"Fermi" GF100 performance numbers are out

Status
Not open for further replies.

heatlesssun

Extremely [H]
If your looking for that, go ahead and buy a 58xx card then. Fermi is going to be 225W+ power draw 448 and 512SP versions. And the 448SP is already showing to be faster than the 5870 so I can't wait to see what the 512SP part does specially concidering it supposed to have higher clock than the 448SP part.

So I'm thinking the 448SP part would be like the GTX 360 and the 512SP part would be the GTX 380.

I think I'm gonna need a new case. I need to find one with eight slots.

Hornet

Supreme [H]ardness
I don't get it. How do we even know that's a GF100 benchmark?

Towards the end of the benchmark, the man talking mentioned something like "there the geforce 100 is way over 100 frames a second.."

shansoft

Supreme [H]ardness
If your looking for that, go ahead and buy a 58xx card then. Fermi is going to be 225W+ power draw 448 and 512SP versions. And the 448SP is already showing to be faster than the 5870 so I can't wait to see what the 512SP part does specially concidering it supposed to have higher clock than the 448SP part.

how is it faster?

in the Far Cry 2 video, it shows to be just a bit higher fps than 5870.

but remember, this game is heavily nvidia flavor, which it prove to be slower...

XMAN245

Limp Gawd
how is it faster?

in the Far Cry 2 video, it shows to be just a bit higher fps than 5870.

but remember, this game is heavily nvidia flavor, which it prove to be slower...

The guys at B3D have calculated it is in the nieghborhood of 15-20% faster in FC2 over the 5870.

eric66

Gawd
huh and where does it say that it was 448 sp model ? 300 series specs aren't finalized yet so it can be fermi with its full 512 shaders

Void

[H]ard to Tame
5870 is around 71-75fps on benchmark.

how is it 15-20% faster? where is that # pull from?
From some of the benchmarks I've seen, a single 5870 is only in the 60's range at 1920x1200. Even a single 5870 isn't even hitting 71-75fps in 1680x1050.

If you have benchmarks showing otherwise please share with me cause i didn't find them.

While I'm not too sure about the numbers the OP posted I'm sure we can pretty much realize that they better be close or better if they expect to sell them. Now the video posted I'm really not sure about cause you can even hardly hear them mention what card it is. Might be true or could be BS, we won't know till it's here.

pasta4u

Limp Gawd
Why did you post anand's tests twice ?

anyway those cpus are pretty slow 3.3ghz and 3.6ghz ? Also they are pretty old at this point too.

More to the point Anand uses fraps to test and not the built in benchmark tool shown in the mistakenly put up videos.

Anyway with almost 1b more tranistors i would hope the fermi turns out faster than ati's parts. If its not then nvidia is in serious serious trouble.

here is the same site as the hacked videos

http://www.pcper.com/images/reviews/820/farcry2-1920-bar.jpg

http://www.pcper.com/images/reviews/820/oc/farcry2-1920-bar.jpg

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=820&type=expert&pid=4

this says its with a 3.3ghz i7 .

So it looks like the 5870 will be very close to the 360gtx from nvidia at least in this game and depending on what cpu nvidia actually used the 5870 may be slightly slower or slightly faster. which is good for us as it will either force nvidia to price in line with ati or it will force ati to reduce the pricing to remain competitive and most likely launch a refresh

Last edited:

Void

[H]ard to Tame
Why did you post anand's tests twice ?

anyway those cpus are pretty slow 3.3ghz and 3.6ghz ? Also they are pretty old at this point too.

More to the point Anand uses fraps to test and not the built in benchmark tool shown in the mistakenly put up videos.

Anyway with almost 1b more tranistors i would hope the fermi turns out faster than ati's parts. If its not then nvidia is in serious serious trouble.
Yea that was a mistake on my part posting the same results 2x.
But aren't Anand using the i7 920 @ 3.3GHz? How is that slow?

Either way, I agree nVidia will really have to hope there card can put up or shut up, lol.

Niceone

Gawd
On otherhand if it's 15% faster than HD5870 now..how much faster will it be when they have release drivers ready?

pasta4u

Limp Gawd
Yea that was a mistake on my part posting the same results 2x.
But aren't Anand using the i7 920 @ 3.3GHz? How is that slow?

Either way, I agree nVidia will really have to hope there card can put up or shut up, lol.

THere are faster chips out there and nvidia will have access to faster clocked chips than any website. We don't know what the chip was paired with. IT could be on a 4ghz i7 or higher.

Also those drivers could be much older and slower than what the fermi will actually ship with.

Anyway in the end competition is best for us the consumer. So i'm all for it .

cool, now we need to see the prices of these things when they come out. BTW, isnt ATI releasing a re-fresh of the 5800 series around the time fermi comes?

dr.stevil

[H]F Junkie
pretty impressive :) I liked the idea of using raytracing for a racing games showroom

Hopefully there will be some offical news soon.

rudedog

[H]ard|Gawd
The big issue is what developer is gong to support this new hardware or will we simply be able to play old games like Crysis and Farcry faster?

Nv and ATI better start sinking $$ into game studios to push PC gaming or this is all for nothing...

These demos are great and all but when are we gonna see anything like this in a pc game soon or is for whole new market?

james__bean

Weaksauce
They actually had two GF100's on display at PDX LAN yesterday. They showed a couple slides about how its going to destroy the 5800 series in DX11 performance. They showed the car demo and a physics demo with a guy on a rocket.

shansoft

Supreme [H]ardness
From some of the benchmarks I've seen, a single 5870 is only in the 60's range at 1920x1200. Even a single 5870 isn't even hitting 71-75fps in 1680x1050.

If you have benchmarks showing otherwise please share with me cause i didn't find them.

While I'm not too sure about the numbers the OP posted I'm sure we can pretty much realize that they better be close or better if they expect to sell them. Now the video posted I'm really not sure about cause you can even hardly hear them mention what card it is. Might be true or could be BS, we won't know till it's here.

uh.... no...

they have huge downside on their CPU while its very CPU sensitive game...

Low Roller

[H]ard|Gawd
Nv and ATI better start sinking $$ into game studios to push PC gaming or this is all for nothing...
QFT.

Console ports are getting lamer and more ubiquitous by the day. So these big circle-jerks by ATI and Nvida about the "potential" of their latest GPU's are nauseating.

I'm not plopping down major $$$ for a GPU upgrade just to run some arbitrary benchmarks trying to impress people. We need games designed to use this stuff from the ground up.

XMAN245

Limp Gawd
He must be a huge NV fanboy. Unless he has solid proof.

It doesn't, but if you were at B3D and knew who to listen to, those who do know have hinted at the fact it as the 448SP part as the 512SP part will be revealed come march. And the 512 part is supposed to have higher clocks than the 448 part. that and I've heard things from RTP, NC. Nvidia has a campus there.

GoldenTiger

Fully [H]
It doesn't, but if you were at B3D and knew who to listen to, those who do know have hinted at the fact it as the 448SP part as the 512SP part will be revealed come march. And the 512 part is supposed to have higher clocks than the 448 part. that and I've heard things from RTP, NC. Nvidia has a campus there.

Yarly.

XMAN245

Limp Gawd

Yes, I'm from there, family still lives there and I know a couple guys who work there. I'm not gonna say much more than that tho, I'm not trying to cost anyone there job.

In the end when it comes to performance, Charlie is gonna look like a big fat fucking walrus turd.

shansoft

Supreme [H]ardness
Yes, I'm from there, family still lives there and I know a couple guys who work there. I'm not gonna say much more than that tho, I'm not trying to cost anyone there job.

In the end when it comes to performance, Charlie is gonna look like a big fat fucking walrus turd.

what did he say about performance?

DeadSkull

Supreme [H]ardness

So I was right in suggesting that GF104 was actually a 512SP fully clocked up Fermi chip.

:)

dderidex

Supreme [H]ardness
The hair demo impressed me the most.

I dunno, it's really not THAT much better than what they did in the Nalu demos, and that was how many years ago?

Yeah, yeah, "ray tracing", blahblah - it's true the new rendering method is more impressive (potentially) than rasterization, but so far even what they are doing in demos (IE., "years in the future") is years behind rasterized 3d graphics.

Blacklash

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm a single GPU guy. If the GF100 beats the HD 5870 by 46% in demanding titles. I'll buy one. No drama here.

A

akotlar

I'm not sure I get the Charlie hate. He's been pretty accurate these last several months. I've seen posts of his from May 09 talking about Fermi blatantly missing the Holiday cycle. He's probably wrong about Fermi not having a dedicated tesselator, but considering that he's given us something to talk about these last 6 months, and that he's been on the money about a few things is good enough for me. Or do you have some personal grudge? Did Charlie steal your girlfriend?

Omegas

[H]F Junkie
So from the information we've gathered in both speculation and raw data, the new GTX360 will be alittle slower then the HD5870 and the GTX380 will be a good bit faster... I think I've seen this movie before or maybe it's Deja'Vu? (looks for the new sarcasm punctuation..)

A

akotlar

So I was right in suggesting that GF104 was actually a 512SP fully clocked up Fermi chip.

:)

You were "right" in suggesting it (speculating) because that's what the forum is here for. But otherwise you weren't "right" as you had no foreknowledge at the time you speculated. So, from your perspective you weren't right at all.

XMAN245

Limp Gawd
I'm not sure I get the Charlie hate. He's been pretty accurate these last several months. I've seen posts of his from May 09 talking about Fermi blatantly missing the Holiday cycle. He's probably wrong about Fermi not having a dedicated tesselator, but considering that he's given us something to talk about these last 6 months, and that he's been on the money about a few things is good enough for me. Or do you have some personal grudge? Did Charlie steal your girlfriend?

The man has a history of being wrong about anything Nvidia and now because he called 2, mabe 3 things right he is to be given massive credit? That'd be like akin to giving Fudo credit even tho he is wrong most of the time even when he gets it right a few times.

Status
Not open for further replies.