For the purpose of insurance claim, does a PC game has depreciate value?

Aireoth

Supreme [H]ardness
ooh ok. Sue for cost of replacement and nothing less.
Civil court doesn't work on replacement cost, it establishes value at todays price, known as actual cash value or depreciated value.

LukeTbk

[H]ard|Gawd
Civil court doesn't work on replacement cost, it establishes value at todays price, known as actual cash value or depreciated value.
For somethings like a computer to play game and games, that nuance could be small (unlike a complicated to install/need to shutdown a commercial endeavor for x days to do it piece of equipment)

Kardonxt

2[H]4U
I don't think it really matters. From the OPs line of thought and wording throughout the thread, it sounds like they were hoping to sue for the value of whatever a bunch of equivalent arcade machines or unopened rare collector copies of the games would go for.

In reality the best they can hope for is a bunch of $1-10 games on ebay and whatever a used windows 98\XP PC capable of running them would go for. Which honestly is fair because it would be a direct replacement of what was lost. Assuming the OP would win and get any sort of payout, I doubt it would be worth the time and legal fees. Even if it's just a small claims filing fee lol.

Last edited:

Darunion

Supreme [H]ardness
So you are wanting this: Windows 98 pc is destroyed so now you cant play games x, y, and z because they require a windows 98 pc. So you are wanting compensation for the pc, and the value of the games x,y,z that cannot be played? That is a pretty far reach. I get it but in the courts eyes it is going to play out that you still own those games and they were not destroyed.

It would play out the same in many scenarios, 8 track player gets smashed, you don't get a payout for all the tapes you own but cant play. Car gets totaled, that turbocharger you have in the garage you bought for it, you don't get paid its value as well.

Might have to go after emotional damages idk.

Insurance companies like to settle because it's faster but if you push too hard they will go to court with you so be prepared.

J3RK

[H]F Junkie
I’ve dealt with another person’s insurance company before because I didn’t want to involve mine. (Other guy was completely at fault.) car damage of course, not items contained there in. I found that sticking up for yourself, but not being overly pushy helps. Definitely speak up, say you invested a lot into this niche setup. Say you’re just looking for FAIR compensation because if it wasn’t for the other party, you’d still have this thing that you put a lot of time into setting up and collecting for. Just say that you’re trying to be very reasonable, but expect to be able to put the same thing together. Give a lump sum value for it, and don’t go overboard.