First build finally done! What ya think?

Jakerz

Weaksauce
I just got everything working the way I want it on my new rig, this is my first build and it couldn't have gone better, aside from a wiring issue on my part :)

Only thing I modded on the HAF 932 was painting the inside black, the drive latches red and replaced the blue LED's on the front panel with red ones to match the rest of the build. My next case is getting powdercoated for sure, I took this one all the way down and gave it 2 coats of primer and about 4 coats of flat black and its still REALLY tender, touch it wrong and it scratches ><.

Specs:
Cooler Master HAF932 Case
EVGA Classified Mobo
Corsair HX620 PSU
VisionTek 5870 GPU
OCZ 1600mhz 6gb RAM
Intel 40GB SSD for OS and WoW
WD 1TB HDD for storage
ASUS dvd burner (planning on blueray soon)

Only think I want to do is dye the 24pin wires black and sleeve the V8 fan speed wire, looks like crap IMO, lol

Sorry for the crappy phone pics, I'll get some decent pics with my DSLR when I get home.

Close up

And the ugly side ><... I hate wires...

Anyway, let me know what ya think... and anything I can improve on! :)
Jake

PolygonGTC

[H]ard|Gawd
Very nice!

Only two things I would change:

1. Personally I can't stand the case, but that's just a matter of opinion.
2. Get some proper sleeving done, eg MDPC-X.

Overall, I'd say you've done the best you can without doing the sleeving. Very good work!

FalconSS

[H]ard|Gawd
congratulations dude!

It looks great, good cable management... I'm glad to see you took your time!

Dan_D

Extremely [H]
You've done a fantastic job with the paint and cable management. The system looks really good. Personally I can't stand that case but that's just my personal preference. I will say that your paint job and wiring make it look as good as I think it can. The other thing I'd say is that the power supply is a little anemic. If you ever decide to go with a second 5870 your existing power supply probably won't be enough. All you have to do is overclock your CPU, throw two 5870's in the system and your PSU will fall well short of your power needs. If you are sure you won't ever do that, then you'll be fine with what you have. I like to have more than I need because I never know what I'm going to do down the road.

Spiko

Gawd
hardware choices seem weird. High end multi GPU mobo but only 1 GPU and a PSU that can't support more than one anyway. Not that there's anything wrong with one GPU but why spend all the extra money if you're not going to get anything out of it?

PolygonGTC

[H]ard|Gawd
hardware choices seem weird. High end multi GPU mobo but only 1 GPU and a PSU that can't support more than one anyway. Not that there's anything wrong with one GPU but why spend all the extra money if you're not going to get anything out of it?

Because, people use high end systems for more than just games.

Dan_D

Extremely [H]
Because, people use high end systems for more than just games.

That's true, but it is clear that (at least at the moment) the extra expandability of the motherboard isn't being utilized at all. Of course the EVGA X58 3X SLI Classified motherboard may have only been selected for serious overclocking and for no other reason. Given the cooling solution that seems unlikely. If the original poster will eventually be adding other types of expansion cards such as RAID controllers, then the power requirements will increase again. Depending on how heavily overclocked the CPU and video card are, the 620 watt PSU may already be pushed relatively close to 500 watts. Add just a few hard drives to that and the current PSU won't be enough.

Of course until the original poster chimes in about overclocking and future plans, this is all conjecture.

PolygonGTC

[H]ard|Gawd
That's true, but it is clear that (at least at the moment) the extra expandability of the motherboard isn't being utilized at all. Of course the EVGA X58 3X SLI Classified motherboard may have only been selected for serious overclocking and for no other reason. Given the cooling solution that seems unlikely. If the original poster will eventually be adding other types of expansion cards such as RAID controllers, then the power requirements will increase again. Depending on how heavily overclocked the CPU and video card are, the 620 watt PSU may already be pushed relatively close to 500 watts. Add just a few hard drives to that and the current PSU won't be enough.

Of course until the original poster chimes in about overclocking and future plans, this is all conjecture.

True, I can't argue that. That PSU is pretty close to being maxed out with what he's using. I was more arguing the multi-GPU standpoint.

Dan_D

Extremely [H]
Right now I happen to be running and EVGA 3X SLI Classifed motherboard with only one video card on it. I've got a 5970 and will probably add another one to the system very soon. I will be going multi-GPU again at some point, but Microcenter only had one in stock when I bought this one and they are scarce online. Not to mention Microcenter actually had theirs for substantially less than online retailers did. Beyond that I wasn't sure that CrossfireX was working right, or that it yielded any benefits over a single card. The 4870 X2's in CrossfireX was a fiasco I'd rather not repeat. The second card was virtually useless in that configuration. Of course with only one monitor, you'd be hard pressed to push a single 5970. AvP and Crysis are about all the come to mind in that regard. You have to run AvP in DX11 mode to even push it. Crysis is just Crysis, but still, the only reason I'm pushing anything is due to the use of AA at 2560x1600. With 3 of these monitors in an Eyefinity configuration I'm damn sure going to need two cards.

Plus when I bought the EVGA X58 3X SLI Classified, I was using 3 Geforce GTX 280 OC cards in 3-Way SLI. So I had a reason to get a board with such well thought out expansion slots. :D

bigddybn

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm on at least my 30th build and your first one looks 10x neater then anything I've done.

Good job!

Jakerz

Weaksauce
Thanks guys :)... yea I ordered the PSU before I went and splurged on the 5870, so that's the reason for the choice there and the Mobo was because I want to experiment with OC'ing and wanted good hardware to do it :)

The case is really ugly but I wanted good cooling and it seemed like a decent choice but I wanna Lian Li now haha

Thanks Again
Jake

BikerTrash

n00b
Nice job! I love the case, though it does need to be painted black inside. Nice touch with the red. :cool:

Darth_Penguin

Limp Gawd
Gotta love the power supply Nazi's :eek:

Look great! Only recommendation I would make is sleeving the wiring. It really cleans the 24pin up.

stonyc

Limp Gawd
Nice job, clean wiring... can't say I'm a fan of the case, but the colors you chose (and how you painted them) work nicely.

Jakerz

Weaksauce
Thanks again for all the comments :)

About the sleeving, I don't like the look of the 24 pin with all the wires sleeved individually, I think it bulks up the cable. So I'm going to dye the wires with RIT Dye. The 8 pin is already sleeved although in the picture it doesn't look like it for some weird reason and I love the way the Corsair wires look the way they are. I'm starting to second think myself on the red tape though, do you think it looks kinda tacky?

Jake

wonSR4

[H]ard|Gawd
Looks nice and clean! Definitely better than what I had originally in my P180 (which was my first build).

DogsofJune

Supreme [H]ardness
Looks purdier than my first build. That old 286 of mine was ugly. Nice work.

I like that case, but then I'm biased, I have one. It's a little more maintenance to keep clean but it suit's my needs fair enough.

PolygonGTC

[H]ard|Gawd
Thanks again for all the comments :)

About the sleeving, I don't like the look of the 24 pin with all the wires sleeved individually, I think it bulks up the cable. So I'm going to dye the wires with RIT Dye. The 8 pin is already sleeved although in the picture it doesn't look like it for some weird reason and I love the way the Corsair wires look the way they are. I'm starting to second think myself on the red tape though, do you think it looks kinda tacky?

Jake

The reason the sleeving almost looks like it isn't there is because the weave is so loose. The flash just exacerbates the issue. As for the tape, I think it looks ten times better than the wires being left to their own devices. If you're worried about it, use some black tape instead. That way it won't be noticeable.

Personally, I think it looks good, and to be honest I couldn't even tell it was tape. I thought they were some sort of cable management ties or something.

Zenshi

Gawd
Nice build! Love the cable management both front and back. I remember Digital Storm uses this case often for their PCs. Your build looks so clean you probably could show your rig on their forum and their members will not even recognize that its a DIY build.

wildzcardz

Limp Gawd
I just RIT dyed some of my cables and that stuff works awsome if your not going to sleeve.

Atl530i

Supreme [H]ardness
Very nice wire management. I personally am not a fan of that case but the wire management features are nice. The best part of the case is the hole in the back of the mobo tray to swap coolers later on.