Fallout 4 VR - Official E3 Trailer

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Fallout 4 VR will be making its way to PC gamers in October of this year. You can now leave Vault 111 with the HTC Vive and it is already ready for pre-purchase on Steam. However, I was truly hoping that Bethesda would cut current Fallout 4 owners a bit of a price cut as $60 is hard to swallow twice. The video below gives a few insights as to gameplay control and travel. It will be pretty cool to have your Pip-Boy on your wrist!

Check out the video.

Fallout 4, the legendary post-apocalyptic adventure from Bethesda Game Studios and winner of more than 200 Best Of awards, including the DICE and BAFTA Game of the Year, finally comes in its entirety to VR. Fallout 4 VR includes the complete core game with all-new combat, crafting, and building systems fully reimagined for virtual reality. The freedom of exploring the wasteland comes alive like never before.

MavericK

Zero Cool
$60? Ouch...The base game itself is only selling for $40 these days. I know they need to recoup development costs but, come on, all of the assets were already made. All they had to do was integrate motion controls and probably optimize the engine a bit for VR.

Still, I feel I will be compelled to pick this up at some point (probably not for $60).

Nenu

[H]ardened
No way.
I already bought the game and have been holding off finishing it for the VR update.
I'm not paying again, screw that.

ssnyder28

2[H]4U
Sheesh they should at least cut the price in half for people that already own the base game...

Derangel

Fully [H]
It looks a bit on the janky side, but I'm really interested in seeing impressions of this from players when it comes out. The full Fallout 4 experiences in VR is an interesting idea and I hope it all works out. Though, knowing Bethesda it is going to be a buggy disaster at launch.

Dr. Righteous

2[H]4U
Crap, this is getting ridiculous. Fallout4 VR is a MOD; not a completely new game. How can they charge full price for what we can usually score for free??

HeadRusch

[H]ard|Gawd
Wow, I have to say, I'm with all of you. No way I'm paying another $60 bucks for the game I already own, on two separate systems. Then they'll ask for another $50 for Skyrim? I don't think so.

Semantics

2[H]4U
This thread is a perfect example for why enthusiasts are a poor market to cater to now of days. People demand the best but also demand that you can't profit too much from it, sorta why all those kickstarters/indiegogo's fail in long term stability the user base doesn't want to pay premium for premium.

Enthusiasts are great for identifying trends in the market, a place your company should pivot to in the coming years but they're a shitty core market.

Nenu

[H]ardened
This thread is a perfect example for why enthusiasts are a poor market to cater to now of days. People demand the best but also demand that you can't profit too much from it, sorta why all those kickstarters/indiegogo's fail in long term stability the user base doesn't want to pay premium for premium.

Enthusiasts are great for identifying trends in the market, a place your company should pivot to in the coming years but they're a shitty core market.
I'll happily pay full price for a game I havent played yet.
But this isnt right.

They could make it a DLC.
Its sure to attract new sales of Fallout 4.
Greed isnt going to win them any fans.

SeymourGore

2[H]4U
Game looks fun and well suited for VR.

The $60 pricing is a kick to the ass, though. I agree with Nenu, DLC pricing would've been easier to swallow (and would've generated additional fo4 sales). And if I'm understanding this correct, this will just be the Fallout4 core game? None of the season pass content? Bummer that.

LurkerLito

2[H]4U
I'll happily pay full price for a game I havent played yet.
But this isnt right.

They could make it a DLC.
Its sure to attract new sales of Fallout 4.
Greed isnt going to win them any fans.
What's going to be funny is when Fallout 4 VR sales tank, they are going to conclude there is no market for it, when the reality of it is, everyone wants it but doesn't want to buy the game again for the same dam price they paid the first time round for what is essentially VR mod. I'd bet a majority of VR gamers already own Fallout 4 (and probably the Season Pass).

Reactions: Nenu
like this

NickJames

Supreme [H]ardness
LOL They want $60? Guess I am waiting another year for it to be $10. Bethesda has become such a vile company milking its fan base for all they're worth.

Semantics

2[H]4U
What's going to be funny is when Fallout 4 VR sales tank, they are going to conclude there is no market for it, when the reality of it is, everyone wants it but doesn't want to buy the game again for the same dam price they paid the first time round for what is essentially VR mod. I'd bet a majority of VR gamers already own Fallout 4 (and probably the Season Pass).
There is no market, the HTC vive user base is what half a million? Maybe...You're looking to sell to what would be the equivalent of the user base of the Phillips CD-i or Atari Jaguar. How much attachment rate are you hoping for as a company? If a game or DLC only moved 100k it's a failure with the current pricing and development costs. Why do you think there is so much half assed VR in games and stand alone VR games have the depth of a teeangers facebook, it's not worth it.

It's also being sold as a stand alone product, which frankly is the more concerning part because of how does it interact with current mod base at nexus. Ofc that also probably means that all the DLC out there is integrated into the game already, given what is shown in the trailer that is likely.

DPI

[H]F Junkie
Mixed feelings on the price point, since VR *needs* full length AAA content, and this would be the first. I realize this effort took man hours, meaning it displaced man-hours and resources that BGS could've been using on new and future games - and thus had to be cost justifiable to the bean counters.

However the idea that it's "just a mod" and "didn't require much effort" is childish and presumptive. VR mods to existing games tend to be really rough and half baked affairs with lots of shit flat out broken; here the original developer is certifying the entire game end to end for VR.

As well, Bethesda isn't in the business of selling VR HMDs or infrastructure, so they could easily have done what most big publishers are doing, which is ignoring VR and keeping their resources focused on the biggest playerbases and ROI until VR matures further.

Bottom line Bethesda is breaking the vicious cycle of big publishers waiting on everyone else to do the heavy lifting of building the market and the playerbase before jumping in. And in that respect I'd say Fallout 4 VR is noteworthy even at $60.

Last edited:

Nenu

[H]ardened
There is no market, the HTC vive user base is what half a million? Maybe...You're looking to sell to what would be the equivalent of the user base of the Phillips CD-i or Atari Jaguar. How much attachment rate are you hoping for as a company? If a game or DLC only moved 100k it's a failure with the current pricing and development costs. Why do you think there is so much half assed VR in games and stand alone VR games have the depth of a teeangers facebook, it's not worth it.

It's also being sold as a stand alone product, which frankly is the more concerning part because of how does it interact with current mod base at nexus. Ofc that also probably means that all the DLC out there is integrated into the game already, given what is shown in the trailer that is likely.
VR is still in its infancy.
They should be encouraging the markets development and thats exactly what this game could do and should do.
But not the way they are doing it, this will have the opposite effect.
LurkerLito makes an important point.

ssnyder28

2[H]4U
Mixed feelings on the price point, since VR *needs* full length AAA content, and this would be the first. I realize this effort took man hours, meaning it displaced man-hours that BGS could've been using on new and future games - and thus had to be cost justifiable.

However the idea that it's "just a mod" and "should be free" is completely childish and short sighted. Bethesda isn't in the business of selling VR HMDs or infrastructure, so they could easily have done what most big publishers are doing, which is ignoring VR and keeping their resources focused on the biggest playerbases and ROI until VR matures further.

How many people said "should be free"? Don't worry i'll wait...

People are complaining because they already own the game and are being charged full price for it again.

MavericK

Zero Cool

No problem with them making a profit on this, but given what it is (a retooled implementation of an existing game) I have to wonder how much manpower really went into this considering the majority of the work was done already.

I don't believe for a second that they can't make any profit on this unless they sell it at $60. VR is a niche market for sure, but like you said you also have to understand your market - people are not paying $60 for VR versions of existing games...people are hesitant to even pay $30+ on original VR content given that most of it ends up being in the 1-2 hour range content-wise.

I would pay $30 for this, no question. But given that I already own Fallout 4 and the Season Pass...I am not paying $60 again for this.

MV75

[H]ard|Gawd
As stupid looking as all vr. Invisi-arms and floating guns! It's still as good as it was back in the 80's/90's. Yea, it's not exactly an emerging tech, it's still a joke. What would sell? Multiplayer / co-op, something they already have done but haven't released.

DPI

[H]F Junkie
How many people said "should be free"? Don't worry i'll wait...

People are complaining because they already own the game and are being charged full price for it again.

Not this thread (so far), but there's a prevailing attitude elsewhere that this should be free "cuz its just a mod". I agree it should be discounted for existing Fallout 4 owners though.

Semantics

2[H]4U
No problem with them making a profit on this, but given what it is (a retooled implementation of an existing game) I have to wonder how much manpower really went into this considering the majority of the work was done already.

I don't believe for a second that they can't make any profit on this unless they sell it at $60. VR is a niche market for sure, but like you said you also have to understand your market - people are not paying $60 for VR versions of existing games...people are hesitant to even pay $30+ on original VR content given that most of it ends up being in the 1-2 hour range content-wise.

I would pay $30 for this, no question. But given that I already own Fallout 4 and the Season Pass...I am not paying $60 again for this.
30 bucks, let's say it's a hit 100k sold that's 3 million bucks, take 20 percent off the top from distribution that's 2.4 million.
Let's say marketing is nothing, since it's not on a console that's another 10% saved each.
All that's left is developer, publisher and licensing agreements, publishers often get 30%+ leaving 1.5 million left in the pot.
Yes while Bethesda is the developer and publisher if you've ever worked in a large corporation publishing and development are separate books, hell microsoft is a prime example of how inter company politics can ruin a company in some ways.
There is heavy voice acting and musical production in fallout 4. It's unlikely that they can freely reuse all of those assets so let's lop off a forgiving 2% something that wouldn't fly in a major release but this small release maybe they can haggle well. That's 60k leaving 1.44 million for the developer.
Is 1.44 million worth tieing up company resources and payroll for? Now i have no idea what the cost of development is for properly porting to VR and this does look like a proper port not some half assed teleport everywhere port but I know that kind of money is not worth it to port between consoles for companies.

I don't have a VR headset. I have noticed in videos of VR games that in order to move, you "teleport" instead of walk. I get that, since you can not physically walk because of barriers in the real world (couch, walls, dog, etc). That being said, is it not possible to play a VR game seated, look around with your head, and control the movement of the game body like you would with a keyboard and mouse? It kind of looks like that is what is happening in the video of Fallout. If that is the case, I may be interested in picking up a Vive and this game. I never purchased Fallout 4 so I do not mind paying $60.00 for it.

MavericK

Zero Cool
30 bucks, let's say it's a hit 100k sold that's 3 million bucks, take 20 percent off the top from distribution that's 2.4 million.
Let's say marketing is nothing, since it's not on a console that's another 10% saved each.
All that's left is developer, publisher and licensing agreements, publishers often get 30%+ leaving 1.5 million left in the pot.
Yes while Bethesda is the developer and publisher if you've ever worked in a large corporation publishing and development are separate books, hell microsoft is a prime example of how inter company politics can ruin a company in some ways.
There is heavy voice acting and musical production in fallout 4. It's unlikely that they can freely reuse all of those assets so let's lop off a forgiving 2% something that wouldn't fly in a major release but this small release maybe they can haggle well. That's 60k leaving 1.44 million for the developer.
Is 1.44 million worth tieing up company resources and payroll for? Now i have no idea what the cost of development is for properly porting to VR and this does look like a proper port not some half assed teleport everywhere port but I know that kind of money is not worth it to port between consoles for companies.

Maybe...Bethesda is their own publisher, though, as you stated...the money is still all in the "family".

All I'm saying is that while this is not "just a mod", it's not really a new game, either. Somewhere in-between full price and free makes sense to me (~$30 range as stated). Especially if you already own FO4.

Chebsy

Gawd
Now that the games are coming out in VR, all we all need now is gen 2 VR hardware which costs about half price of the first gen kit to make it mainstream. :)

MaZa

2[H]4U
I don't have a VR headset. I have noticed in videos of VR games that in order to move, you "teleport" instead of walk. I get that, since you can not physically walk because of barriers in the real world (couch, walls, dog, etc). That being said, is it not possible to play a VR game seated, look around with your head, and control the movement of the game body like you would with a keyboard and mouse? It kind of looks like that is what is happening in the video of Fallout. If that is the case, I may be interested in picking up a Vive and this game. I never purchased Fallout 4 so I do not mind paying $60.00 for it.

The teleportation is a thing because apparently a big number of people get motion sickness when the game character walks forward but their real bodies balancing system does not detect any motion. Its a workaround but I find the whole teleportation idea ridiculous, I have no interest in such mechanics. Most people should be able to train themselves out of VR motion sickness and there are plenty of first person games with no teleportation mechanics to prove it.

Gasaraki_

Gawd

Freeimum is the only way to make money nowadays because nobody wants to pay $60 for a game.

However this should have been $40, not $60.

Iratus

[H]ard|Gawd
Walking motion and with hills etc, I can just see that being disorientating as fuck.

The game is too long for VR as well, you can't play more than an hour or two at a time in my experience. There's no 40 hour game that can hold my attention for long enough to complete if I'm doing an hour at time. VR definitely lends itself more to more intense experiences that are designed around the form factor.

Something like Hitman could be great for example, with fallout even if they took the VR stuff in the game (reliving the past) and did some stories from further back in the timeline, that's be cool.

I can see this being a bomb.

Flogger23m

[H]F Junkie
The biggest failing of VR for main stream games is what looks like the forced use of motion controllers. Aside from first person viewing, there is nothing really beneficial to VR. A mouse, keyboard or controller is much more efficient at playing a game than waving your hands around. And it looks so unnatural in game. Kills the point of of VR (adding immersion).

CaptNumbNutz

Fully [H]
They could have sold this as a $10 DLC and it would have gotten better reception. It's literally the same game with motion controls. All they had to do was figure out the software interface.

The biggest failing of VR for main stream games is what looks like the forced use of motion controllers. Aside from first person viewing, there is nothing really beneficial to VR. A mouse, keyboard or controller is much more efficient at playing a game than waving your hands around. And it looks so unnatural in game. Kills the point of of VR (adding immersion).
I take it you've never actually played VR. The whole point is the motion controllers combined with the headset. You can't just do the headset as it leaves out the interactivity. You can't just do the motion controllers (ala Nintendo Wii/Switch) without the headset as that leaves out the full immersion into the world.

It's virtual reality. By definition you should be mimicking the same motions as real life. The immersion factor when everything comes together is incredible. When it works properly, you ARE THERE in that other world. The first time you experience that it will blow your mind.

heatlesssun

Extremely [H]
It's still as good as it was back in the 80's/90's.

That's like saying conventional gaming is just as good as it was in the 80's and 90's. While VR isn't cheap, many of those systems were far more expensive than a Vive or Rift. And VR benefits directly from current GPU directly that's infinitely more powerful today.

HeadRusch

[H]ard|Gawd

It's only of value to people who have *already* delivered the Leap Of Faith to purchase $800+ worth of hardware, so while they may want to sell-it standalone as part of the Fallout 4 package, for the rest of us who already own the game there should be (if not outright gratis) maybe a $14.99 or $19.99 surcharge, you know I'd be willing to kick that in. But full price is insulting if you already own the base game and it's DLC. They did a reasonable upgrade cost/path for Skyrim owners, this should be treated similarly.

ol1bit

[H]ard|Gawd
I hope they give a deal for existing Fallout 4 owners, I just pre-ordered it on steam. I just got Dead Effect 2 VR the other day for $17.99, and love it! A full VR FPS game! I think VR owners are just hungry for a real games converted to VR. The next one on my list I like for a FPS is Serious Same VR the First Encounter. Old games bring an entire new way to play and have fun in VR! Maybe it's because I've played games since 1978, did 3d glasses, etc., but VR is so cool. I've had my Vive for over a year, but messing with Doom 3 in VR and the fairly recent VR FPS major titles is very exciting.

N4CR

Supreme [H]ardness
And this is why I don't buy Bethesda games until they are at least one year + old.

1) Bugs
2) Bugs
3) Bugs
4) Glorious mods are available
5) GOTY edition is cheaper/better and costs less being patient and playing the 100k other games on PC
6) Or when they drop GOTY and do stuff like this

daglesj

Supreme [H]ardness
I reckon they only imagine a few hundred folks will buy it anyway. It's a tech tester. The price will keep the initial flood of issues from customers lower till the kinks get sorted.

HeavensCloud

Oswego, not shitty as Buffalo
I could imagine a surprise Deathclaw jumping at you being fun in VR. I don't own a headset, but this would be an awesome game for it.