Comcast says my download speed is 0.0

philb2

Gawd
I just ran the Comcast website speed test, and I got this impressive result. As the folks in NATO would say, Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot.

1656026294366.png

GotNoRice

[H]F Junkie
I would not trust an in-house speed test anyway. They have tons of incentive to make their product look better than it is. Might as well ask a used-car dealer if a particular car that they are selling is fast or not. 3rd party speed-test sites would probably be a better bet: https://www.speedtest.net/

philb2

Gawd
I would not trust an in-house speed test anyway. They have tons of incentive to make their product look better than it is. Might as well ask a used-car dealer if a particular car that they are selling is fast or not. 3rd party speed-test sites would probably be a better bet: https://www.speedtest.ne
Usng the link above download is 128, upload is 41. This system is separated by two (drywall) walls from the router.

auntjemima

[H]ard DCOTM x2
I would not trust an in-house speed test anyway. They have tons of incentive to make their product look better than it is. Might as well ask a used-car dealer if a particular car that they are selling is fast or not. 3rd party speed-test sites would probably be a better bet: https://www.speedtest.net/
Recently had a young man come along and try and offer me a new contract with their company for internet. Told me that the 1000/1000 I pay for probably only gets 400. I said I tested it when I got it and it said 950. Then he says I bet you only tested it a long time ago and that alot of companies will make it look good but a month or two later throttle my speed when I'm not expecting it.

So I'm like, oh, crazy. Anyway, what is your offer? He offers 400 and I'm thinking it's 400/400, but it's 400/50, which is a no Bruno, then he says, well test your speed now, I bet it's lower and this 400 plan is less than half of what you're paying.

Tested. 950/680.

He left. Poor guy. I entertained him for a long time and even had a beer with him. I mean, I need the friends, clearly.

GotNoRice

[H]F Junkie
Usng the link above download is 128, upload is 41. This system is separated by two (drywall) walls from the router.

Are you using 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz WiFi, and which standard? (802.11n aka WiFi 4, 802.11ac aka WiFi 5, 802.11ax aka WiFi 6). Keep in mind that 802.11ac (WiFi 5) was a 5Ghz only standard so if you are using 802.11ac WiFi on 2.4Ghz, it's actually going to be using 802.11n (WiFi 4). Also there will be a huge difference in speed depending on how much interference you have from neighbors. If you are in a dense apartment complex for example, those speed results would be amazing, even with no walls in-between. Personally I wouldn't worry too much about WiFi speed unless something you are trying to do on a particular device is actually being held back (constant buffering while streaming, etc).

D

Deleted member 289973

If your speed is really low, consider Wi-Fi extenders like eero or something similar. I have 1000/1000 fiber-optic at my home, and in my office where the gateway is, I get very close to that. In my main room (living/dining/kitchen, open floor plan) I struggled to get more than 50 and sometimes it was even lower than that. Not only distance and walls cause interference, but also kitchen appliances, other electronics, and such. With the Wi-Fi extenders, I'm getting 500 Mbps pushed to all my connected devices no matter where in my house I am, or even out in the backyard. It's really quite nice.

philb2

Gawd
Are you using 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz WiFi, and which standard? (802.11n aka WiFi 4, 802.11ac aka WiFi 5, 802.11ax aka WiFi 6). Keep in mind that 802.11ac (WiFi 5) was a 5Ghz only standard so if you are using 802.11ac WiFi on 2.4Ghz, it's actually going to be using 802.11n (WiFi 4). Also there will be a huge difference in speed depending on how much interference you have from neighbors. If you are in a dense apartment complex for example, those speed results would be amazing, even with no walls in-between. Personally I wouldn't worry too much about WiFi speed unless something you are trying to do on a particular device is actually being held back (constant buffering while streaming, etc).
5.0 band in a private house. Close neighbors, lots of other WiFi domains detected.

I did the Comcast test for shits and grins, really. Wasn't expecting much and my expectations were met.

philb2

Gawd
If your speed is really low, consider Wi-Fi extenders like eero or something similar. I have 1000/1000 fiber-optic at my home, and in my office where the gateway is, I get very close to that. In my main room (living/dining/kitchen, open floor plan) I struggled to get more than 50 and sometimes it was even lower than that. Not only distance and walls cause interference, but also kitchen appliances, other electronics, and such. With the Wi-Fi extenders, I'm getting 500 Mbps pushed to all my connected devices no matter where in my house I am, or even out in the backyard. It's really quite nice.
In our back yard, the 5.0 band doesn't always reach, so I have to drop back to the 2.4 band. It's good enough for when I want to use my laptop or tablet out in the sunshine.

D

Deleted member 289973

In our back yard, the 5.0 band doesn't always reach, so I have to drop back to the 2.4 band. It's good enough for when I want to use my laptop or tablet out in the sunshine.
If your 2.4 is sufficient, then I wouldn't worry about it too much. At my house, my phone would struggle to stay on Wi-Fi at all if I went to the back yard, until I got the extenders.

SamirD

Supreme [H]ardness
Wireless can always be fickle. If you have a wired test with problems, that's usually an isp issue that you can call them on. Wireless working consistently is pretty much a fart in the wind...

SamirD

Supreme [H]ardness
5.0 band in a private house. Close neighbors, lots of other WiFi domains detected.

I did the Comcast test for shits and grins, really. Wasn't expecting much and my expectations were met.
Yeah, those other wifis will mess with yours. And they're probably on auto channel so you'll need to leave yours on auto too. So everything will be constantly hopping channels to try to find the best signal.

I like powerline and moca adapters for a nice wired experience. Wifi only when absolutely necessary.