Corsair Obsidian Series 800D

Redbeard

Official Corsair Rep.
I'm sure Redbeard is tired of hearing though ... sorry! :D

Actually I have heard about the same number of people saying we should have more hard drives and less optical drives.

Can't please everyone. I tried to make it plausible for most people. 6 hard drives, 5 optical drives was pretty competitive at the time for similarly priced cases.

Dan_D

Extremely [H]
Actually I have heard about the same number of people saying we should have more hard drives and less optical drives.

Can't please everyone. I tried to make it plausible for most people. 6 hard drives, 5 optical drives was pretty competitive at the time for similarly priced cases.

I can't see a need for more than 2 optical drives but even then the 5 1/4" bays are useful for more than just mounting optical drives. So I think you've got a good balance on both counts. If nothing else hard drives can still be mounted inside the 5 1/4" drive bays, but you couldn't mount optical drives or anything that's normally used in a 5 1/4" bay in hard drive specific bays.

SirKronan

Supreme [H]ardness

I appreciate that, but you please both crowds when devices such as these exist:
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...Bay_to_Triple_35_HDD_Cooling_Box_HD-AR-B.html

I can't see a need for more than 2 optical drives but even then the 5 1/4" bays are useful for more than just mounting optical drives. So I think you've got a good balance on both counts. If nothing else hard drives can still be mounted inside the 5 1/4" drive bays, but you couldn't mount optical drives or anything that's normally used in a 5 1/4" bay in hard drive specific bays.

Exactly. With two of those external 5.25 bays I can install three hard drives with a $24 part if I wish (there are probably more alternatives out there that might even be cheaper). There's no reason not to please both crowds. Your cooling potential and flexibility of options GREATLY increase when there are more external bays - whether people are going to cool with air or liquid.

XNeKoSX

Weaksauce
Just got my 800D and could not be happier. This thing is a monster and the cable management is amazing. I have no need to replace this case ever unless they decide to double the length of the GPU's (which is insane and won't happen).

Redbeard

Official Corsair Rep.

drstk

Supreme [H]ardness
been itching to get one for a month. I finally bit! I hope this be the last case I would ever need (for the price i paid). I also bought the H50 with this since people are saying this box sucks for Air cooling.

Cant wait:D

Silverghost

2[H]4U
I was going to say what is already pointed out. You can put hard drives in optical bays but not the other way around. The case is perfect Redbeard. Except for being so huge! Don't know if I could ever have one.

SeaFoam

Supreme [H]ardness
Has anyone found a 5.25 fan controller that looks good in this case? Or tried those little light up pyramid fan controllers? Or maybe a fan controller with a windows app?

SirKronan

Supreme [H]ardness
Has anyone found a 5.25 fan controller that looks good in this case? Or tried those little light up pyramid fan controllers? Or maybe a fan controller with a windows app?

The Kaze Server is my top recommendation. It is white, rather than blue, but not too bright, and unlike the blue non-server models the lights can be shut off completely and normal operation will still continue. It can run 1 amp per channel, which means you can usually run three of most fans on it all the way up to max. It comes with four temperature sensors and offers both automatic and manual fan adjustment. Both Mr. Armageddon and I have it. He has reported being happy with his, and I have been very happy with mine so far. And if a fan dies it starts loudly beeping at you.

Plus the front is black aluminum, so it matches the case fairly well. The price is not too bad, but I think I payed a few bucks less for mine, and got free shipping on it, so you might want to shop around.

Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811998063

nite0

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a Scythe Kaze Master that I think matches reasonably well. The Lamptron FC-5 also looks like it might work well.

utnorris

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey, what tubing is that? Think the red looks pretty good. Have been contemplating red or white for my 2nd loop, but red will look better I think. Using the PrimoFlex LRT Pro black tubing currently, but the red doesn't look that good in the box in person. Wondering what brand is in yours?

Red seems to be the most flaky color when it comes to WC, is hard to find a true red color under UV or natural light.
I'll check out the ones you have also.

Cool thx, looks good installed. Will go with that too.

So just an update on that tubing guys. I swapped out the 3/8" ID, 1/2" OD with 3/8" ID, 5/8" OD, same brand and make and the tubing looks duller. I think the reason why is that the thinner walled tubing is more transparent and the color seems to be better. Just a heads up for those looking at this tubing.

BeavermanA

2[H]4U
So just an update on that tubing guys. I swapped out the 3/8" ID, 1/2" OD with 3/8" ID, 5/8" OD, same brand and make and the tubing looks duller. I think the reason why is that the thinner walled tubing is more transparent and the color seems to be better. Just a heads up for those looking at this tubing.

Thx for the info. Maybe that is why it looked bad to me as I was looking at the 3/8-5/8 as that is what my current tubing is.

What was your reason for swapping? I thought I read it was better to have a thinner OD, or at least it looks better from opinions. The reason I got the 5/8 OD was the 1/2 was sold out and I didn't want to have everything except my tubing so just had them ship it with the rest of my order.

Wests

Weaksauce
Wow, Microcenter has the 800D for about $240 shipped if you happen to live in one of the states they don't charge tax in!

SirKronan

Supreme [H]ardness

Thanks for the tip. I originally planned on going with 3/8 ID 1/2 OD. This confirms my plan. I know it's a little wimpier and can kink easier, but I'll be careful, and I'm going for the cleanest look possible inside. The thicker the tubing, the more it will annoy me. I know I'm strange, but that's just the look I prefer! :D

utnorris

[H]ard|Gawd
Thx for the info. Maybe that is why it looked bad to me as I was looking at the 3/8-5/8 as that is what my current tubing is.

What was your reason for swapping? I thought I read it was better to have a thinner OD, or at least it looks better from opinions. The reason I got the 5/8 OD was the 1/2 was sold out and I didn't want to have everything except my tubing so just had them ship it with the rest of my order.

Thanks for the tip. I originally planned on going with 3/8 ID 1/2 OD. This confirms my plan. I know it's a little wimpier and can kink easier, but I'll be careful, and I'm going for the cleanest look possible inside. The thicker the tubing, the more it will annoy me. I know I'm strange, but that's just the look I prefer! :D

I swapped it out because I had some tight bends, so I wanted the thicker walled tubing. It still looks good, but not quite as good. I will be posting some pics hopefully this weekend to give you a better idea.

xcowboy

n00b
I am using NZXT Sentry 2 with the case, it matches tho color perfectly.

x509

2[H]4U
Or maybe a fan controller with a windows app?

Meaning, a fan controller that connects up to the motherboard (USB ?) where the fan speed/temp settings can be controlled by an MS WIndows app? Yes? That would be nice!

Can this app also record fan speed and temp history? That would be outstanding. :D

SirKronan

Supreme [H]ardness
Meaning, a fan controller that connects up to the motherboard (USB ?) where the fan speed/temp settings can be controlled by an MS WIndows app? Yes? That would be nice!

Can this app also record fan speed and temp history? That would be outstanding. :D

I second this question. Does anyone know of any currently available fan controllers that offer software controlled monitoring? I know there's one that requires ESA, but a USB one that works with other Windows system monitoring tools, such as Everest or RealTemp, etc. would be awesome.

stonyc

Limp Gawd
Just bought an 800D for $223 at Microcenter... couple thoughts so far (as I'm waiting for the rest of my parts to come tomorrow):

- The front panel? Maybe I'm weak as hell, but it was not easy to remove. That leads to...
- The bottom dust shield? Broke in half as I pulled the front panel off. As I was pulling up and forward on the front panel, I was pushing down on top of the case (just before the top fan grills) to keep the case from lifting up as I was pulling. Well, at some point the dust shield fell out the back and I'll admit this is my fault, I stopped pushing down on the case to see what had fallen out and in the process the front panel came off and the case tipped backwards, snapping the dust shield.

I'm sure as I get more used to the case, I'll become more familiar with how to remove and adjust things without something snapping in half. The dust shield has a retention mechanism to keep it from falling out the bottom of the case... but perhaps a clip could be added to the dust shield or the existing framework that holds it in to also keep it from moving backwards or forwards (especially during transit)?

Other than that, I'm really impressed with all of the cable management options and the case overall. But perhaps in the next revision of this case, an easier method for removing the front panel could be included and the aforementioned dust shield movement issue could be addressed?

Anyways, just my two cents...

Omerta

[H]ard|Gawd
Just bought an 800D for $223 at Microcenter... couple thoughts so far (as I'm waiting for the rest of my parts to come tomorrow):

- The front panel? Maybe I'm weak as hell, but it was not easy to remove. That leads to...
- The bottom dust shield? Broke in half as I pulled the front panel off. As I was pulling up and forward on the front panel, I was pushing down on top of the case (just before the top fan grills) to keep the case from lifting up as I was pulling. Well, at some point the dust shield fell out the back and I'll admit this is my fault, I stopped pushing down on the case to see what had fallen out and in the process the front panel came off and the case tipped backwards, snapping the dust shield.

I'm sure as I get more used to the case, I'll become more familiar with how to remove and adjust things without something snapping in half. The dust shield has a retention mechanism to keep it from falling out the bottom of the case... but perhaps a clip could be added to the dust shield or the existing framework that holds it in to also keep it from moving backwards or forwards (especially during transit)?

Other than that, I'm really impressed with all of the cable management options and the case overall. But perhaps in the next revision of this case, an easier method for removing the front panel could be included and the aforementioned dust shield movement issue could be addressed?

Anyways, just my two cents...

front panel is easy to take off. the case just needs to be on a very stable surface...not some cheap Ikea desk while you do it. You were probably way too rough with it. But I do agree that an easier way to take it off should be implemented...still takes more force than I'd like...

stonyc

Limp Gawd
front panel is easy to take off. the case just needs to be on a very stable surface...not some cheap Ikea desk while you do it. You were probably way too rough with it. But I do agree that an easier way to take it off should be implemented...still takes more force than I'd like...
Hey, I have an Ikea desk. ;) But it was on the floor... and I'll admit I was probably too rough, but only because with one hand pushing down to keep it from coming up off the ground, and the other lifting on the panel as described in the manual... front panel wouldn't budge. :)

There are plenty of things that I like about the case, even just mid-way through this build though.

SeaFoam

Supreme [H]ardness
The Kaze Server is my top recommendation. It is white, rather than blue, but not too bright, and unlike the blue non-server models the lights can be shut off completely and normal operation will still continue. It can run 1 amp per channel, which means you can usually run three of most fans on it all the way up to max. It comes with four temperature sensors and offers both automatic and manual fan adjustment. Both Mr. Armageddon and I have it. He has reported being happy with his, and I have been very happy with mine so far. And if a fan dies it starts loudly beeping at you.

Plus the front is black aluminum, so it matches the case fairly well. The price is not too bad, but I think I payed a few bucks less for mine, and got free shipping on it, so you might want to shop around.

Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811998063

Do you have a pic of it installed and running? Same with the NZXT Sentry 2?

SirKronan

Supreme [H]ardness
Do you have a pic of it installed and running? Same with the NZXT Sentry 2?

This is from Mr. Armageddon's rig:

3978171888_65f6e936c9_b.jpg

3976364605_c2017a8fa4_b.jpg

The Kaze Server uses white lights, even though in the photos they look kind of blue. It doesn't look that blue in real life.

BeavermanA

2[H]4U
Hey, I have an Ikea desk. ;) But it was on the floor... and I'll admit I was probably too rough, but only because with one hand pushing down to keep it from coming up off the ground, and the other lifting on the panel as described in the manual... front panel wouldn't budge. :)

There are plenty of things that I like about the case, even just mid-way through this build though.

You guys need to load it up with watercooling gear, mine comes off with the weight of the loaded case, I remember it being kinda hard when it was empty.

It just takes a quick clean jerk from the bottom to remove. Simply place your hand on the top of the front panel to prevent the case from moving. (If empty, no need if not.)

Kaldskryke

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm more than a little tempted to buy this case, although I can't seem to find a good deal on it in Canada. Things that are holding me back include:
1) Not compatible with the Antec SG850 PSU. It's the Antec's fault, of course, but I don't want to replace the unit as it has been very solid thus far.
2) The top of the case is stamped inwards which makes it a lot more difficult to expand to a 120.4 style radiator.
3) Power/reset buttons not (re)movable. Gets in the way of expanding to a 120.4 radiator.

So I end up waffling between this (with far superior cable management) or the good ol' TJ07 with all that radiator room in the bottom, or maybe something entirely custom...

I think I'll wait, maybe something new will show up copying 800D's cable management.

Last edited:

Redbeard

Official Corsair Rep.
I'm more than a little tempted to buy this case, although I can't seem to find a good deal on it in Canada. Things that are holding me back include:
1) Not compatible with the Antec SG850 PSU. It's the Antec's fault, of course, but I don't want to replace the unit as it has been very solid thus far.
2) The top of the case is stamped inwards which makes it a lot more difficult to expand to a 120.4 style radiator.
3) Power/reset buttons not (re)movable. Gets in the way of expanding to a 120.4 radiator.

1 - Cases manufactured after November should have this problem fixed. Just about any inventory in Canada (specifically NCIX and Canada Computers) should have this problem resolved.

2 - done for structural strength, it's a long, flat panel, without the indentation it was wobbly and flexed too much.

3 - Legitimate - sorry man! We'll keep it in mind for future products.

Drelnor

n00b
Redbeard,

First, thanks for building such an amazing case! I just got my system built not long ago and I went with the 800D. Everything went in and fit great too! :D

The problem I'm having is some pretty excessive vibration issues, with using the 3 120mm fan slots on the top of the case. I'm using these bad boys:

AeroCool XtremeTurbine-120mm
Bearing Type: Sleeve
RPM: 1800 RPM ± 10%
Airflow: 89.39 CFM
Dimensions: 120 x 120 x 25mm

I went with these, along with their 140mm big brothers; since I chose to utilize an air cooling solution and needed the higher CFM rating. (Which works awesome! Despite the case being tailored toward a liquid cooling solution.)

My question is: Do you know how i can get 3 rubber vibration pads (for 120mm fans) like the ones that came with the stock 140mm fans, provided by Corsair? I spent about 3 hours rummaging the corsair store and website, but to no avail... :(

Thanks for any information or help you can provide.
Josh

termite

Supreme [H]ardness
Redbeard,

First, thanks for building such an amazing case! I just got my system built not long ago and I went with the 800D. Everything went in and fit great too! :D

The problem I'm having is some pretty excessive vibration issues, with using the 3 120mm fan slots on the top of the case. I'm using these bad boys:

AeroCool XtremeTurbine-120mm
Bearing Type: Sleeve
RPM: 1800 RPM ± 10%
Airflow: 89.39 CFM
Dimensions: 120 x 120 x 25mm

I went with these, along with their 140mm big brothers; since I chose to utilize an air cooling solution and needed the higher CFM rating. (Which works awesome! Despite the case being tailored toward a liquid cooling solution.)

My question is: Do you know how i can get 3 rubber vibration pads (for 120mm fans) like the ones that came with the stock 140mm fans, provided by Corsair? I spent about 3 hours rummaging the corsair store and website, but to no avail... :(

Thanks for any information or help you can provide.
Josh

Try another online store for something like this.

http://www.xoxide.com/vibdampener1.html

or this style,

http://www.coolerguys.com/840556069416.html

or better yest, this would be about perfect, once it gets back in stock, just e-mail Gary he will let you know when it comes back in.

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/thtr3xregafo.html

Omerta

[H]ard|Gawd
I am probably going to complete my build on monday with the parts/specs below in my sig. I am just waiting on Windows 7 ultimate to arrive...but I couldn't help but fiddle around with the case today...
I installed a fan controller in it today...gotta say the tool-less installation for the drive bays work well for full 5.25 inch drives like my blu-ray drive...but they blow for things such as fan controllers. I had to manually screw my fan controller in because the tool-less system couldn't secure it well enough to my liking...and corsair did not even provide the screws to do so...had to get my own. That's all I did so far...lol...install the blu-ray drive, sleeved the fan controller and installed it.

Anyway...I am going to be mounting some fans at the top...gonna use all three of the slots and I'm gonna have them all be intake...I think that will work very well for aircooling. All the air can be exhausted through the GPU/PCI slots plus the exhaust fan corsair already provides. It should create a positive airflow kind of thing like in the FT01. Will post more impressions on the case and this on monday after I finish my build (hopefully)

Omerta

[H]ard|Gawd
OK...so I finally built my PC in it...though it's not 100% done (still waiting on windows 7)...just put everything together kind of quickly and checked to see if it posted...everything went fine.

Anyway here are my thoughts on the case:

Build Quality

The build quality is pretty good for the most part...but there are some things that annoy me. The front panel door for the front panel connectors (such as USB etc) is cheap and I wouldn't be surprised if it breaks after a while. Also why is the reset button inside the front panel with the front panel connectors? That is silly. Another thing that annoys me is the dust filter at the bottom. For one you can't pull it from the front, second of all, the way it enters and goes in bothers me. I wish it had a mesh backplate instead of no backplate at all. Another thing...that has never happened to me before...one of the power switch wires suddenly came out its connector. Not a big deal..I just reconnected it to its slot in the connector...but still that has never happened to me before, and I've worked with a LOT of cases.

Other than the above, the build quality is very good. The case is overall very sturdy...

I'd give it an 8/10 when it comes to build quality.

Features:

Cable Management

Obviously...the most know feature is all the holes for cable management. It works great for the most part...but I do wish the two holes next to the PSU in the bottom chamber were just one big hole...that would have made things a little bit easier. One of the holes got too crowded for my liking...other than that...this is the best cable management case on the market..

Four Sata Hot-Swap Drive Bay

This works amazingly well. The drive trays are of VERY good build quality...best I've seen in a case yet...much better than what Lian Li or what SilverStone have in their own cases. Though they don't provide screws to install SSD drives in them. My SSD drive is OEM so it did not come with its own screws, thus I had to find my own. Corsair should provide some. They only provide proper screws for the hard drives. Other than that...this is the best implementation I've seen...

Tool-less installation for 5.25 drive bays:

I don't like it. It could not properly work with my fan controller and I had to screw it myself. My FT01 and Lian Li PC-B10 and B-70 all worked with this fan controller and they have tool-less installation, too.

But even so...Lian Li, SilverStone, Corsair or whoever should implement it the way Zalman did on their GT1000. What Zalman did was provide thumb screws already connected to the drive bay and on both sides...and you just had to screw it in with your thumbs/fingers. The good thing about this is that you can screw it on both sides and it ALWAYS works. Hopefully corsair implements something like this on their next version.

Now this is all I can write for now...still haven't even connected the side panels yet...but after the build is 100% complete I will post the rest of my thoughts...

guitarslingerchris

Supreme [H]ardness
I second this question. Does anyone know of any currently available fan controllers that offer software controlled monitoring? I know there's one that requires ESA, but a USB one that works with other Windows system monitoring tools, such as Everest or RealTemp, etc. would be awesome.

I'm actually working with a friend to make one that controls both fans and CCFLs and LEDs. The first prototype should be done by Thursday and we may start selling them to parties interested, but currently we're connecting them through COM ports.

We can custom make them to your specs within reason, I personally am leaving the tach monitoring off of the first one simply because I don't need that particular information for this case. Hopefully after the first is done we can show what's possible.

CCFL Software Dimming test

And here is my 800D build that's in progress still.

Project: Cobalt

Omerta

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm actually working with a friend to make one that controls both fans and CCFLs and LEDs. The first prototype should be done by Thursday and we may start selling them to parties interested, but currently we're connecting them through COM ports.

We can custom make them to your specs within reason, I personally am leaving the tach monitoring off of the first one simply because I don't need that particular information for this case. Hopefully after the first is done we can show what's possible.

CCFL Software Dimming test

And here is my 800D build that's in progress still.

Project: Cobalt

is that app in the video coded in vb.net? :(

spike99

Weaksauce
OK, So I bought the 800D. Well after installing all components and go to power on PC nothing happens... no power. My first inclination was that something was up with either my PSU or MOBO. Both checked out.. and it turns out that the power switch on the case is faulty. Just my luck... I had to uninstall all components and install everything on my older case.... In the process of RMA'ing case but luckily newegg is paying for shipping.

When I get replacement... I'll make sure power switch is working before I do a full install....

x_MaGiuS_x

Gawd
Im looking to order one of these cases today. Just wondering what the best price currently is?

I found it on newegg for $269.99 AR w/ free shipping and that was the best I could do.

Anyone know of a cheaper place?

Dan_D

Extremely [H]
Im looking to order one of these cases today. Just wondering what the best price currently is?

I found it on newegg for $269.99 AR w/ free shipping and that was the best I could do.

Anyone know of a cheaper place?

Microcenter has them for $223.99 in store. I don't know if you can get them on their website for that or not.

x_MaGiuS_x

Gawd
Unfortunately you can't get them from Microcenter online and the nearest store to me is about a 2 hour drive