Gran Turismo

What makes you say that the Fanatec is better than the G25?
The reviews and opinions of those who have both. When looking at spending as much as this thing costs, I've done a LOT of research. Like I said in my earlier post, the clubsport pedals are superior to the G25 pedals, though obviously they cost a lot more. I don't know why anyone would be particularly surprised that the actual wheel is better though, given the price difference.

[Edit - Not to mention that the 911 Turbo S wheel uses superior belt driven force feedback rather than the cheaper / noisier gear driven system of the G25]

Last edited:
I don't have time to go digging through the forums for the posts, but they mention G25 specifically in the review of the older wheel on the last page (Shaun now uses the 911 wheel permanently) and you have posts and reviews like:

http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3045215&postcount=5
http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3409141&postcount=424
http://gamechronicles.com/gear/ps3/porsche911/turbowheel.htm
http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/gadgets_and_gaming/article4315899.ece
http://www.virtualr.net/fanatec-porsche-911-turbo-wheel-review/

These are mostly about the older version... the new one is improved and tweaked further but I can't quickly find reference to the G25 on the reviews of the newer models. But anyway, this is the GT thread, not the steering wheel thread. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss it.

Edit - Based on the above post, I get the feeling I've run into a G25 fanboy rather than someone interested in actual discussion though, so maybe just leave it. If you can't respect the opinions of people like the guys at Sim Racing Tonight, then obviously that's your perogative.

Last edited:
Instead of calling someone a fanboy, why don't you give a better argument than "it is more expensive so it must be better".

From what I can read, some people like the 911 wheel because of its physical size and feel. From the videos, the 911 wheel doesn't look as robust or sturdy as the G25 especially the shifter. The G25 is noisier and the shifter doesn't have resistance. Both wheels have thier advantage and disadvantages so I can't tell which is better since it is subjective to your preference.
http://forum.rigsofrods.com/index.php?topic=19199.0;topicseen

Like I said, I'm not going to discuss it with you because you seem more interested in an argument than anything else.

...and again, this is the Gran Turismo thread.

Unless they come out and give a 2010 release date, like many of the games at E3...

Considering the entirety of all his comments on GT5 lately, a 2009 release date is far more likely than not.

I'd bet my PS3 the release date will be announced in the next 2-3 months, and that it's coming this year before Christmas. It all fits in with what Amar (gtplanet insider) said a while back. Dang I need to buy a G25 soon.

I'll believe the so-called 'AI improvements' when I see them.

Watch the E3 video and then play GT5:p. The AI cars don't react like that. They might leave the line a bit, but they don't drive off the track to avoid smashing into a pileup.

Watch the E3 video and then play GT5:p. The AI cars don't react like that. They might leave the line a bit, but they don't drive off the track to avoid smashing into a pileup.

It's just something I'm going to have to play with to believe. That video was far too short for me to derive any solid info from, especially regarding how the AI reacts to obstacles.

You're right though, currently the AI cars will try to smash right through you. The E3 video did likely display certain parts on purpose, I'll give you that. I'd just like to see some repetition.

johnnymendoza, if you've got nothing to add, why would you bother with that drivel? Day 6 is riding your crapwave. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Like I said, I'm not going to discuss it with you because you seem more interested in an argument than anything else.

...and again, this is the Gran Turismo thread.
I was just asking what makes you say that the 911 wheel is better than the G25. The way you said it makes it looks like it is a fact that the 911 is better than the G25. When asked, you didn't gave any other point other than the price difference. :rolleyes:

Yes this is the GT thread but people also mentioned about Forza here and discussing about the wheel is more valid since a good wheel will give a lot more "realism" than the damage modelling.

Ignoring the reviews I mentioned, and the difference in force feedback systems you mean?

Like I said, only interested in an argument.

Both wheels are good, I have the g25 and have tested the 911. It's going to boil down to preference really. I like the feel of the g25 wheel myself, but I own it so I'm biased :p.

It's just something I'm going to have to play with to believe. That video was far too short for me to derive any solid info from, especially regarding how the AI reacts to obstacles.

You're right though, currently the AI cars will try to smash right through you. The E3 video did likely display certain parts on purpose, I'll give you that. I'd just like to see some repetition.

johnnymendoza, if you've got nothing to add, why would you bother with that drivel? Day 6 is riding your crapwave. :rolleyes:

can you type that in english please

I actually havent heard good things about this porsche wheel from the iracing crowd. As in the g25 is still preferred, unless going custom wheel route which is always the best, but not monetarily feasible for most of us. Definitely better than the 360 wheel however, which is poor at best.

So imo, g25 for ps3/pc still best route to go and just skip the sim games on 360 due to this. Im not buying 2 wheels for all my systems.

I run it in iRacing as well as all PC sims and it works superbly. Seen there was some link to some 911 turbo impressions. Here is two reviews on the GT 3 RS CSP edition. One more professional looking then the other http://www.nogripracing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145043

For me it´s not really comparable to the G25. It just feels so much more like a real wheel and with the new software you can enable drift mode and be as aggressive you want with it as well :). With the RS I have as mentioned hard time finding pros for the G25 more then the mounting clamps. The majority of those who tried the Fanatec wheels tend to preferr them.

But as mentioned for pedals the older pedals are not as good as the G25 pedals. The CSP pedals once tweaked for shorter stiffer brakes are superb though :).

You need the Turbo S for official PS 3 and PS 3 support. The RS is not licensed for PS 3 but works well with GT 5 P, midnight club LA at least clutch, h-shifter and all.

Back from my ban for calling someone a dick.

Anyway, the Fanatec Turbo S wheel is night and day better than the G25. Not only the force feedback belt, but the actual build quality. On top of that, you are actually using a Porsche steering wheel.

The last advantage, the Fanatec can be used on the PC, 360 and PS3, unlike the G25. I love that I will be able to use the Fanatec with GT5p, GT5 and Forza 3.

Back from my ban for calling someone a dick.

Anyway, the Fanatec Turbo S wheel is night and day better than the G25. Not only the force feedback belt, but the actual build quality. On top of that, you are actually using a Porsche steering wheel.

The last advantage, the Fanatec can be used on the PC, 360 and PS3, unlike the G25. I love that I will be able to use the Fanatec with GT5p, GT5 and Forza 3.

I would be nice to use the bigger Porsche wheel but I have yet to see a tuned Porsche with the stock wheel in any race.

I also can't say much about the build quality of the wheel with a shifter that looks like it will break at any time.

We've been speculating more gooder than Roper has over at GTP since the E3 trailer launched. I just figured I'd link the 'professional' article. 'Professional'. :p

And true, I haven't seen any evidence that there will be more than 16 cars on a track for the Nascar events, even though everyone keeps suggesting it as fact.

Its obvious this game is a massive undertaking from the drops of images/video/interviews we get to see.

I can only hope that it lives up to all the hype.

2lwngw9.jpg

what's up with the horrible aliasing on that first pic? The lights are like hexagons....

I really don't think you'll even be playing either game, you'll just be out gathering more closeups of headlights to vindicate your corporate trip. It's really funny at this point.

and really really sad.

What an odd comparison. With LOD systems in place cropping / zooming various images isn't going to provide you with a good image to work with. If you had Forza 3 you could certainly set up the shots in the same way (from the same distance / angles) and then you could look at it properly.

I'd be interested in seeing the originals. You got them?

Those look like two completely different cars (Or at least headlight styles, I'm no gearhead), how can we compare them like that?

What an odd comparison. With LOD systems in place cropping / zooming various images isn't going to provide you with a good image to work with. If you had Forza 3 you could certainly set up the shots in the same way (from the same distance / angles) and then you could look at it properly.

I'd be interested in seeing the originals. You got them?

Of course he doesn't, it's a ready made hit job, why would he be interested in real information?

Well... then there's this.

gt5pcomparo1.jpg

^ in-game

gt5pcomparo2.jpg

^ replay

gt5pcomparo3.jpg

^ in-game

gt5pcomparo4.jpg

^ replay

I'd say that's a pretty good indication that the LOD for GT5p is very high, in-game as well as in the replays. That bodes well for the LOD that will be present in-engine for GT5.

All we've got to go on as far as Forza 3's LOD is an E3 trailer, so there's really no basis for comparison yet. Turn 10 clearly has some lofty goals though, trying to match the LOD that PD already has on the table.

http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=118039&page=29

what's up with the horrible aliasing on that first pic? The lights are like hexagons....

I really don't think you'll even be playing either game, you'll just be out gathering more closeups of headlights to vindicate your corporate trip. It's really funny at this point.

and really really sad.

The problem is, that the image of the F3 BMW is a smaller image that got zoomed in from a gif. Same thing happens when you zoom in on a small image in GT5.

Forza3 will look good no doubt, especially compared to the abomination that was Forza 2 (talking graphics). even if it's a zoomed jpeg on the Forza 3 shot I will bet my house that it will not be up to GT5 standards.

I can honestly say I've always been a big GT fan but I did buy both Forza's and I will by the 3rd but PD has always raised the bar way the fuck up there when it releases a a GT game especially in the graphics department. I know Forza3 will look great from what I've seen so far but I believe Turn10 should have kept the cockiness down a couple of decibels when they came out at E3 saying F3 will be the pinnacle of graphics in car games cuz their good but no way as good as PD when it comes to making car games.

And I don't give 2 fuck's about about car damage, I would rather see my SLR McLaren in a replay looking badass vs it looking like somebody took a baseball bat to it.

But to each his own.

The problem is, that the image of the F3 BMW is a smaller image that got zoomed in from a gif. Same thing happens when you zoom in on a small image in GT5.

I wasn't really being serious, just pointing out how stupid it is to use a flawed pic to supposedly point out other deficiencies, and the irony that if that were a forza pic, well, he'd be bitching about the terrible aliasing. I bet if there were screenies of forza 3 that said GT on them, he'd praise them up and down. It's all about the corporate loyalty.

I know Forza3 will look great from what I've seen so far but I believe Turn10 should have kept the cockiness down a couple of decibels when they came out at E3 saying F3 will be the pinnacle of graphics in car games cuz their good but no way as good as PD when it comes to making car games.

QFT

A picture is worth a thousand words. The car models on Forza 3 are "okay" but are obviously flawed when directly compared to GT5.

I'm still interested in seeing the original pictures if you can find them Stereophile. I assume you got them from somewhere.

Back