (at least results-wise) than IPS monitors.