Did I damage my i9 12900k

Stanley14

n00b
Hi all
So I very stupidly put a system together with said processor and a rog maximus formula motherboard.. installed some M.2 ssd’s, got some fans linked up, memory in, psu in… I flicked it all on to check the mother board lighted up and stuff a few times for maybe 45 seconds - 1min, I did this perhaps 3/4 times in the space of a couple hours (with only the cpu water block installed no water) I then though I’d see if it Posted and went into bios so I connected a monitor and yes it went into the bios ok all seemed fine… as soon as I noticed cpu temp 88 I switched it off straight away and have not put on since… i know it was prettty stupid now but I didn’t realise it would heat up so quick without being under any load.. I will have liquid flowing on Tuesday so I can try again… thoughts anyone?

Last edited:

Stanley14

n00b
You likely didn’t damage anything but I wouldn’t continue until it is cooled proper. And actually bios puts the cpu under a load more than you’d think.
Yea I know now for sure..thanks for the reply .. will never do that again.. I’m assuming the cpu would shut its self down to prevent damage right ?

cpufrost

Limp Gawd
Nope, it won't harm it at all.
If anything the heat helps speed up the settling in of the TIM! ;-)

I can't tell how many times I forgot to start the pump on my 3990 system!
One time I was in Windows for over 10 minutes before I realized it, the OLED on the mobo was showing 93C.
I kicked the pump on and watched it drop to 23 in 2 seconds. Gotta love Heatkiller blocks.
But they still need water! ;-)

Stanley14

n00b
No no, pump was not connected at all..I should have it piped up in the next couple days, just a simple loop to the cpu so I can get windows installed and sort out the lighting.. possibly next week I’ll have a GPU in the loop too 😊

This is the stage I’m at

Attachments

• 73441113-F5D3-4F9E-BC2A-F88E43C9B5D6.jpeg
    73441113-F5D3-4F9E-BC2A-F88E43C9B5D6.jpeg
    582.3 KB · Views: 1

LigTasm

Supreme [H]ardness
You hurt nothing. I have done it for years testing. CPUs shut down nowadays before they self-immolate.

Listen to the head honcho, it'll be fine. I have a computer room at work with about 40 dual xeon systems in it that do optical recognition work, one of them was running slow and throwing errors for a while and when I opened it up I found that the heatsinks were never screwed in and weren't even touching the IHS. For like 4 years. Still runs fine. It will just throttle down until it shuts off.

sabrewolf732

Supreme [H]ardness
No no, pump was not connected at all..I should have it piped up in the next couple days, just a simple loop to the cpu so I can get windows installed and sort out the lighting.. possibly next week I’ll have a GPU in the loop too 😊

This is the stage I’m at
Looks great!

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
I opened it up I found that the heatsinks were never screwed in and weren't even touching the IHS. For like 4 years. Still runs fine. It will just throttle down until it shuts off.
That tells him about all he needs to know.

NukeDukem

2[H]4U
FYI 88c is no biggie for these processors. They'll easily hit 100c in OC stress testing. I don't even bother overclocking mine. It gets too toasty and I see little to no performance gains. But like others said, you didn't hurt anything. :)

Reactions: Elios
like this

Stanley14

n00b
Thanks for all the replies
All seems ok-ish… got a loop going on the processor only for now, temp stayed at 30degrees C in the bios, although the chipset was showing 60degrees C in the bios… loaded windows 11 and the Corsair icue software (not the easiest I must say), on the monitor tab I’m getting one motherboard reading showing 127 degrees C which is a bit of a worry so I need to find out what that is, something can’t be right there…is there a better program for monitoring temps in windows?

Might need to find the chipset forum or I may get told off again for going off topic