Dell 30" vs 120hz for gaming?

WorldExclusive

[H]F Junkie
Why buy monitors (wide gamut 30", especially single input options) meant to be used with color managed programs then? Consumer media (games, movies, tv, web) does not use the Adobe RGB color space.

Come on man.

Most people see IPS and they assume it's a great monitor. Yes, it goes much deeper than that, but for most that's good enough.
I doubt some know the difference between e-IPS, S-IPS and H-IPS.

Options can get complicated and expensive very quickly if a person decides to get into professional color management monitors, NEC being the main vendor.
At that point, gaming performance is probably at the bottom of the needs list.

Most consumers want an all-around performer so high refresh rates, low input lag, and great colors are usually the general requirements.
Color gamut, 8 vs 10 bit color, various panel types and color profiles goes right over consumers heads.

Bluesun311

2[H]4U
We are using semi-pro tools. Good performance at a reasonable price.
You're touting near broadcast level monitors, people who need precise color management.

We want to play games and edit video.

Come on man.

It's not so much on the consumers, it's the manufacturers that are being douches. They know most consumers won't know the difference between a wide gamut and a standard gamut display, and they won't have to make both if they just spit out the necessary ARGB tools for the discerning few (and so companies like NEC and EIZO can make the super binned out $8000 displays).

To be fair he was responding to whoever asked what the 1% of "good" 30" LCDs are. And he's not even selling them as gaming monitors, he's saying they are the only ones that aren't at least pretty badly flawed in one way or another and they are all really expensive. Often it comes out kinda like he's making fun of the engineers and the folks who are most vociferous in their defense of their purchases. If someone hasn't made a purchase yet, they take this stuff a lot less personal. If you own the 3007 and he's bashing it, it kinda stings-

To be completely fair the displays he most commonly steers people toward are relatively inexpensive. He's not saying go bigger and pricier, he's saying go cheaper and better value if you are in the market right now.

WorldExclusive

[H]F Junkie
Makes sense.

In that case, the OP should try either a 1440p monitor or a 120Hz monitor.
I'm sure the OP will choose the 1440p monitor. I really liked the U2711 and Catleaps I've owned.
But the OP should find monitors that can be calibrated and are more reliable.

Bluesun311

2[H]4U
Having used for PC gaming (within the last year) a 42" Sony Bravia, a 32" and 40" Vizio M series, a pair of Asus VG278HE's, 5 Eizo FG2421s ;) , and now a Qnix Qx2710--I can, without hesitation, confirm that NCX is not blind as a bat and correctly picked the Qnix as the best all around gaming monitor, right now. Now if you can't play games at 1440p, then you're screwed. It's an FG2421 or a TN for you. We're moving on by 60Hz now. People who've seen decent motion clarity tech like Lightboost or just 96Hz on a Qnix won't go back without a good week in the hills no computer allowed.

Take all this with a grain of salt, both NCX and I got "good" Qnix's. They don't really require calibration (how could a display not be calibrated), the color is damn near spot on out of the box, just lower the brightness. They also don't usually have pwm--I think mine does, but it doesn't bother me--it fails the cell phone test but I'm not sure if that is for real or not. The flicker free AOC I had on my desk until yesterday made my eyes water, so who knows. Anyway they are pretty specialized displays because they are DVI only, so they don't work for everyone. But jeez guys, 27 vs 30 this is not worth pacing around the store all day over. Just move the 27 closer. Kinda the point about the 16:9 vs 16:10 thing, too... at least for games that have no 16:10 FOV it's a loss, if I understand that post from the last page correctly.

WorldExclusive

[H]F Junkie
Hows the Matte on the Qnix? Do they have a glossy version? Do the majority OC via the Nvidia panel?

Bluesun311

2[H]4U
Easy to OC on either platform. The "matte" is a nice semi glossy but the full gloss versions are either gone or expensive.

WorldExclusive

[H]F Junkie
The Qnix sounds like a winner. I stand corrected, Blue and NCX.

I'll buy one next week and place it by my U3011. One will stay and the other will go.
Since I design in the sRGB space(Web), I'm very interested in the color accuracy of the Qnix.

Usually people who own good monitors are.

Right

The only people worth laughing at in this thread are the 30" owners who clearly do not understand the products they purchase.

Not really. When I bought the 3007, there was no such thing as a 27" at half the price. I mainly wanted the increase in resolution. The higher the vertical workspace, the better. A bigger screen is enormously useful in Solidworks. I'll leave the coloring to someone else, lol.

The 3007 lacks an sRGB mode as well as hardware calibration, so the gamut can not be 'calibrated'. The only way to get it to display colors properly is to use programs which support color management, and games, most movie playback software do not, and
color management usually needs to be manually enabled in web browsers.

You can calibrate it and put a profile in the video drivers. The U3014 has hardware calibration btw.

[...] If someone hasn't made a purchase yet, they take this stuff a lot less personal. If you own the 3007 and he's bashing it, it kinda stings-

No it doesn't. But for new buyers it kinda does make sense to buy two 27" for the same money. I don't take any of this stuff personal. The only thing I can be bothered with is stupid trends that reduce productivity, like the 16:9 screen in my "workstation" laptop. After a few hours of zooming and scrolling a 16:10 30" is very much relaxing to work at.

NCX

Supreme [H]ardness
You can calibrate it and put a profile in the video drivers.

Programs need to support color management to use ICC profiles properly and ICC profiles can't change a monitors color gamut.

The U3014 has hardware calibration btw.

The xx14 monitors hardware calibration does not work properly and the overshoot ghosting even shows up when scrolling text or moving windows slowly.

Last edited:

dpoverlord

[H]ard|Gawd
Curious to hear what you ended up getting as I have 4 of them and have considered switching out but after being on 4 U301 30* monitors its hard to go back to anything smaller.

I've been using the WFP3007 for a few years, just ordered up the 27" Asus Swift monitor, looking forward to the comparison. :)