Gigabyte GV-N75TOC-2GI on 350W power supply with 4 pin Molex to 6 pin PCI-E adapter, is it safe?

I have a Gigabyte GV-N75TOC-2GI that I have to use with a proprietary 350W 80+ White power supply (see this thread), the issue is that the graphics card specifications indicates that it requires at least a 400W power supply, it also has a 6 pin PCI-E power connector, and the power supply doesn't have any.

In my previous thread, the answers I got made it clear that I could use this graphics card with a 350W power supply, but I didn't knew it had a 6 pin PCI-E power connector. I found conflicting informations about it, I can't figure out if the 6 pin PCI-E power connector is required or optional.

I have a 4 pin Molex to 6 pin PCI-E adapter that I could use to power the graphics card, but knowing that I'm already running on a 350W power supply instead of a recommended 400W power supply, isn't it risky?

Moreover, I want the system to be able to handle gaming, which would put a heavy load on the graphics card.

So, first of all, is the 6 pin PCI-E power connector on the Gigabyte GV-N75TOC-2GI optional? And second, can I run a gaming system safely with this graphics card on an 350W power supply with a 4 pin Molex to 6 pin PCI-E adapter?

Thank you in advance and have a nice day.

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
DId a bit of digging for you.

You should be just fine, the PSU in that case has 2 12v rails at 150w max each, while I can't find an exact number on that video card, the refereance 750ti has a TDP of 60w, so even if that one is a little beefier, say 100w, you should be just fine.

I doubt it, but if the wires on the PSU are marked with which rail they are on, try to put the GPU on it's own.

DId a bit of digging for you.

You should be just fine, the PSU in that case has 2 12v rails at 150w max each, while I can't find an exact number on that video card, the refereance 750ti has a TDP of 60w, so even if that one is a little beefier, say 100w, you should be just fine.

I doubt it, but if the wires on the PSU are marked with which rail they are on, try to put the GPU on it's own.

Thank you a lot for your help.

I can confirm that both 12V rails have a maximum combined output of 300W (meaning that each one must have a maximum output of 150W) as specified on the power supply itself.

As for the graphics card's TDP, this is irrelevant, as TDP is Thermal Design Power, which is a measurement of how much energy is converted into heat, NOT a measurement of how much power is consumed (although it's measured in watts).

I just found out really interesting information on Tom's Hardware website, their 2015 graphics cards power consumption chart indicates the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750 Ti Windforce OC 2GB (GV-N750OC-2GI) consumes a maximum of 64W, which a single 150W 12V rail should handle fine.

I also found out I have a spare Dual 4 pin Molex to 6 pin PCI-E adapter, would using this adapter on both 12V rails increase stability and lower risks over using a Single 4 pin Molex to 6 pin PCI-E adapter on a single 12V rail?

Thanks again for your help and have nice day.

primetime

Supreme [H]ardness
increase stability? its either in spec and stable or its not....pendragon is correct....Give it a week/month...if its stable or doesn't shut off like a bad power supply does then end of story. I have 2 cables installed to my rx580 not because its needed or warranted per say. But then again my card pulls over 3 times what your card does and im OCD like that to be honest. ( And im a heavy over clocker)

I wouldn't bother on a htpc setup! lol;) IF your getting crashes, you need to lets us know!

Last edited: