Core i7 920 for $199.. good deal?

Aaron11

[H]ard|Gawd
That's a crazy good deal. Sadly, I don't have a Microcenter near me (all my cheap computer parts come from Newegg :)) Even if I did have one near me, I probably wouldn't get one just because I'm in a budget crunch right now. Either way, it would be good just to buy it and put it for auction on ebay and probably make a couple bucks.

wildzcardz

Limp Gawd
I wish I had a MC near me too, I got mine off Ebay. This will be my 2nd build and I am super stoked about the 920 becuase of all the great reviews for it.

freakyhair

Limp Gawd
I'm heading to MN in two weeks for a business trip, and considering picking one of these up at MC. The only problem is that I live in OR. So if I get home, and the processor is bad, what do I do? Ship it back for a refund? Or would Intel cover me?

Prophecy

Weaksauce
I'm in a similar situation. I'm traveling to Kansas City in a couple of weeks and I plan to pick one up while I am there. I am also curious as to what I would do if the processor was bad.

g1xx3r

Supreme [H]ardness
Saw this thread in the nick of time as I was about to pay for one elsewhere for way more money.. :)

Damar

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm heading to MN in two weeks for a business trip, and considering picking one of these up at MC. The only problem is that I live in OR. So if I get home, and the processor is bad, what do I do? Ship it back for a refund? Or would Intel cover me?

I'm in a similar situation. I'm traveling to Kansas City in a couple of weeks and I plan to pick one up while I am there. I am also curious as to what I would do if the processor was bad.

You do realize how slim the odds are of that happening?

I would read up on the MC return policy as some places won't take back a CPU once the box is opened, for any reason, forcing you to go through the manufacturer (Intel in this case). Just make sure you mount the cooling properly because they won't help you in any case if the chip shows thermal damage.

I'd bet a years salary you wouldn't get a bad CPU though. (Granted I'm out of work atm, so that amounts to diddly squat). :D

Prophecy

Weaksauce
You do realize how slim the odds are of that happening?

I would read up on the MC return policy as some places won't take back a CPU once the box is opened, for any reason, forcing you to go through the manufacturer (Intel in this case). Just make sure you mount the cooling properly because they won't help you in any case if the chip shows thermal damage.

I'd bet a years salary you wouldn't get a bad CPU though. (Granted I'm out of work atm, so that amounts to diddly squat). :D

Hah, I am perfectly aware at how slim the odds are. It's just nagging thought way in the back of my head.

Ron FTL

[H]ard|Gawd
What I'm amazed at is the fact that this CPU with a P6T and 6GB of memory costs MORE now than it did a year ago
Glad I picked my combo up at the time.

I am actually surprised the i7-920 has kept up its price/performance value for so long. Its be a few weeks shy of a year that I have had my current system and prices have actually went up.
I am so glad I went with this processor and ram. I almost purchased a PII 720be, man I would of regretted that in the long run...

Took the LIRR from midtown to Westbury, walked a mile each way to microcenter for this deal. Thank you microcenter!:D

l0x

Limp Gawd
I just picked up my 920 D0 at Microcenter's Madison Heights MI store for $199.

nerdydesi

[H]ard|Gawd

When I built my PC last year (very first build), I got almost all the parts at Microcenter (except for GPU and PSU at Frys). I had gotten a Core 2 Quad and an EVGA FTW motherboard with an Nforce chipset. No matter what I did, the darn thing just wouldn't POST.

MC was nice enough to take them back with no hassle and I paid just a bit more to upgrade to an i7. I was very grateful for MC to take back the parts and they've earned my business now for at least a year now. :)

FalconSS

[H]ard|Gawd
had to drive 3 hours ( to dallas ) but picked one up. Wanted to take a look at frys and microcenter anyway so me and my tech buddy loaded up and made a techy roadtrip out of it.

E4g1e

Supreme [H]ardness
I apologize for having not been around in nearly a year, but I picked up my 920 about a month ago. It's about as low (price-wise) as I will ever see a new-in-box D0 stepping 920 again. Even on an Intel-brand motherboard like the one in my sig, I got mine up to 3.5 GHz with just the stock Intel boxed CPU cooler.

And though I hardly play any games on the PC nowadays, I upgraded because high-definition video editing chores (especially AVCHD) started to tax my previous rig. I feel that I could push it a bit further if I had a better cooler for the CPU.