Buying a new HDTV? Very good review/advice.

joemama

[H]F Junkie
I think it's great when someone takes the same scientific approach to HDTV's that they do desktop monitors...but they missed a very important part. Everyone wants to know which set they preferred after all that testing and they simply ended the article without addressing that at all. What I learned from that is pretty much what I already knew...and why I have 2 Panasonic plasmas and only use lcd for desktop monitors.;)

mathesar

[H]ard|Gawd
I gave up on LCDs but Im totally happy with my Kuro plasma, if you cant find one the latest Panasonic plasma's are excellent. As for PC monitors im fortunate to own a FW900 CRT thats still in top working condition.

SH1

[H]ard|Gawd
Unfortunately, the Samsung he used doesn't actually have a Samsung panel. One would only have gotten that set for the LED locally dimming backlighting, which was a first for the time in such a mass released product...

Greenwit

Gawd
I read in detail for awhile and then skimmed to the end for conclusions. Surprise! There are none. I don't know if they addressed this but one practical consideration is reflections/glare. Matte LCD screens produce very little and that which you see is very diffused. On plasmas, glare is an issue and what you see reflected can be as clear as day if you have a bright room. I have no dog in this race 'cause I own both a Panasonic plasma and Toshiba LCD HDTV. Both produce excellent pictures but the Panny glare often bothers me.