GTX 680 In Stock Thread

bandit390

[H]ard|Gawd
I always do rush processing. What is $3 on a $500 item? :rolleyes:

It's a useless fee that is pure profit for newegg. Maybe they should do their job without a $3 fee.

What's next; a $3 walmart fee so the cashier will scan your items quicker?

But I don't blame newegg, I blame the consumer.

EarlyAdopter

Weaksauce
It's a useless fee that is pure profit for newegg. Maybe they should do their job without a $3 fee.

What's next; a $3 walmart fee so the cashier will scan your items quicker?

But I don't blame newegg, I blame the consumer.

More like a $3 fee to cut in front of everyone else waiting in line. I bet a lot of people would be willing to pay that at Walmart.

But being that it's Walmart, fights would probably break out. Easier to do when it's online. :)

michael.pa2

2[H]4U
Well, SuperBiiz now has the eVGA 680 listed, buuuuut they've gone Gouge Posse with it--$579.99.

That's nothing,the gouging going on with this card is insane. Seen them going for $670 on Amazon,even more on Ebay. If I hadn't gotten one on Micro Center,I would have waited,can't believe people would pay so much extra.

Sufu

[H]ard|Gawd
someone needs to let this thread die. I can only imagine looking to buy a 680 and seeing this thread popup, then looking in and finding it's just some guy talking about the $3 rush fee @ the egg.

gman

[H]ard|Gawd
So Nvidia only made about 500 cards? Why release the stupid thing if no one can find one.:rolleyes:

Tiporaro

[H]ard|Gawd
So Nvidia only made about 500 cards? Why release the stupid thing if no one can find one.:rolleyes:

Demand for the newest product usually surpasses first couple days worth of stock. This isn't anything new, and arguably is to the advantage of many manufacturers as it drums up news and desire for it - the people that were on the fence might be just pushed hard enough by being excited at getting a "hot item" that others can't get. The human psychology at its finest.

EightM

n00b

It's all supply and demand. There is no requisite for the supply:demand to be 1:1. That would be even more silly.

People can find them, and many of them did. Just not everyone. You've been around for 11+ years, this isn't your first rodeo. C'mon.

xenon expert

Limp Gawd
I have to be patient since I'm using evga step up program but when the AMD launched the 7970 I grabbed one for someone and it was a lot more available. Sure stock was coming and going but nothing like this! 1 minute it's in stock and the next it's out of stock....from all companies.

Either the demand is outrageous or there's not enough initial stock and cards are just getting in stock in very limited quantities. I think it's a combination of both but more about not enough cards available.

Neon01

[H]ard|Gawd
I have to be patient since I'm using evga step up program but when the AMD launched the 7970 I grabbed one for someone and it was a lot more available. Sure stock was coming and going but nothing like this! 1 minute it's in stock and the next it's out of stock....from all companies.

Either the demand is outrageous or there's not enough initial stock and cards are just getting in stock in very limited quantities. I think it's a combination of both but more about not enough cards available.

Based on how long they were available the first day (3/22), initial stock seemed to exceed my expectations. It took a few hours to sell them all out on Newegg alone, and they came back up for sale for a couple more hours later that day. TD and NCIX USA also had some availability if I'm not mistaken. I've never really witnessed a hard launch before, but with all of the anticipation and fervor with which I heard people talking about Kepler prior to release, I was very surprised it didn't sell out faster.

Comparing to the 7970 isn't exactly apples to apples, either, and for a couple reasons (beware, some speculation coming!):

1. As discussed above, there were a LOT of people that were "seeing how Kepler does" prior to investing in the 7970.
2. It was just cheaper than the 7970. I know $50 doesn't seem like much, but except for Newegg, most places (even amazon) seemed to gouge on the 7970 near launch. I didn't see that with the 680.
3. (pure speculation) It really seems to me that the "green team" has more of a devout following than the "red team". Again, this is anecdotal, but I seem to see a lot more people that are devoted to Nvidia products rather than AMD products. I find there are a greater percentage of AMD owners that are simply out for the best value they can find.
4. According to most reviews for performance metrics relevant to many buyers (i.e. under 1600p), the 680 just outperformed the 7970 in most tests. And did it with less power and less noise (in general), and for less money. Given that there's no third team about to release a competing product in a few months, this all adds up to a lot of sales for Nvidia.

The 7970 is a hell of a card too though. I'm not saying one is definitively better.

Just my 2c, anyway.

Sojuuk

2[H]4U
Just my 2c, anyway.

And I agree with them. I think it is most likely that people were annoyed with AMD's decision to price relative(identically) to last generation's performance and nvidia hasn't.

Look at the recently launched 7870/50. I watched its availability from launch and it never sold out all brands even on launch day. And that is because we are paying the exact same amount for the exact same performance we did a year ago. I should known I own a 6957.

xenon expert

Limp Gawd
Based on how long they were available the first day (3/22), initial stock seemed to exceed my expectations. It took a few hours to sell them all out on Newegg alone, and they came back up for sale for a couple more hours later that day. TD and NCIX USA also had some availability if I'm not mistaken. I've never really witnessed a hard launch before, but with all of the anticipation and fervor with which I heard people talking about Kepler prior to release, I was very surprised it didn't sell out faster.

Comparing to the 7970 isn't exactly apples to apples, either, and for a couple reasons (beware, some speculation coming!):

1. As discussed above, there were a LOT of people that were "seeing how Kepler does" prior to investing in the 7970.
2. It was just cheaper than the 7970. I know $50 doesn't seem like much, but except for Newegg, most places (even amazon) seemed to gouge on the 7970 near launch. I didn't see that with the 680.
3. (pure speculation) It really seems to me that the "green team" has more of a devout following than the "red team". Again, this is anecdotal, but I seem to see a lot more people that are devoted to Nvidia products rather than AMD products. I find there are a greater percentage of AMD owners that are simply out for the best value they can find.
4. According to most reviews for performance metrics relevant to many buyers (i.e. under 1600p), the 680 just outperformed the 7970 in most tests. And did it with less power and less noise (in general), and for less money. Given that there's no third team about to release a competing product in a few months, this all adds up to a lot of sales for Nvidia.

The 7970 is a hell of a card too though. I'm not saying one is definitively better.

Just my 2c, anyway.

You have valid points. And yes I guess some people were waiting to see what kepler would look like before making a purchase. I have no allegiance to either companies but from threads we see on forums I would be curious to see the number of "devotees" on each side ;) Sure looks pretty even on the fanatic devotee meter lol...:D

And if I remember, the 7970 had great reviews. Oh well. Patience is a virtue and I certainly won't get all upset over a graphic card launch. More important stuff in life.

Neon01

[H]ard|Gawd
I have no allegiance to either companies but from threads we see on forums I would be curious to see the number of "devotees" on each side ;) Sure looks pretty even on the fanatic devotee meter lol...:D

Haha, you may be right about the zealot parity. I guess I've been reading all of the frustration and disgust on the AMD board about the recent state of AMD drivers for 7900 series cards, and that may have colored my view of the situation.

Personally, I'm the opposite - I always tend to think the grass is greener on the other side :eek: Ultimately though, both sides have issues, and both produce great products.

JimmyWang214

Weaksauce
Members come in here to see if they were in stock at newegg. i can easily just reutrned It but seeing if anyone wanted one before i do. Just trying to help another member out. Thx for pointing out ive been here for 7 years i feel special.

YGPM

Sufu

[H]ard|Gawd
TD shows Gigabyte GTX 680 as "in stock", but they want $520 each.

GibsonEX

Gawd
Newegg had Galaxy cards in stock for couple of seconds right now. I didn't even have time to add it to the cart, it was gone. Wonder if they get more than 2 cards at time.

*** it happened again, this time Asus and Galaxy both showed up in stock, but when you add to the cart it's says they don't have them. Damn it !!!

Sufu

[H]ard|Gawd
I managed to order two Asus cards the second the buy link came up, and then saw the Galaxy and wanted those instead, except it woulden't let me add more than one...Now I think they are all gone again.

MYST_2

Gawd
I had a Galaxy but had to go back to get overnight shipping and it stripped it out of my cart....

StricKeN

Weaksauce
My purolator tracking number basically tells me to call them for information on my card. Sadface. I like seeing progress updates

Faikius

n00b
Just got my update from Amazon. Delivery expected 28th - 29th :)

Ordered around 2pm Central on the 22nd.

gman

[H]ard|Gawd
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman View Post
So Nvidia only made about 500 cards? Why release the stupid thing if no one can find one.
It's all supply and demand. There is no requisite for the supply:demand to be 1:1. That would be even more silly.

People can find them, and many of them did. Just not everyone. You've been around for 11+ years, this isn't your first rodeo. C'mon.

Ya think.

fa·ce·tious/fəˈsēSHəs/
: meant to be humorous or funny : not serious <a facetious remark>

michael.pa2

2[H]4U
Damn! Micro Center just canceled my order. Just lost any future business from me,if it's not in stock,fine,but don't accept my order,charge my card,give me a shipping date - then cancel it due to unavailability two days later. What really sucks is another place I had asked to notify me if one became available sent me a notice after I had ordered it,naturally that one is long gone now. Guess it's back to waiting.

Ryom

[H]ard|Gawd
Uggg, my MSI 6950 Twin Frozr II's second fan just failed entirely. I was hoping to limp by until I could snag one of these. Back on my GTX 260 for now :)

xorbe

Supreme [H]ardness
Damn! Micro Center just canceled my order. Just lost any future business from me

Hot launch day orders are like roulette, don't get too upset. Even a few got shafted by Newegg, and obviously some by TigerDirect. I'm sure MC will right your credit card, as they are a legit place. I didn't see any sob stories about Amazon, though I haven't ever seen any in stock there myself yet, aside from those affiliate gougers.

Uggg, my MSI 6950 Twin Frozr II's second fan just failed entirely. I was hoping to limp by ...

Companies build these custom cooled $300 video cards, and then glue the cheapest fans ever to them, now that's a real crime compared to above!

just came on amazon prime for a few minutes..

got one while it said "shipping in a few days" .. refreshed a few min later and it said "shipped by march 31" ... another few mins and it was completely unavailable again

dukenuke88

[H]ard|Gawd
No idea. I even choose free super saver shipping. Where are you located? I'm in Socal.

haha i'm in socal too...its an amazon thing right? lol

just be glad you're getting yours this week...mine is gonna be sometime next week for sure...and it will probably leave the warehouse Thu or Fri of this week

Spoonmaster

Limp Gawd
Companies build these custom cooled $300 video cards, and then glue the cheapest fans ever to them, now that's a real crime compared to above!
The Twin Frozr coolers are actually really really nice. Just saying.

Boyiee

Limp Gawd
Evga 680 newegg right now.

Just ordered one but now I'm seeing there are 4gb and SC's on the way and might cancel order

Boyiee

Limp Gawd
Out of stock already, was able to get one but might cancel with the news of the 4gbs