Father Complaining about Size of Text on 2005fpw

hAppy

Gawd
Alright so I have a 2005fpw, I set up the desktop to be 1680x1050, the native resolution. My old man complains about how small the text is, and always changes the resolution to one of them nonwidescreen resolutions. Is there a way to thicken up the text w/o making it look abnormal and distorted? I have tried Desktop Properties and Large text, it looks funky still.

klaatu51

n00b
Have you tried Firefox? If you use it as your browser you can click on
"CTL' and '+' to make the font as large as you want it. You can virtually fill
the screen with a single letter if you choose. Hope this helps.

klaatu51

FoxhoundOp

[H]ard|Gawd
Change the DPI settings within your display settings. You may have to tweak things a little to make it look "good" but it will make the text bigger the higher you set that.

dpi3nn.jpg

WLDock

Limp Gawd
This is interesting....I wondered about this myself as I plan to get a 20" wide and have a wife that would probably compain about the same thing...she like larger fonts. Good to know there is a solution.

FoxhoundOp,
I take it you saw the Camaro at the Auto Show? Very Sweet! I thought the car was cool and all when I saw it on TV and on paper and it really was not at the top of my list of things to see but....I was drooling as I stool there watching it go round and round at the show...... :D

FoxhoundOp

[H]ard|Gawd
Yeah, man. Pictures don't do that car justice. It's so beautiful in real life man. I want one :(

thisisglen

Limp Gawd
klaatu51 said:
Have you tried Firefox? If you use it as your browser you can click on
"CTL' and '+' to make the font as large as you want it. You can virtually fill
the screen with a single letter if you choose. Hope this helps.

klaatu51

Have you tried internet explorer? You can hold CTRL and scroll the mouse wheel to do exactly the same thing.

mai9

Weaksauce
thisisglen said:
Have you tried internet explorer? You can hold CTRL and scroll the mouse wheel to do exactly the same thing.
have you tried firefox? you can install the extension TextZoom
and have a fixed increase on text size.

I also want a big font size on my also big 2405 and I use that extension and for winxp I use "accwiz.exe" a build-in program that in spanish is called something like 'accessibility wizard' ;)

__Maad__

Limp Gawd
I can't believe someone is advocating that someone's PARENT use internet explorer. Which rock have you been hiding under the last few years? Good grief.

1c3d0g

2[H]4U
Some people just don't know better. Call it ignorance if you want. :eek: Or they want to purposely make Web developers' life difficult...sigh. :(

LxT

Limp Gawd
alas, changing dpi will mess up the display of certain programs that assume you are running at standard dpi. in worst case, it may make the program unusable.

try running at a lower WS rez, like 1344x840. This is exactly 4/5 the native rez so it should scale better.

hAppy

Gawd
Thanks for all the inputs!
First off, my dad knows how to change the font size in the web browser. He's mainly complaining the desktop icon size and stuff. Before I try that DPI thing, I just want to know if it will effect the quality of my games, afterall I did build this computer just for gaming. Thanks!

klaatu51

n00b
thisisglen,
Didn't know that. If I ever dump Firefox I will try
that. Thanks.

klaatu51

synergyo1

2[H]4U
thisisglen said:

The same CTRL + Scroll can be done pn Firefox.

LxT

Limp Gawd
desktop DPI will have no effect in games, which just take over your video card anyway. So make your father happy.

You can also increase the font size for various elements in Windows, such as the text in Windows Explorer. goto control panel / display / appearance / advanced.

Elec

[H]ard|Gawd
Yep, no affect on games by doing that. For my 2005fpw, I use the Large (120 dpi) setting for fonts. I can read the smaller ones fine but considering I spend all day in front of a computer, no reason to destroy my eyes staring at small fonts when I could easily have bigger ones. That setting makes the fonts bigger, but not ridiculously so.

hAppy

Gawd
Sounds great thanks guys! The only reason I had to ask was cus the "are you sure questions" by Windows was intimidating me.

hAppy

Gawd
Ok so I installed hte cleartype and I set the DPI to Large. Now the icons on the toolbar are all distorted. How can I fix this?

1c3d0g

2[H]4U
Right-click on your Desktop ▶ Properties ▶ Appearance ▶ Advanced ▶ Active Title Bar. You have to resize it for the icons to display properly. Keep playing with the values until they look "normal". And sometimes a restart is needed to fix the resize issues. :)

Canon

2[H]4U
Also don't forget about the custom option when you are adjusting the DPI setting... You can actually choose a custom value that may be big enough but cause a bit less distortion. It's worth a shot.

jyi786

Supreme [H]ardness
This distortion stuff with DPI and text size scaling is going to be fixed in Windows Vista; Microsoft said so themselves that it really doesn't work that effectively in previous Windows variants.

hAppy

Gawd
wow this whole process is one hefty balancing act. I can't seem to get the font size to be perfect and have the icons stay smooth. It's okay though, thanks guys! Thanks for all the help!

synergyo1

2[H]4U
Couldn't you just create a seperate account for your dad with all the text size increases?

domoMKIV

[H]ard|Gawd
or pick up a cheap 17" monitor for him to use.
or tell him to get his own pc :D

mai9

Weaksauce
hAppy said:
wow this whole process is one hefty balancing act. I can't seem to get the font size to be perfect and have the icons stay smooth. It's okay though, thanks guys! Thanks for all the help!

I tried this DPI thing, and the accwiz.exe I posted before, and I prefer accwiz.exe, have you tried it? Icons aren't distorted and font size increases.

Puterplay

n00b
Thanks to this thread I am now a THRILLED owner of a new Gateway 24" monitor! The only problem I had was the internet font...now cured... thanks to all of you!

FoxhoundOp

[H]ard|Gawd
Puterplay said:
Thanks to this thread I am now a THRILLED owner of a new Gateway 24" monitor! The only problem I had was the internet font...now cured... thanks to all of you!
LOL WOW. It's been almost a year since the last reply in this thread :p At any rate, congrats on your purchase. I wish i could afford one ><

Gatticus

[H]ard|Gawd
Changing DPI can screw up some games. I've never changed DPI myself because I use a crt so don't need to but have read the readme for some games that say changing DPI will screw up the fonts in the game.