Got My New Mac...

Mac LC that is! Estate sale. Best I can tell, this system was bought, upgraded to 4MB of ram, had old Mac SE files transferred, and then boxed and never opened again. It came with the System 7 disks but it's running System 6. I've already ordered 512KB of VRAM and 8MB of DRAM in order to upgrade it a bit.

Now to find a Sonnet Presto Plus or Apple IIe card.

image3.jpg

image2.jpg

image4.jpg

image0.jpg

What the hell would you do with something like that?

Mostly for collection. It's a unique design from a unique time. You could use it for basic office work if you don't need the Internet. Technically, it's impossible to remotely hack as it has no modem or network connection. 😝

I could also throw an Apple IIe card in it, or a 68040 card. But honestly, I think I'm going to leave it as a 68020 CPU and enjoy how long it takes to get anything done.

NattyKathy

Gawd
Super cool! Neat that it's in such good condition and has the packaging, a real collectors piece. My first computer (in the late 90s) was a hand-me-down Mac LC. I played lots of old shareware games on it but the system met its demise when 10 year old me thought that I could turn it into a PC by sticking the BIOS chip from a 486 in an empty socket on the LC logic board that happened to fit... that was the day I learned about the Magic Smoke!

Super cool! Neat that it's in such good condition and has the packaging, a real collectors piece. My first computer (in the late 90s) was a hand-me-down Mac LC. I played lots of old shareware games on it but the system met its demise when 10 year old me thought that I could turn it into a PC by sticking the BIOS chip from a 486 in an empty socket on the LC logic board that happened to fit... that was the day I learned about the Magic Smoke!

Oh boy. LOL. That’s an oopsie. I started on Macs so when my friends talked about sound cards and Dos I was clueless.

I decided to keep this as 68020 CPU. If I need faster I have a 180mhz 603e MacClone. What I am doing is maxing the ram (10MB), VRAM (512k), and installing a math co-processor aka FPU. I’m actually getting a network card that also has a spot for the FPU. I picked up a 50mhz 68882 FPU. I’m really interested to see how this helps (or doesn’t), the performance of some early polygon games like Vette and Chuck Yeagers Air Combat.