Half-Life 2... no multiplayer?!

Jonsey

[H]ard|Gawd
That's too bad. As much as other people have bashed HL Deathmatch, it was always the game of choice at our LAN parties. I was really hoping for a refresh. Oh well, hopefully someone will make a mod.

theNoid

Supreme [H]ardness
I doubt that'll be the case in the long run. But it does appear that CS:S will be the only MP version upon release for HL2...

I think that blows donkey IMO. CS:S is nothing more then Valves attempt to keep an outdated hacker infested game alive. I'll pass on CS:S completly and just hang in there for other mods..

I heard Natural Selection was being working on for the HL2.. can anyone confirm ?

Techx

Supreme [H]ardness
blah, forget cs ill just play the hl2sp and be done with the whole dumb game

Bane

Gawd
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Valve is working with most of the really popular mods in getting them ported over to the Source engine. Especially mods like Day of Defeat and Natural Selection which are really popular. I have no proof though.

Mcbuddah

Weaksauce
Hopefully Valve will release some sort of multiplayer code so the modding community has something to build on.

|MaguS|

[H]ard|Gawd
DOD is included in some of the packages available for HL2, so it also will be available. I bet there will be a DM mod for HL2 in less then a month of its release...

oldpablo

Supreme [H]ardness
That is complete and utter crap. I have to say honestly that HL deathmatch was the best gaming I've ever had. Maybe it was just because LAN gaming was so new, maybe it was all the custom models we had downloaded (bear in tutu, homer, yoda, smurfs, unicycle guy, etc), but I swear that I have never laughed as much at any LAN party then back in the day when we played HL deathmatch. How can you not laugh when a bottle of toothpaste flys at you wildly swinging a crowbar? Those days will never come again...

I always thought it was fun to play a multiplayer co-op and run through the the single player mode with your friends. We did this a lot in Duke3D and Blood, etc, but haven't done it much lately. But from what I've seen about HL2, I was thinking it would be fun to do co-op again. Too bad

bripab007

Limp Gawd
This is pretty old news, guys. Valve said a while ago that the only multiplayer component to ship with the game would be Counter-Strike.

theNoid

Supreme [H]ardness
SimpleMinded said:
I always thought it was fun to play a multiplayer co-op and run through the the single player mode with your friends. We did this a lot in Duke3D and Blood, etc, but haven't done it much lately. But from what I've seen about HL2, I was thinking it would be fun to do co-op again. Too bad

HL1 had the mod Sven Co-op which allowed you to do SP co-op. Hopefully that mod is ported over to HL2 also.

gumplunger

Limp Gawd
SimpleMinded said:
Co-op was a mod. It didn't come with the original HL either. Sven will probably mod HL2 to be co-op. Quitcherbitchen
edit: beaten . :(

gumplunger

Limp Gawd
bripab007 said:
This is pretty old news, guys. Valve said a while ago that the only multiplayer component to ship with the game would be Counter-Strike.
Quote for truth.

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm totally stoked to play CS:S the full version. Their should at least be alot less cheaters, not to mention the much much better graphics. The graphics were the only thing i was getting tired of in CS, and that was really only when i wasn't busy getting owned. But of course, if you don't like CS, you can always play.. I don't know... UT? Doom3 deathmatch (4player is for consoles)?? What do people play online besides CS?

theNoid

Supreme [H]ardness
7718 said:
I'm totally stoked to play CS:S the full version. Their should at least be alot less cheaters, not to mention the much much better graphics. The graphics were the only thing i was getting tired of in CS, and that was really only when i wasn't busy getting owned. But of course, if you don't like CS, you can always play.. I don't know... UT? Doom3 deathmatch (4player is for consoles)?? What do people play online besides CS?

You have got to be absolutely kidding right ? I take it you assume CS is the greatest online game to date ... sadly you are far from the truth. Just because 80,000 people are still playing the game does not in any way make it a great game. What it does is prove that 80,000 are ..

A. Too cheap to upgrade their 600mhz computer and GF2.
B. Play in leagues (ie CAL etc..)
C. Hack
D. Hack

and last but not least ..

E. Hack

Example ... if 80K people still played Super Mario 3.. would that make it the best online game ever!!!! ? No. I means 80K people are too cheap to upgrade to a better system to play far superior games.

Again, I played it for 4 years.. the game is utter crap now (no joke whatsoever, the game sucks donkey). It is infested with pre teen hackers with mickey mouse voices sqeeky about. The only sane reason I see to even play the game still would be league play w/voicecomm OFF.

The Frag Ops mod for UT2K4 is far better then CS:S in all reguards (IMO). CS:S is nothing more then Valve's attempt to keep an outdated hacker infested game alive and kicking. If you think hacking will (laff) 'go away' with CS:S you are sadly mistaken.

So to answer your question.. besides all the HS kids that play CS on their first computer.. we gamers play such games as ... UT2k4, Doom 3, FarCry, Countless MMORPGS (EQ, WoW, CoH, I could go on foroever) Warcraft III, Diablo 2, Countless RTSs ... and so on, and so on ...

I get sick of hearing blinded CS players who think CS is the greatest game out there... please. On the list of top 10 games of ALL TIME.. CS (IMO) doesn't even come close to making the list. It "WAS" a great game, and sadly children have ruined it. These are facts not fiction, CS is an embarassement to all that is online gaming.<--- period

/bull horn off.

oldpablo

Supreme [H]ardness
theNoid said:
You have got to be absolutely kidding right ? I take it you assume CS is the greatest online game to date ... sadly you are far from the truth. Just because 80,000 people are still playing the game does not in any way make it a great game. What it does is prove that 80,000 are ..

A. Too cheap to upgrade their 600mhz computer and GF2.
B. Play in leagues (ie CAL etc..)
C. Hack
D. Hack

and last but not least ..

E. Hack

Again, I played it for 4 years.. the game is utter crap now (no joke whatsoever, the game sucks donkey). It is infested with pre teen hackers with mickey mouse voices sqeeky about. The only sane reason I see to even play the game still would be league play w/voicecomm OFF.

The Frag Ops mod for UT2K4 is far better then CS:S in all reguards (IMO). CS:S is nothing more then Valve's attempt to keep an outdated hacker infested game alive and kicking. If you think hacking will (laff) 'go away' with CS:S you are sadly mistaken.

So to answer your question.. besides all the HS kids that play CS on their first computer.. we gamers play such games as ... UT2k4, Doom 3, FarCry, Countless MMORPGS (EQ, WoW, CoH, I could go on foroever) Warcraft III, Diablo 2, Countless RTSs ... and so on, and so on ...

I get sick of hearing blinded CS players who think CS is the greatest game out there... please. On the list of top 10 games of ALL TIME.. CS (IMO) doesn't even come close to making the list. It "WAS" a great game, and sadly children have ruined it. These are facts not fiction, CS is an embarassement to all that is online gaming.<--- period

/bull horn off.

Yeah CS quit being fun when they took out "gun running." I don't mean because of it. It was about that time that it started becoming mainstream and the fools moved in. I'll probably just get the basic package. After all the hype and the CS morons, I really don't want any paraphanelia. :p

finalgt

Supreme [H]ardness
Why do you assume Source is going to have less hackers? Valve said the same fucking thing about Steam, that it was going to revolutionize anti-cheat systems, that it was impossibly hard to get by, etc...and look how many hackers there are now. Hell, look at all the people who've been fucking banned on false detections, for 1 or 5 years. (5 years in my case)

It's fine for a game company to be in it solely for the profit, that's only business. But for them to attempt to pass their shit off as being in the better interest of gamers, that's when I stop buying their products.

OldPueblo said:
That is complete and utter crap. I have to say honestly that HL deathmatch was the best gaming I've ever had. Maybe it was just because LAN gaming was so new, maybe it was all the custom models we had downloaded (bear in tutu, homer, yoda, smurfs, unicycle guy, etc), but I swear that I have never laughed as much at any LAN party then back in the day when we played HL deathmatch. How can you not laugh when a bottle of toothpaste flys at you wildly swinging a crowbar? Those days will never come again...

I know exactly what you mean... we found a Kermit the Frog skin and it was so fucking hilarious seeing a 2 foot tall Kermit with a rocket launcher twice as big as the skin.. I used to laugh so hard, I could barely play.... I really hope valve makes a HL2 Deathmatch..... I never like CS :(

uvi

Weaksauce
the biggest flaw in his !!!!!!ism is the random belief that cs:s will be hacker free. Are you kidding me? This game is likely to have the MOST hackers simply because it is new and there to be hacked. Theres a reason nobody writes hacks for doom2, who gives a damn? And lord help valve if they said their game would be hacker free, or else they have just invited the most intense proof of such idiocy having everyone slam their game asap.

Eihli

Gawd
Awe man, I don't even want to play if they don't have TF. I hate single player games.

The Batman

[H]ard|Gawd
Blah, I was looking forward to a co-op campaign.

Funny how nobody is bitching about HL2's MP, when they raised hell about D3's MP.

FiZ

[H]ard|Gawd
Why is this new news to everyone, I thought we knew about this about 4 months ago.

Edit: Appears someone already brought this up, disregard this post :eek: .

AgentxofxChaos

Agent of [H] Chaos
The Batman said:

Funny how nobody is bitching about HL2's MP, when they raised hell about D3's MP.

Haha yeah. At least Doom 3 had Multiplayer built in too. Anyway, as much as I care less the more I hear about this game, I'll probably still end up getting it. I pretty much knew that CS:S was the only multiplayer they were going to offer and I have never ever played CS, but I was hoping that they would have some kind of LAN play on the levels that came with the game. I usually never play multiplayer anyway on my games and just end up just playing through the SP, so this doesn't really bug me that much. I pretty much figured I'd never really get into the MP of HL2 anyway due to all that Steam crap that everybody complains about, I really don't want to touch it anyway.

Xtasy0

[H]ard|Gawd
The Batman said:

plenty of people are bitching about hl2's multiplayer, also there will be co-op, co-op will be a mod created by the sven coop team. valve and sven announced ages ago that they'd be working on sven co-op 2 after hl2 came out, and it was made clear it would not be included with the game (there was no co-op included with hl...).

compslckr

[H]F Junkie
i am getting less and less excited about HL2, it seems like it is getting to a point where the time waited will not be worth it when the game is released. think of it this way, they started working on it forever ago, and it has been getting more and more hype since they started on it, by the time it comes out we will all be expecting too much, and it will be like doom 3... sure it was fun, and the graphics were an improvment over the original (or original 2 in the case of doom ;) ) but the game was nothing really special, and i am willing to admin that doom 3 has gotten really boring. the multiplayer blows imo, and you can hardly see the extent of the capibility of the engine since every level is the same, a dark long hallway with some rooms off of it.
I am not really expecting to be blown away by HL2, i was really looking foward to doom 3 and when it came out i was quite disappointed.

if you just wasted your time reading that post i am sorry that i can't give your time back, i am wicked tired and the above post probably does not even make any sence.

denaps

Limp Gawd
i can't believe some of you guys saying "just because 80,000 are still playing an X year old game, doesn't mean it's a good game."

i think it actually does mean that geniuses. you actually think 80,000 hackers are playing counter-strike because they can hack it? no. if they were great h4XX0rs they would be finding new things to hack because that's the mindset of a hacker - nothing is impossible.

the fact that CS is still so popular says something about the gameplay, probably that it's fun - and i've never played HL1 or CS. am i alone on this?

Eihli

Gawd
This is probably a stupid question but, doest CSS come with HL2 or are they two seperate games?

whoami?

Limp Gawd
Yep, I'll be stupid here....but does this mean that, with MP essentially being a mod to HL2, that one can buy the retail game, download the particular mod, then do MP without dealing with Steam?

kick@ss

Supreme [H]ardness
finalgt said:
Hell, look at all the people who've been fucking banned on false detections, for 1 or 5 years. (5 years in my case).
It wasn't a false detection. Don't cheat.

Dijonase

Gawd
compslckr said:
it seems like it is getting to a point where the time waited will not be worth it when the game is released. think of it this way, they started working on it forever ago, and it has been getting more and more hype since they started on it, by the time it comes out we will all be expecting too much

So you're saying the game won't be worth it because of the hype? Not because of the quality of gameplay, not because of the graphics, but because of the hype? Forget the hype. The hype doesn't matter. If you let the hype suck you in then you'll be disappointed every time. Very few things can live up to the hype, so feel free to pay attention to the game's progress, but don't let the hype swallow you. If you do then it's your own damn fault if the game (or another game, or a movie, etc.) doesn't live up to your lofty expectations.

Now if it sucks then that's another story altogether, but don't let excessive hype ruin your enjoyment of anything.

Kong

Limp Gawd
CS: I stopped playing CS in late 2001 because of the rampant cheating and I was just tired of it after for playing almost daily for well over a year. The clan I was in self-imploding also hastened my departure. I for one am shocked at how popular CS still is today but I think that does demonstrate the greatness of CS. CS transformed FPS MP gaming, and it was a freaking mod for HL, and HL was built using a heavily modified Quake 2 engine.(You cannot escape Carmack's reach!!) The fact that CS:S is considered HL2s MP game speaks volumes about CS and dare I say its greatness. (Note: 12yo punk kids can/do ruin the MP experience, but that is no reflection on the game itself)

MP: The standalone HL MP game was nothing special, HL as a MP/mod platform was demonstrating by Valves official free TFC mod. This was really my first 'true' MP experience. Any news if Valve is still working on TF2?!?!

Cheating: Any semi-popular MP game is gonna have people trying to hack it, let alone a hughely popular one. I have no problem with real hackers (those who actually create the hack) in fact I have a lot of respect for their skills, HOWEVER they cross the line when the release the hack to the general public. 99% of the cheaters you run into online simply downloaded the hack and installed it. They are NOT hackers, they're just simply lame *ss cheaters.

I fully expect cheating in all HL2 MP mods. The reason is simple. If poweful mod tools are freely available to the general public these can/are used to figure out how to hack the the engine. Unfortunately this is a 2 edge sword, mod tools mean great free mods but also effective hacks will be created.

colin

Limp Gawd
At least when CS:S is initially released, the hacks will be unavailable, buggy, or at least hard to find. We will have a short grace period of sweet CS lovin' before the little kids get ahold of aimbots, etc.

Wow, i downloaded a file and replaced some dll's in my game directory and maybe edited my registry. I am such an awesome hacker... :rolleyes:

Slightly unrelated:
Remember when that graphics card company annouced drivers that would enable see-thourgh walls, and how cool they thought that would be. Remember how quickly they backed off after horrid flaming from the CS masses? That was pretty damned funny.

UltimaParadox

Supreme [H]ardness
No one has said it yet...

The original HL deathmatch map crossfire with the cabinet skins was probablly the most fun I have had in a multiplaye game.

inotocracy

Supreme [H]ardness
colin said:
At least when CS:S is initially released, the hacks will be unavailable, buggy, or at least hard to find. We will have a short grace period of sweet CS lovin' before the little kids get ahold of aimbots, etc.

Wow, i downloaded a file and replaced some dll's in my game directory and maybe edited my registry. I am such an awesome hacker... :rolleyes:

Slightly unrelated:
Remember when that graphics card company annouced drivers that would enable see-thourgh walls, and how cool they thought that would be. Remember how quickly they backed off after horrid flaming from the CS masses? That was pretty damned funny.

That was only ATI, there were no other companies wanting to do that. But yes I do remember that ordeal :)

colin

Limp Gawd
Oh, I thought it was an individual card company like Asus or something. The ATI answer makes more sense, I was wondering which company it was, thanks.